Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

need engine guru help, 22-re noise driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need engine guru help, 22-re noise driving me crazy

so i,ve got this bearing hum coming from the front of my engine, it only make the noise at around 800 rpm/idle. i,ve got new belts, just replaced alternater and power steering idler. i cant figure it out, im about to take it to a shop. i fear that its some internal engine bearing. engine has 210k miles.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Before you do any of that, make sure its no an acessory that is causing the noise. Remove all the belts which isolates just the engine itself. If the noise is still there, you knows its inside the engine. If the noise is gone, you know its an accessory. If the noise is gone, start putting belts on one by one until you find the noise, which will pinpont the problem.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Before you do any of that, make sure its no an acessory that is causing the noise. Remove all the belts which isolates just the engine itself. If the noise is still there, you knows its inside the engine. If the noise is gone, you know its an accessory. If the noise is gone, start putting belts on one by one until you find the noise, which will pinpont the problem.
i,ve already done that. it could be the water pump but im not going to run the engine with that belt off.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
x2, but you've tried that....

I had a noise like this once and it was a Tranny Bearing(COULD HAVE SWORN it was more toward the front end. Really gotta get in there with a long rod or steth., checking to see where it's coming from.

My friend had what sounds like a similar thing, and it was the oil pump bearing.

HATE THOSE DARN MYSTERY NOISES! lol . Good luck!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 PM

Ditto. Why take it to a shop? Unless you don't like your hard-earned money, and want to give it to somebody else. In that case, bring your truck down and pay me to fix it! I'm an hour East of Wichita. (just kidding, but if you would happen to be in the area, I'd take a look at it. However, I'm no guru, but I could probably find the noise for you.)
Old 05-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i agree with death cougar do that. but i have a question. is it loud and annoying or a small little hum? because these old toyotas make all kinds of sounds, some i fix and some are just there too stay lol. but yeah do what deathcougar said and then go from there. maybe get a few other people to hear the sound too? and hey if its loud maybe get a video for us
Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by hayduke
i,ve already done that. it could be the water pump but im not going to run the engine with that belt off.
as long as you dont let it run for a long time and overheat it, it will be ok just to see if the noise is the water pump.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
as long as you dont let it run for a long time and overheat it, it will be ok just to see if the noise is the water pump.
the noise is only at a low rmp, when i start it cold it has the high idle to warm up faster and doesnt make the noise.
its almost like the bearing has to heat up to start making noise.

Last edited by hayduke; 05-04-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
warm it up with the belt on until its at low idle. then turn it off and remove the belts and restart it. its not going to over heat in that amount of time. you can also have someone watch the temp gauge.
or the other option is to take it to a shop and start paying the diagnostic fee at an hourly rate to find the noise $$$$
Old 05-04-2010, 06:44 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you push in the clutch does it go away? If you put the transfer case in N does it?

Mine makes some noise. Sounds like I'm sewing up a storm when it's warmed up.

Lots of more common problems to look for. Get 3' of hose and listen. That's what a shop will do. The timing chain might make noise, have you checked that?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Yep, I think they call it "NOI$E" in the shops around here, lol. Jk, I know how annoying and, more so, concerning these noises can be. I've been driving these and doing minor and semi-heavy fixes to them(22re's) since 1995.....and while I can usually tell what a 'whining' or 'grinding' or 'thumping' or 'clicking' is....there are just some things in these lil diesel sounding sewing machines that become the PERPETUAL MYSTERY....that is, of course, until you tear it down completely. I've replaced an Idler pulley that was doing this......then a week later, I had another, different sounding whine.......IT WAS THE DEFECTIVE BEARING IN THE BRAND NEW IDLER PULLEY I'D JUST INSTALLED! lol. You'll find it, ...think of it as a guessing game with yer woman....you tweak and work her till you got it figured out......Sorry, lol.

I say we start a wager here, and let's guess what it is....

I say Water Pump; Mine never really made much noise until it warmed up though.(I guessed that cuz I don't want to wish him something worse.)

OH YEAH, ......'GET A ROD OR STETHOSCOPE TO IT', k? Check everything, even the new Alt. and pulley. Make sure your belts aren't too tight, either.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:38 PM

MM Hmmmm, .....

Originally Posted by Moonfish
If you push in the clutch does it go away? If you put the transfer case in N does it?

Mine makes some noise. Sounds like I'm sewing up a storm when it's warmed up.

Lots of more common problems to look for. Get 3' of hose and listen. That's what a shop will do. The timing chain might make noise, have you checked that?
Could the Oil Pump make this noise as it expanded from a lil heat?

More info, please? Are you not driving it because of this noise? Do you hear it only when at an idle?(cuz you said when you're revving it up or it's just idling high, you hear nuttin). I agree with the person above who said, "Warm it up and then pull the belt to the pump/fan", .....you can do it long enough to just find this sucka! Plus, without the fan going for a minute, you'll hear better, eh?

Couldn't be the fan clutch, could it? I know they RAREEEEEELY go out.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 PM

ok i'll try running without the belt tomorrow.
yea the noise is only at like 800rpm and also when i shut it off you can hear it until the engine stops rotating. when its humming and been running a while it will make a little chatter every so often.
not the fan clutch either, i took it off and it still made the noise.
still does it with clutch in, havent tried transfer case neutral but im pretty sure its engine or water pump related.
im only driving the truck when i absolutly need it. i have a second vehicle.
i hope its just the water pump too. is that a pretty simple install on 22re?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:47 AM

took off the belt and couldnt hear the noise. put it back on and still couldnt hear it. go figure. new water pump is $30 so im going to throw that in today.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM

Aisin Water Pump? Mine lasted 210K miles..just a thought.

And, to answer your question, YES, it's easy. However, that depends on if it's your first one, etc. Know what I mean? Just be sure to read the bolt pattern/layout and TORQUE THEM TO SPECS, not "Yeah, that's tight". It bolts to the timing cover as you know, so careful, lol.

Good luck, man....but just an FYI.....: Something I've learned on here, which is easy to forget.....'Don't replace things until you find the problem...you could buy a small island, like TED did, if you saved that money and diagnosed it to death!', haha. Maybe you just had the belts too tight? It's happened to me.....they pulled too hard on the Idler and 'WEERREEEEEREEEEER", it got noisy, ..nevermind my 'noise-spelling', lol.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM

mine lasted 210k also. just replaced it with a cheap one which i normally dont do. i think it fixed the problem though.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM

Right on! Yeah, my last one, from NAPA, a lil better than the typical parts store model(I think....who knows.lol), lasted 2 WEEKS! LOL. The bearing was defective....sounded like an electric car, "ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW', HAHAHA.

Great news, man.....glad you got it figured. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mark