Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help with 87 Toyota truck 22re

Old 03-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with 87 Toyota truck 22re

Ok. The problem I'm having is my truck will start and drive fine but won't idle. I've changed the fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor and still not working. It was running great about a month ago but all of the sudden it just wouldn't idle. I'm also noticing a strong fuel smell, not sure if that might be the problem. Anyway, I just payed a mechanic $60 to tell me to change the plugs and all that. Well I did that and nothing. If someone could PLEASE help that would be great. And if theres already a post here somewhere related to this then please post the link for me.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:19 PM

welcome to yotatech!! its a great place. how many milles on it? have to checked the idler screw on the throtle body?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM

Motor has 156k on it. I've adjusted the idler screw, its weird that it will idle for awhile even after its warmed up, but out of nowhere it will just stop. I haven't tried adjusting the timing yet. I figured I'd throw up a post to see if someone could point me in the right direction before I really start tearing chit up.

And yes this sight rocks, I can't believe I've never been here..lol.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM

dont think its your timing.. does it run fine? or does it just die out of the blue? how is it to start? long crank, have to give gas?
Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Runs great. I bought this truck two years ago and noticed that when the truck has been running for awhile and I shut it off then try to start, it takes a few trys to get it started, I then notice the strong fuel odor, like a carbon build up. If it sits overnight it will start right up. For the most part the truck runs great.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
clogged fuel filter?? try to eliminate the easy stuff first
Old 03-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Already did that, if you read my initial post you'll see what all I've done. Just running out of easy stuff to try. I'm thinking egr valve or pcv, I just don't know what to look for next. I've checked all of the vaccum lines and don't see or hear any leaks. I'm stumped.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM

test your fuel pump if you can. get it to act up on you. like when you said that when its warm takes a little bit to start up again. get it to that point and test see if your fuel pump is getting hot and not making the pressure it needs to be making. that would be my next step in testing.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:56 PM

I'll try that out tomorrow...Was kinda hoping it wasn't the fuel pump, but I'll check and see.

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 PM

if anything for a fuel pump you can always buy one and put it on the frame rail. thats what i was going to do for mine if it goes out so that its easy to get to. but thats just what i was going to do because in the future was wanting to put in a fuel cell.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the TPS, if its bad or out of adjustment it will cause idle problems as well as other problems.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Took me awhile to get to this, but it looks like I need a new distributor and TPS. Its also throwing an oxygen sensor code.
Looks like the distributor and TPS are spendy Might go to the junkyard and find one, unless someone here has some parts for sale. If so, let me know please cause I don't want to buy new, I'll settle for used as long as they work.
Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM

What makes you think you need a new distributor ?, you can replace the pick up coil if that`s whats bad for a lot less than a complete distributor. I would recomend replacing the oxygen sensor with an OEM Denso sensor, don`t buy a Bosch oxygen sensor because they don`t work well in our toyotas. Do a Google search for the TPS, i just bought a new one for around sixty five dollars for my 86 4Runner.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
What makes you think you need a new distributor ?, you can replace the pick up coil if that`s whats bad for a lot less than a complete distributor. I would recomend replacing the oxygen sensor with an OEM Denso sensor, don`t buy a Bosch oxygen sensor because they don`t work well in our toyotas. Do a Google search for the TPS, i just bought a new one for around sixty five dollars for my 86 4Runner.
I took it to a mechanic, he told me the codes and reccomended buying a new TPS, distributor and oxygen sensor. I figured I'd start with the oxygen sensor first, then go from there. I did the google search and found a TPS for the same price. As far as the distributor, he said it was most likely the problem I'm having when the truck has a hard time starting when warm. If its just the pick up coil then I'll try that instead of buying the whole unit. FRIGGIN shady mechanic anyway. The only reason I took it there was because I wanted to see if it was throwing any codes, he charged me $55 bucks to tell me that.

Thanks for your help myyota
Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM

IAC, Idle Air Control Valve on top of the Valve Cover. I bet that might have something to do with your problem...
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 PM

Before you go and spend a lot of money that you don`t need to, what codes did your mechanic get ?. If the TPS on your truck is original with lots of miles on it, then it can wear out and i`ve seen a bad TPS cause starting problems or no start at all. I replaced the TPS on my 86 4Runner because it had over 200.000 miles on it, and i knew it was a matter of time before it went bad. If you oxygen is the original one with lots of miles on it, then just replace it, and buy a Denso replacement. They do wear out. I replaced the one on my 4Runner because it was original. I doubt there is anything wrong with your distributor, but a new replacement distributor is 175.00 - 200.00 and a pick up coil is around 80.00 from Rock Auto, you can sometimes find them on special for 30.00 - 50.00. I bought one a while back for 30.00.
Your mechanic doesn`t sound to bright, he just wants you to throw parts at the problem to hopefully fix the problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Well the codes he said it was throwing were 3,6 and 11.
3 according to my Haynes manual is Iginiter circuit, igniter or computer
6 is Igniter circuit, igniter, Distributor or computer
11 is AC switch, Throttle position sensor circuit, throttle position sensor or computer.

I haven't bought anything yet, just trying to figure out what to try first.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM

but a lot of times one code sets another code. and did he clear the codes before he checked it? cause they may be old codes that are in there. its just an idea i thought of
Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2Redneck
Well the codes he said it was throwing were 3,6 and 11.
3 according to my Haynes manual is Iginiter circuit, igniter or computer
6 is Igniter circuit, igniter, Distributor or computer
11 is AC switch, Throttle position sensor circuit, throttle position sensor or computer.

I haven't bought anything yet, just trying to figure out what to try first.
Ok, replace the TPS first, make sure its properly adjusted and then clear the codes and see what happens. Sometimes when the TPS goes bad it can set off other codes. I would still replace the oxygen sensor if its the original one, because of its age. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:51 PM

He said he didn't reset the codes.

I'll buy the oxygen sensor and TPS and let you all know what happens..It might take a week or so for I'm in the middle of remodeling my bathroom...Trying to focus on that and my truck is giving me a headache. Thankfully I have a commuter car for getting to work. I just want my truck fixed before the high lakes open up next month.

Thanks guys. Happy St. Pattys Day.