Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help, cant get 4x4 working after engine swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help, cant get 4x4 working after engine swap.

Hi,
Im in Australia and changed my 3.slow to a Buick v6, also with the Holden 4speed auto.
The original in the 91 4runner was 3vze, r150f and Vf1a transfer.
Now because of the transplant i had to use a different Transfer RF1A. My problem is i cant get the 4wd add working.
Im not sure if anyone can work out the wiring and tell me if there is a quick wiring solution i can do?

Any input from anyone is helpfull.
Any more info you require please ask and i will answer.

Cheers
Old 10-12-2009, 02:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope someone chimes in since im in the same situation. what about your reverse light, did you get that to work?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 AM

Yes. reverse light was pretty easy to do, I got the wire from under (Aus) passenger seat and ran it to the Holden gear selector. If you can wait a day or so i can tell you the colours. its pretty easy to do.
If no one helps with this wiring to get 4x4 back, i will work it out for myself somehow. its jsut easer with peoples input who know a little bit more than me.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
These two articles may help you. When I swapped in my 3.4, I pulled all the VSV and vacuum lines, permanently engaged the front sleeve, and added locking hubs. Might be easier in the long run to go this route. Yes, you do have to get out and lock the hubs when you want 4x4, but it's no big deal if you drive in 2wd most of the time. Saves wear and tear on your CVs.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/ar....jsp?id=399612

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/
Old 10-12-2009, 03:17 PM

how do i take my 4x4 and manual shifter apart i need to weld on 3 in spacers? can anyone help wit thread or website to help me? thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by jtcessna
how do i take my 4x4 and manual shifter apart i need to weld on 3 in spacers? can anyone help wit thread or website to help me? thanks
Post a new thread of your own and don't hijack someone else's.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Post a new thread of your own and don't hijack someone else's.
wow ur an . all i needed was a little help im new to yota tech and this has been the only way to get answers, i dont know how to post or i would, so y dont u go hydro lock ur truck buddy
Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM

wow ur an . all i needed was a little help im new to yota tech and this has been the only way to get answers, i dont know how to post or i would, so y dont u go hydro lock ur truck buddy

You're first expected to search, then ask. If the question hasnt been asked, start a new thread. Figure it out. It isnt that hard. Look around carefully on the 86-95 page for the right button to start a new thread. When you agreed to the therms of usage for this forum, those were some of the things you signed off on doing. Just because you don't like what he has to say doesnt mean he's wrong. Not for nothing, but you will get attitude for thread hijacks, off topic rants, or asking a question for the millionth time without searching first (like can I fit 33" tires on my ride... etc.). Otherwise, welcome to Yotatech.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:53 PM

i searched and nothing came up. but my own thread i posted. so i figured since yall were talking about spacers and lifts yall would know since u had to extend ur shifters too. thts all i am sayin
Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
well...
it's called hijacking mang.
it makes it hard for the OP to get his answer answered
Old 10-12-2009, 05:26 PM

I don't want to interrupt your stealing of my post but who mentioned spacers / lifting? i never did. This is about wiring a 4x4 diff and transfer to work. Can you stop going on about lifts / spacers so people can get back to my topic.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
lol

can't we all just get along...

Yeah I think that personally, I'd get rid of the ADD system and just put on manual hubs, as RobD was saying. For the most part, they're VERY realiable (more so than the ADD system from what I've seen), they're easy to maintain, they save ware on you CV's and boots, plus you can make them all purdy so they look good even when your cruising the streets in 2wd

Old 10-12-2009, 05:46 PM

Nice response. Go ask your same question on Pirate and see where it gets you, kiddo.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/welcome1.php

And there was nothing in this post about lifts, either. It's about an engine swap. Not even close, junior.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:03 PM

Is there any information on the Transfer. When i put it in high/ low it stays the same, i see there is 2 wires to a plug coming from it, Is that some sort of solenoid to prevent you to use high when not in 4wd mode? if so what do i need to do to get it switched to a switch in the cab.
I will go the manual hub option as i was thinking about this before plus i can remove all the hsv valves in the engine bay and wont have to hook the vacuum up.

Thanks so far.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM

What kind of transfer case do you have? I know mine (lever operated) has a plug on the side that is supposed to activate the VSV and engage the front actuator, but I never hooked it up after my swap.

I simply ran a line to one side of the actuator, capped off the other, pulled all the valves and the canister from the front fender and run with the manual hubs.

Easy peasy.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 AM

The transfer in it now i think its the RF1A.
and the original behind the 3vze>r150f>VF1a

Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 AM

dont know anything aout wiring but i just took off the add actuator on the dif and locked(pushed aside and secured)... now I have to change the hubs to manual. I just told my wife that the only way she knows if its in 4wd is to look at the shifters. I really wish i knew electronics, yesterday i burned 2 fuses and almost started the truck while i was under it just by jumping wires on the big gray plug for the auto tranny!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:11 AM

after re reading your thread I realize you're not writing about your 4x indicator!! Good luck man, i'm still running a w56, wish I could help.

I just got my 4x light working on my 89 pickup, it has the w56 but I'm sure my method will work for your 4runner swap. What I did was unplug the connector on the tranny, you wont need to mess with it yet. Put shifter in 4x. Then meter continuity to ground on the pins ON TRANNY. When you hear a beep from your meter take shifter out of 4x, if the beep stops you have found your 4x indicator pin. (I shifted in and out of 4x a few times to hear the beep go on and off just to be sure I got the right wire). OKAY, once you have found the wire on the tranny find the matching wire in the connector that plugs into the tranny, strip the wire, DIODE ISOLATE and connect a new wire and run it to the passenger kick panel. Then remove instrument cluster and probe negative 4x wire at the instrument cluster harness, then use your meter to test each pin on the harness in the passanger kick panel for continuity. When you hear the beep, you have found the wire to complete the circuit. I put a 5amp fuse between the two wires and it works like a charm.

Or you could do a hack job and use a 1a fuse (have many on standby) and jumper the wire from the tranny to the pins in the harness in the passenger kick while the shifter is in 4x and ignition is on and when you get the right wire the light will turn on.

Last edited by yotaman107; 10-13-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM

Ok, my new developments.

Here is a list of wires and connections.

Transfer case: 1 connector to 2 blue wires.
Front Diff: Front Plug - Red / Yellow - Green/white
Back Plug - Green / Red - Green Black

Solenoids in Eng compartment:
: Main solenoid with vac hoses that goes to Vac tank in front bumper, vac cruise control and also another solenoid.
: Main Solenoid:- Black / Red
: VSV 1:- Pink/Green - White/Black
: VSV 2:- Green - White/Black
: Other Solenoid Valve:- White/Black - Red
-------------------
What i would like to try do:
I would like a switch on the dash that when its one way it will turn on the ADD and the dash light.
When other side it turns off ADD and dash light.
I am thinking i can wire up the correct VSV solenoid and dash cable to is.
----------------
My current problem.
I have 2 blue wires from the Transfer case im not sure where they go or what they do as when i move the shifter to other low / high mode it does nothing and stays in high. Not sure if that blue wire is some sort of connection to tell the Transfer that its in 4wd mode and enable high / low mode?

thanks everyone for your help thus far. I also have picked up a full front ADD diff and cv joints and also Asisin Locking hubs for $100
So will go manual but stil lwould like to have the ADD on switch if i can.

Cheers