Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need Help Pulling Ignition Cyl in 92 4runner

Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Pulling Ignition Cyl in 92 4runner

I am in in kinda a hard place right now. I am stuck in remote baja and my key wont turn in a 92 automatic 4wd 4runner. I have determined it must be a worn out ignition cylinder. Problem is I cant pull it because I cant get the key to turn to the ACC, which where it has to be to depress the release button to pull the cylinder. Does anyone know of a way to get my key to turn to the ACC position. I have sprayed wd40, turned the wheel back and fourth, shifted my shifter, tried all my keys both ways, stepped on the brake, pushed the truck, nothing has worked. Any wisdom out there? I could really use it right about now. Thankfully I have satelite internet to get help.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-28-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can unbolt the ignition assembly from the column to unlock the steering and you can remove the ignition switch which is held on by 2 phillips screws and use a screwdriver to start it. The assembly is clamped on by two headless bolts. Use these to remove the screws:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d=bolt+remover

All you need to do is get a socket extension and a hammer and hit the head of the bolt so it bites into the head. Then take a ratchet and push hard as you can and loosen. You need to go to the hardware store and get allen head bolts to put back in when it comes time to reassemble. Also get a drill bit to drill the key tumbler release button on the side. Once you drill the button flat the tumbler will come out. If you had a key all you would have to do is turn the key to the run position and press the button to remove tumbler.

James
Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 PM

Great information James, but you have to remember he's in the middle of remote baja where I don't think there is a hardware store around....ha ha.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
he is with some mechanics ,I think he mentioned in another thread.

You can also cut some slots ( hacksaw blade)on those two bolts james is talking about and use a screwdriver to remove them .
Old 08-28-2009, 11:55 PM

A 12 point socket may work.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:30 AM

I went ahead and removed the whole steering column with one of the local mechanic's. I have identified the 2 headless bolts but since i have the entire column out do i still need to remove the ignition off the steering column? I assume the ignition switch is the small black box on the side of the ignition that is held on by the 2 phillips screws? I have removed that as well. If I drill out the depressable button on the bottom will that allow my ignition cylinder to slide out even if the key is in the locked position. Also will that do damage to the ignition or will it still be usable and accept a new ignition cylinder? Sorry for all the questions, just dont want to cause more damage than i already have? Thanks again!!

Mike
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 AM

You need to unbolt it, yes. That is the part that locks the steering wheel when the key is in the off position. You will see inside the steering shaft has a notch to lock the column. You do not have to take the tumbler out in order to get the truck started again. Just drill enough of the button away using the correct size drill bit to slide the tumbler out. If you enlarge the hole for the tumbler you may damage that part and then the new tumbler will not lock into place. What I would do is wait until you get home to remove the tumbler.

James
Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM

James,

Copy that, I 'm not sure if this matters or not but the key was locked and wouldnt move even when the steering wheel was not locked, eventually we turned the wheel far where it locked into place. Ok so once I remove the ignition from the column it sounds like i will keep it hanging until i get home so my steering wheel wont lock up again? Also, there is a similar year 4runner that is not running about 100 miles away and i may be able to get that ignition cylinder. If i get that one would you reccomend me just drilling out the whole and remove and replace the tumbler and not mess with the steering column?

Mike
Old 08-29-2009, 01:47 PM

YES!!!!!!, after countless and I mean countless hours of tapping, jiggling, oiling and every other type of imaginable jimmying i got the key into ACC!!!!!! So off to find another ignition cylinder. One last question....hopefully. Can I just start the car with needle nose pliers until I eithier get back home or find one down here. Thanks to all for your great advice.

Mike
Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Leave the key in the run position and unbolt the ignition switch and use the pliers to start the truck. Do not turn the ignition back because it may not unlock again, just let the part hang for now. Oh and tilt and non-tilt columns are different but the key tumblers are the same.

James
Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 PM

James, just want to thank you for all your help! I put everything back together before i read you reply. This is what i did. I pulled the cylinder and left the key into it, funny thing is it seems to work fine but I am not putting it back in!!!! So everything is back in place minus the ignition cylinder, it starts fine with pilers. Do I have to pull everything apart again to unbolt the ignition switch? i hope not but if it is a saftety issuie i will. Dont want my steering wheel to lock up on me. So, this is what i did to move the key into the acc position. I read a different post and the guy took a 2x4 and a hammer and he hit the end of the key which seemed to push the plunger and dislouge it? What can i say it worked!!! please let me know what you think, am i good to go as is? Again, thanks for all your time and advice!!!!!!!!!!

Stoked again in Baja,

Mike