86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help identifying smashed hose and electrical component

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help identifying smashed hose and electrical component

There is a hose smashed under the throttle body on my 90 4runner, 3vze engine, and i do not know what the electrical component that it connects to is? (see photos) It doesn't pass emissions, and was thinking this could be the cause. Might just cut the hose and replace it so i don't have to pull the whole throttle body and replace the gaskets. But cannot until i know what the hose and electrical switch that it connects to is for? Thanks for checking it out input is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Need help identifying smashed hose and electrical component-j-2.jpg   Need help identifying smashed hose and electrical component-j-3.jpg   Need help identifying smashed hose and electrical component-jared-1.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM

looks like the cold start injector but im not positive, dont know much about the 3.0's. Dont think that would cause any emissions issues though.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
First, the big hunk of aluminum on top of your engine is the plenum (or as MudHippy, who knows better than I do, calls it: the upper intake manifold). The throttle body is the complicated chunk attached to the left side that contains (duh) the throttle plate.

In picture No. 1, the metal line to the cold start injector is installed "backwards," meaning the banjo is flipped over. The metal part should tuck under the plenum. I don't think this will affect anything other than cold starting if that, certainly not smog. Note that you've got a funny line connected where the PCV line goes. Are you using vacuum for something else?

In the second picture, the vertical part is the PCV valve, obviously disconnected.

The third picture shows the cold start injector.

As far as the vacuum line under the plenum (presumably between the plenum and intake (lower) manifold), I can't tell what it is because you haven't told us where the other end goes. But I can certainly tell you that the end we can see doesn't belong there. It is probably producing a gap in the intake, which will suck in air and lean out the mixture. I would be surprised if it would run without throwing a code. Judging from the, uh, imaginative plumbing I can see, I wouldn't surprise me if someone rigged it up so it would run, but would never pass smog.

In California, I believe the missing EGR temp sensor alone would cause you to fail (by inspection).

The open PCV valve would absolutely cause you fail on inspection.

Sorry I don't have good news.

Last edited by scope103; 03-18-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM

Wow Scope, thank you! i disconnected the PCV valve so i could get a better picture of the smashed hose. That makes sense, it has some issues when trying to told start. And ive been trying to figure out why that bolt was there/ what goes in its place for some time. I'm going to pull the throttle body so i can trace the smashed hose. keep you updated on progress made. You the man!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
That's definitely the Cold Start Injector
Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM

+1 on the third pic. cold start injector. the tube that is pinched i would imagine needs to be connected to the pcv valve. Who was the last person to work on this??