Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need to haul more weight. What route should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to haul more weight. What route should I go?

Ok. So the situation is I have a 1994 pickup and I loaded it down with somewhere between 750 - 1250 lbs of fresh cut oak. I want to start hauling this much or more regularly about 60 miles. When I loaded it down I was sagging what seemed like quite a bit. I only drove it around in the yard, so I didn't bottom out the tires on the wells or anything, but I am a little worried if I start doing this regularly at 55 mph. So I'm wondering what the best route would be and also have some questions about the possible options.

1) Add a Leaf: How much does adding these to rear end increase hauling capability? Do I need to raise my front end if I do this? Anyone know of a video tutorial that is good for this job? (Saw a couple on youtube, but the guys were idiots).

2)Zuk mod: Same questions as above.

I would appreciate any advice, stats, and tutorials people could provide. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by hexrain
... but the guys were idiots...
You have a "half-ton" truck. The load capacity is not determined just by the stiffness of the springs, but pretty much every part of the truck. If you're a whole lot smarter than the engineers who designed it, then you might be able to figure out all the parts that need to be replaced to increase the load capacity. But if not, shoot a video of how you do it and load it onto YouTube. It sounds like you'll have lots of company.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:33 PM

X2 ^^ Or just buy a bigger truck with a trailer rated for your intended uses.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Better breaks, make sure your frame is strong and some chevy 63 springs. I say go for it.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hellwig helper springs would work.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Not sure if Super Springs makes a set for your truck.If you have the 4x4 they do not the 2wd.

I haul that much weight just about every time my Tacoma gets used sometimes trips as far as several hundred miles.

The most weight I had was a Ton not something I would do again but I got it done.

The best aftermarket upgrade I ever did but you need to start with new or close to new springs or your just wasting your money and time.

This is not something to go cheap on do it right.

One must remember to drive in a very different manor then with a unloaded truck .
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Rated capacity also includes the weight in the cab IE you..
Overload the truck, get in a wreck..better hope your insurance will still pay.

Get a fullsize, your might find your guessimate is way off on your total weight. RuN your empty truck through a scale (they leave weigh station scales on so you can see the weight in my neck of the woods), than weigh it loaded...
Old 01-20-2015, 04:09 AM

well i just bought this truck so im not going to buy a new one... and i despise full size gas hogs. so if i load it down im definately going to baby it and probably piss off everyone behind me going 50 in a 65, but that is acceptable. can anyone answer my question? do i need to do anything to the front end if i add a leaf or zuk mod to the back... note this is a 2wd.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
people did mention some ideas already....

but as far as safety is concerned, make sure your tires can handle it and you don't overheat brakes. DO a quick search on ebay for a new pair of leaf springs... install it yourself.. Can't imagine more than $150.

Also, unless you have oversize tires, they won't be the first thing to show that your suspension has set all the way. I believe you have bump stops (that what they call them?)
Old 01-20-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how about buying a trailer?
Old 01-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Toyota's don't get that great of mpg. A 1 ton wouldn't be that bad.

But if you're going to haul that much with your Toyota, brakes would need to be upgraded.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I think the trucks ok hauling that load. Payload for xcab 4wd is like 1400lbs. Braking is the questionable area for safety like many stated, I agree. I have hauled much more and have 33s - braking is definitely taxed. Could also be resolved with lspv adjustment or booster upgrade, I dunno. I've personally never thought about brake upgrade yet -- don't those require larger wheels to clear brakes?

For the weight, new leafs are the best overall route but will run you at least $300 for quality leafs - perhaps old man emu heavy leafs if doing this a lot. Add a leaf, zuk, custom packs, Chevy leafs, etc are suggested a lot on this site. I would personally choose airbags if going with the bandaid fix, since they're adjustable. I chose OME on my current truck and am happy with the outcome.

One ton pickup has other stuff that helps haul extra payload - full float axles and beefier leafs I believe. Could be more - not hard to upgrade 1/2 ton with these items.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:05 AM

ok so i am getting the feel of where to go from here, thanks! but no one has said whether the mods/ add a leaf requires doing anything to the front end. can someone tell me? i seem to have read a lot of people doing this in tandem with lifting/spacing the front end as well. is that just aesthetic or is there some mechanical reason for it?

Last edited by hexrain; 01-21-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 AM

Airbags would be ideal. Either way, front end mods not necessary as 1300lbs is not overly excessive. These trucks are overbuilt in most ways except brakes/rear suspensions. If you're driving smart the brakes are fine and adding a leaf or some bags will solve your problem. Adding a leaf will stiffen it up unloaded where bags can be emptied and not affect unloaded ride quality.

I would also suggest filling your rear tires near max cold psi while hauling. Search the netz for general hauling tips if you like.

I used to haul over a half ton of dirt 15 miles with my stocker 76 2wd, handled it without issue freeway/hills/etc... Some folks have great reading comprehension but little real world experience and thus are overzealous safety Nazis. You do not come across as the village idiot, I'm sure you'll be just fine.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 AM

ok so i am getting the feel of where to go from here, thanks! but no one has said whether the mods/ add a leaf requires doing anything to the front end. can someone tell me? i seem to have read a lot of people doing this in tandem with lifting/spacing the front end as well. is that just aesthetic or is there some mechanical reason for it?
i don't think you'll have to do anything up front with an AAL or even helper springs - they should keep you at stock height, but be stiffer. same with air bags, you won't see any lift over stock height -- just keep in mind that "stock height" might be slightly higher than you are now, due to age and sag.

if you went with brand new leafs, then yes, you'd likely want to lift the front a little to compensate for the resulting rake. when i looked for my truck i couldnt find any stock height leafs unless i went with a much more expensive setup, like custom leafs vs off the shelf parts. all the ones i found were 1.5-2" minimum lift over stock height, with stock shackle length. i installed my OMEs a few months before I did the front and the truck was definitely raked like a 70s muscle car, I was not a fan.

you don't technically have to lift the front if you raised the rear, but you'd for sure want to adjust your LSPV so you get proper braking force when unloaded. on trucks that haul lots of weight all the time, they're usually raked when unloaded. if you do need to adjust the front height a little, use the tbars and then get an alignment.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 AM

how much more hauling capacity could i expect from the different options. zukmod, add a leaf, or air bags?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:32 AM

how much more hauling capacity could i expect from the different options. zukmod, add a leaf, or air bags?
technically speaking, none. all these mods are going to do is help keep the bed from dropping when you put said load inside. your actual payload capacity remains unchanged. springs to support weight is only one part of the equation.

to truly increase hauling capacity you will need many other upgrades - larger brakes, stronger axle housing, stronger axle shafts, different tires, etc etc. even if you completed all these necessary upgrades to increase hauling capacity, a cop can still justifiably ticket you since you if over the limit of what was DOT approved for your vehicle. you would have to go through the legal-side of things to get your rig approved, to be correct with the law.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:55 PM

so i have decided on ZUK mod... i went to the pick and pull today and got some jeep cherokee springs (front) and im getting some things fabbed up to hold the springs on axle and frame, as the 94 pickups only have a top bumpstop. it will total $150 not counting the spring compressor i had to rent, but im going to get that money back.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Airbags are your answer with a self leveling kit. Otherwise you are throwing your money away. Zuk Mod wont help keep you level which will effect your braking more than the weight. Even after that get ready to replace a lot of brake pads/shoes...Best bet is get a trailer with a electric brake set up. I fix a lot of trucks who think the cheapest way is the best way and end up in my shop either totaled out or wishing they were, and yeah your insurance rep will most likely deny your claim if your overloaded, and Highonpottery is correct your hauling cap. wont increase at all on your installing just a set of springs. Your running gear all the way to your frame will suffer.

Last edited by Mikel1871; 01-24-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Brake wear hauling more weight then normal is pretty much based on driving style more then anything else .

I see no more brake wear then normal ( my normal)I am at 50,000 miles on the brakes I installed about 2 years ago.

Very seldom does my Tacoma get driven with less then 900 to 1200 pound payload.

Then my advanced age could be a factor as well!! I get told I am number one quite a bit driving the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Need to haul more weight. What route should I go?