86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Name that hose!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name that hose!

Firstly, I searched for : Hoses, Intake Hoses, Intake Lines, Air Box, Air Box Lines, and just about any other combination there of. Lots of threads, non giving me what I need. I also can't find it ANYWHERE in the FSM, nor can I find it on any parts website ( AutoZone, Checker, Advance, and the like )

The circled areas are the start and stop points for the hose, and the arrows point to each other so you can follow the path ( Though, knowing how smart you are all on here, you'll prolly look at it and go OH! It's -such and such- ) Which is what I'm looking for.

The reason I'm so concerned, is I split the hose tonight, and it's too short to cut off the split part, and make it fit with those compression clamps. ( and I have a 1800 mile moving across country trip coming in TWO weeks )

So..... please name this friggan hose before I go nuts

I think I got this post in the right spot....If not, feel free to relocate it.

Thanks ahead of time!

(p.s. Please don't hit me for how dirty the engine compartment is.. I had a issue with a bad gasket at the intake a while back... never got around to cleaning it up. >.< *cringe* )

Last edited by QuickPaws; 08-17-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 PM

That hose is a pain. I split mine too on my old 94 when I was converting it back to a stock air box. When it slipped off the truck would idle weird. Dont understand why cause that isnt metered or anything. Good luck with the hose. You might be able to find one locally or someone could be willing to ship it to you.

Also try this thread.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...24/index4.html

We kinda discussed it.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
That hose is for one of the intake silencers (toyota calls them Air Resonators, so the technical term is Air resonator tube/hose). It will not hurt anything to run with it split, it will just be louder. No one will carry that hose except for Toyota. Just go to your dealer and pick one up.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
That hose is a pain. I split mine too on my old 94 when I was converting it back to a stock air box. When it slipped off the truck would idle weird. Dont understand why cause that isnt metered or anything. Good luck with the hose. You might be able to find one locally or someone could be willing to ship it to you.

Also try this thread.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...24/index4.html

We kinda discussed it.
Ha. It's on MY 94 I imagine that with an ISR mod, that hose, and the larger one above it are removed, or rerouted? ( sorry, still new with the whole 4Runner thing, haven't even had mine a year yet )
Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
That hose is for one of the intake silencers (toyota calls them Air Resonators, so the technical term is Air resonator tube/hose). It will not hurt anything to run with it split, it will just be louder. No one will carry that hose except for Toyota. Just go to your dealer and pick one up.

So there's more than two? ( truth be told, I haven't actually identified either of the resonaters on my truck, but I can only presume it's the little box mentioned here with the hoses, and maybe the bigger one on top of it? ( the one with the half in ID 8 inch tube that runs to the top of the air filter box just prior to the MAF? )
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM

With my ISR+Open Element I didnt use the stock air box so they were left open. I believe from the brief search I did those tubes inject fresh air into the exhaust manifolds to help burn the unburnt gas and reduce emissions. I left those two hoses open but they were making some noise. I blocked them off and it kinda reduced some mpg's but it makes sense why it would. The Oxygen sensor would get a diff reading and adjust the mixture.

Sorry about the ramble. But you will not experience any problems other than noise. Does the truck idle weird with the split in the hose or with the hose disconnected?

Open element filter.

Last edited by TransAmBandit; 08-17-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Ya know.. I'm not sure if it did or now.. I'll be honest... I'm the kind of guy that believe that duct tape, or electrical tape will fix everything. So... I threw a few wraps of black electrical around it, and re-clamped it. I didn't want to risk something bad 2 weeks before our move with our only vehicle. From what I can tell though, even though I know the seal isn't -perfect-, it's not doing anything different than it was before I changed the air filter tonight ( which was what caused me to split that hose )

(The story of tape fixes all: I was stick framing back in MI before moving to AZ, and I had a pneumatic nailer fire twice off a trigger pull, and the second one bounced off the top plate, and into my hand... I taped it up with electrical tape and toilet paper....no hospital visit ) Off topic I know.. but it's still a killer story.

Also... yers is so clean! *envy* *mumbles something about Arizona and dirt*
Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Ya I installed a cold air intake on my 95 runner and when I left those hoses open they made a crazy sputtering sound, but when I plugged them up it made my truck run funny. I just went down to pep boys and got a langth of air hose and tapped into my intake pipe by the throughtle boddy. It runs great now. Just go get some hose the same size and clamp it back on.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Isn't that part of the PAIR Valve system?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is part of the PAIR system.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Isn't that part of the PAIR Valve system?
Well that explains why I couldn't find it anywhere in the FSM, I wasn't looking in the right place. I kept looking under MFI sections, and it's in emissions control Go me

Back to the initial thought though... Ya think it'll be ok wrapped in electrical tape and re-clamped? Like I mentioned, It's not doing anything different from before I split it, to now, after it's patched up.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The larger hose next to the one you circled goes to the PAIR valve and the one you circled goes to the right side of the plenum where all the vacuum hoses connect. The pipe splits into two nipples that provide filtered air to the idle up system for the A/C and power steering. If that hose is disconnected or has a crack then unfiltered air will be sucked into the engine anytime the A/C is on or the steering is demanding high pressure.

I think you could get away with a temporary fix using electrical tape, if you're driving on the highway. But I recommend you replace the hose as soon as you can.

With the ISR mod you should connect the idle up hose to a small filter such as the kind used as breathers on small block Chevy's to prevent unfiltered air from getting in the engine.

Bugs
Old 08-19-2009, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by bugs1961
. I think you could get away with a temporary fix using electrical tape, if you're driving on the highway. But I recommend you replace the hose as soon as you can.
Bugs

That's what I was looking to hear. Very minimal city driving is being done right now, and the next oh... 1800 miles or so will be on the free way.

I suspect that I will be replacing it in Indiana when I have the funds to do so.

Thanks for the words, as that's just one more thing I can take off my mind now.