86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advise might be buying this 87 4runner SAS

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advise might be buying this 87 4runner SAS

This will be my first 4x4 and new to this scene.
Is there anything I should be looking at? I will Be using this
as a daily and some trails on the weekends also hunting. What are
Your thoughts on this one? He's asking around 6k obo. Thanks guys.

INFO on the runner.

1987 Toyota 4-Runner clean title
Solid Axel Swap
215,000 on body
1500 miles on new motor and tranny
Chromolly axels front and rear w/1500 miles
529 gears front and rear w/1500 miles
Spool in rear - rear wheels locked 24\7
Detroit locker in front
4.7 gears in transfer case
Tranny re-geared
2006 Toyota Tacoma leaf springs in rear with 10 leafs for heavy loads
53inch Chevy leaf springs up front
Blisten shocks front and rear
Used to be an automatic - switched to 5 speed
Trail gear bumpers front and rear
Trail gear rock sliders
Brand new 35 cooper discovery tires
New brakes front and rear
Smogged & registered
Aftermarket stereo and speakers
Smog legal header
New exhaust
New cat converter
Magna flow muffler
Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Welcome to Yoto Tech!!

If this indeed has a spool in the rear if your planning on driving this as a daily driver you will get real good at changing rear drive line parts.

The rear tires being unable to slip on hard dry roads when making turns create huge amounts of stress on the drive line parts things will break

If indeed this has a spool in the rear it is not meant to be driven on hard surface roads .

Maybe the wrong term was used who knows .

This is a call only you can make depending on just what your looking for.

Myself I don`t think this is a good vehicle for your first 4x4 just my thoughts.

Are you skilled enough and have the place to work on things that break and do the maintenance??

Without looking in person and spending some time doing this looking at the quality of the workmanship.

Who can say it might be a super deal the one in a life kind then it could be a garage queen that costs you another $10,000 to drive it 10 miles .

Was the engine type just missed ?? Is it brand new out of the box engine and transmission?? Just who built the engine and trans??

Then maybe it is new as a unknown running used engine ??

Then maybe this whole 4Runner comes in a big box all in parts??

I wish you luck no matter how this plays out we have a good amount of information read and bring yourself up to speed on these great vehicles.

Please feel free to ask questions
Old 01-12-2015, 10:30 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Given your intended use and experience level, I think I would let this one go by. It's built as a trail rig, and not really suitable as a daily driver. It would be a real handful on snow and ice; the rear end would tend to break loose every time you turn a corner. This rig is for an experienced trail runner wanting to go the next step in terms of rock crawling, not for the newbie just wanting to get off the pavement into the backcountry. Best if it comes with an F250 and a low-boy trailer to transport it to the trailhead.

Plus, I think 6K is too much for an '87 with 200K+ miles. I realize it has a lot of extras, but as Wyoming says, you don't know what kind of shape everything is in. A driver who needs a rear spool, 5.29 gears, and a 4.7 t-case is likely pretty hard-core and the truck has probably seen some pretty tough terrain.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
in CA i would consider that a pretty good deal - but like everyone else has said, it may not be the best choice as a first 4x4 vehicle, since it sounds like a trail-purposed rig.

for me, I see red flag whenever i see a rig for sale with lots of recent upgrades and not many miles put on afterward - like on this rig there is new engine, trans, and gears and it all has only 1500 miles on it....IMO it's not enough time to see if any problems develop....and then he could afford to put all these new parts on it and only priced at $6k?
Old 01-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech. I agree with the other members as far as using it as a dd. I do dd my sas'd 86' 4runner, and it takes some getting used to, especially in winter driving. I don't have a spool, but I have a V8 swapped in, so the tires break loose in 2wd really easily any time I hit a patch of black ice. Driving in slushy conditions is a chore as well, 35x12.50's like to pull you around when you hit slush, no fun when meeting on coming traffic. If I had another vehicle, I wouldn't dd my 4runner.
That being said, if you decide to go ahead and buy the 4Runner, make sure you look it over really well. If you have a friend who's a mechanic or welder that could go with you, that would be a plus.Make sure you check over how the SAS was done. How do the welds look? what kind of parts did they use? Did they move the front axel forward, if so how much? What did they do for a front driveline? I just saw a similar thread like yours on another forum, and the CL add said that the sas was done by a professional shop. He posted up some pics, and it looked like a hack job, the stock steering arms had been modified to work kind of like high steer, the shackles weren't ran through the frame, they had welded mounts to the bottom of the frame, the front spring hanger looked like they just cut the spring mounts off of a straight axel frame and welded them to the ifs frame. A rig like this that isn't done properly might function ok out on the trail, but could be dangerous on the road at high speeds...I know I'm rambling, lol, just make sure if your going to buy it that it's safe, and that it's worth the money! Good luck!

Last edited by rustED; 01-12-2015 at 12:56 PM.