Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help deciding -- fixing saggy rear-end!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help deciding -- fixing saggy rear-end!

I finally got sick and tired of the saggy rear end. I was at 4Wheel Parts today and a set of EMU coilsprings and shocks are going to run me around $600 with installs. I think its a rip-off, these guys must think I was born yesterday. I've seen an EMU stage I or II kit go for about the same price. I went to another shop and the sales person suggested airbags. He claims that its the cheapest way to go and the ride is comfortable. It should last a while as long as I don't do much wheelin'. I don't do much wheelin' since between my day and weekend job, I pretty much have no time to go wheelin'. However, I'd like to not be limited to what I can do with my truck up to a certain point.

So I decided to walk out of there. Not knowing where else to go locally, I turn to you all for knowledge and guidance. Searching the forum, I've found several options. Based on my current situation, I don't want to lift my 4Runner just yet. But in the distant future, I do plan to do a Procomp 6" suspension lift on 33" tires. I don't want to go any bigger than that since the 3.0 engine on this rig is not the strongest around. Right now, I just want to eliminate the saggy rear-end as I drive around town to and from work. I would like the least expensive solution, preferrably not requiring a purchase of a set of taller shocks. So what are my options at this point?? Can I eliminate the sag with a set of coil spring spacers, w/o needing to buy taller shocks? Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Here's a current pic of my 4Runner.

-Dennis

Last edited by DJK-West; 01-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Some may argue this on the account of brand and quality, but NAPA (or is it O'Reilly? I believe it's NAPA) sells MOOG brand coils that return the rear to stock height and are good quality. Don't remember the price, but it was quite fair.

Air bags I would use in case of hauling or towing.....only when needed so that the springs aren't overloaded. Otherwise the ride just isn't the same. Some may argue that, too....haha

Last edited by thook; 01-30-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OME HD-901 and 1.5" ball joint spacers.

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/4r...htm#Suspension

Old 01-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Did you end up replacing the shocks with taller ones??

Originally Posted by James Dean
OME HD-901 and 1.5" ball joint spacers.

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/4r...htm#Suspension

Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 PM

Question guys...

If I could get some longer shackles custom made, would I still need longer shocks? I think I still do but not too sure.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Ooops, never mind. I just remembered that the 2nd gen 4Runners don't use leaf springs.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 PM

If you go any higher than stock you will need taller shocks. I would just go ahead and shell out the extra money for new shocks anyway cause the ones your running are probably old stock ones doing nothing for your ride quality. Go get a set of OME coils and new shocks and do the install yourself. It's nothing for even a noob to get down there one weekend day or night and do it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 PM

well if you want to get technical the rear doesnt sag as much as it appears. your front fender sits higher than the rear
Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 PM

No, man. He's got the sags. Look at the running boards.

Oooops...optical illusion. The running boards are actually what's sagging. The body line is straight.

DJK....
You should take measurements at the body line on level ground and see if you're actually sagging. As 90inworks said, the front fenders do sit higher than the rears on 4rnr's.

Last edited by thook; 01-30-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. The stock shocks have been replaced by a set of Monroe shocks, got a deal on them. I just didn't have the extra cash for some performance ones since I have a lot of other issues that needs fixing quick and I was on a budget. I might just get a set of factory replacement rear coil springs. That might just do it for me.

BTW, the running board should be situated just like the body line since it is bolted on the vehicle's frame. Focusing on the running board, you will see that the front end of is higher than the rear end. You can see more of the red curb below when you look at the running board from front to back.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 PM

This should do it: http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/to...255317876.html

What do you guys think?
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 PM

get under it and measure from the ground to the frame.it looks like ur running boards r bolted lower in the rear.u can get spacers from napa or kragen to lift the rear coils some fit under or over and some jam between if u plan on liftin it later these r cheap and easy.all those 2nd gen sag a little and the higher front fenders really make it look saggy.get your self a fat girlfriend to sit shot gun that might help.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM

Okay....it's your truck, but that's the way it appears to me from the photo.

Of course, you could also measure the edge of the fender to the rim of your wheels. That's the best indicator. I don't know the specs on that, though.

Regardless, those springs will do the job.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM

Those look like stock running boards. Which aren't mounted to the frame, they are mounted to the underside of the body. I just took my running boards off week or two ago and the mounting brackets definitely did not mount to the frame.

Anyway's I think the cheapest way to fix your problem would be some 1"-2" coil spring spacers. Probably run you around 70ish area. Check out www.sdori.com. You can get new OME springs, shocks all round, with bj spacers for somewhere around $600. Check out www.trdparts4u.com. I did a lot of online searching and they had the prices on the net that I could find.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 PM

I wouldnt go air bags unless it was to level during towing. but 600 is a major rip off seing as how the install is very easy. If i was you I would just buy a set of OME springs and shocks online and learn a lil bit more about your truck and install them on a sat or whenever u have a free day. DONT FORGET THE BEER.
http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-CACJ-BBHG.aspx

that site has a list of OME//SDORI parts all seperate or in packages... will save you a ton over the 600 quoted price. Also the running boards at least to me only add to the effect of the saggy rear springs and taking them off makes the truck look so much better and higher.

keep us up to date with pics with whatever you decide to do.

PS
those moogs are more expensive then the EMU springs and the EMU springs are tried and true in wheeling applications and add some more room for weight in the back as they are heavy duty... 300lbs extra i believe over the stock springs. the moog might be cheaper when u take into account you dont have to buy new shocks as they dont say they provide any lift but your better off getting new OME shocks or something other then monroe as they are some of the cheapest shocks around and probably wont ride as good as the OME shocks.

Last edited by MRecio; 01-30-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 PM

search for my post... youcan make your own spacers really easily

you just need a 1" piece of 5" sch 80 and a 1.5" piece of 6" sch 80, slip them above the coil. wallah
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 AM

Hmmm... the SDORI spacers seem very affordable! Perhaps a 2" spacer would bring the height back slightly taller than stock. Compare it to the Moog factory replacement springs which would bring up the rear back to original height, maybe the 2" spacer would lift the rear a little over the original height which shouldn't hurt the stock shocks too much. Besides, the only issue is when the rear suspension drops down not compresses.

I'll take some measurements this weekend.

BTW, will I have any issues with the brake lines and cables when installer the spacer or taller springs/shocks?

Last edited by DJK-West; 01-31-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would say that it is kind of a waste of money to fix the sag with emu coils or moog coils now, and then try and put a procomp lift on later,

I don't think procomp makes 6inch lifts for you anyways, only 4 inch

alot of people on here (including me) will tell you not to bother with the procomp lift, or any braket style lift for that matter, and just put some ball joint spacers and longer shocks up front, and either [new coils and shocks] or [spacers and shocks] out back, it's much cheaper and you'll be able to run 33's

most bracket lifts will only come with spacers for the rear anyways, so you'll still sag (unless you fix it now)

here is a link to some emu stuff and ball joint spacers:
http://www.4by4connection.com/4runifsrearc.html
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

you don't need the torsion bars or the steering stabilizer, if you add all that with the BJ spacers up, it's about $543 before shipping and tax compare that to any bracket lift that you'll get for close to $500, which might not come with shocks and will definately use spacers in the rear

anyways, I say that you should just get the emu rear stuff now if that's all you can afford, then drive around with it raked until you can get the front stuff, or crank the trosion bars a little to level it out until you get the front stuff

I'm just trying to convince you that you shouldn't pay for springs twice, just doesn't make sense, you'll wind up wasting $100+ on the first set, that's alot of beer and slightly less gas, unless of course you really really want the procomp lift, then get the moog's now and use the spacer or whatever procomp gives you

btw your sag isn't that bad, I've seen them sitting 1-1.5 inches lower than yours

edit: wabfab has shock specifically for the ball joint spacers if you go that route:
http://www.wabfab.org/products/IFSlifts/IFS.htm
he's on here alot and seems like a pretty good guy, along with 4crawler too

I can't vouch for the 4x4connection place though, but other's on here say good stuff

Last edited by b.miller123; 01-31-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:22 AM

I get what you're saying. But how can a balljoint spacer clear 33" tires? Balljoint spacers only give you roughly around 1.5" of lift, is that all it takes to clear 33" tires? Also, cranking the torsion bars to eliminate the rake would not work for me. My 4Runner is 4WD. If I go with the EMU heavy duty coils, that would raise the rear end around 3.5" based on James Dean's suspension write-up. I would imagine that you'd need to crank up the front torsion bars a lot to level it off with the rears. Not a good thing for the CV boots up front.

I'm not set on getting the Procomp lift though. My buddy has an 84 4Runner with a Procomp lift and I love the stance. It's been on his rig for many many years and he has had zero issues with them. If I can fit 33" tires with just balljoint spacers upfront, heavy duty coil springs or spacers in the rear, and taller shocks all the way around without trimming the fenders, then I'm sold on that setup. However, I really doubt that this set up would clear those tires.

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I would say that it is kind of a waste of money to fix the sag with emu coils or moog coils now, and then try and put a procomp lift on later,

I don't think procomp makes 6inch lifts for you anyways, only 4 inch

alot of people on here (including me) will tell you not to bother with the procomp lift, or any braket style lift for that matter, and just put some ball joint spacers and longer shocks up front, and either [new coils and shocks] or [spacers and shocks] out back, it's much cheaper and you'll be able to run 33's

most bracket lifts will only come with spacers for the rear anyways, so you'll still sag (unless you fix it now)

here is a link to some emu stuff and ball joint spacers:
http://www.4by4connection.com/4runifsrearc.html
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...ntSpacer.shtml

you don't need the torsion bars or the steering stabilizer, if you add all that with the BJ spacers up, it's about $543 before shipping and tax compare that to any bracket lift that you'll get for close to $500, which might not come with shocks and will definately use spacers in the rear

anyways, I say that you should just get the emu rear stuff now if that's all you can afford, then drive around with it raked until you can get the front stuff, or crank the trosion bars a little to level it out until you get the front stuff

I'm just trying to convince you that you shouldn't pay for springs twice, just doesn't make sense, you'll wind up wasting $100+ on the first set, that's alot of beer and slightly less gas, unless of course you really really want the procomp lift, then get the moog's now and use the spacer or whatever procomp gives you

btw your sag isn't that bad, I've seen them sitting 1-1.5 inches lower than yours
Old 01-31-2008, 12:32 AM

These trucks will clear 33X10.50 on stock suspension and 33X12.50 will clear with ball joint spacers and the right backspace with little to no issues at all.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding -- fixing saggy rear-end!