Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mystery Electrical - Starter/Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Electrical - Starter/Solenoid

1990 4Runner 22RE - 5-speed - 4x4

Ok. So I am updating and re-posting my problem, in hopes of getting a little more feedback. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Went to go start my car yesterday, and it would not start. It drove several hours off road two days prior, and the day before it made a quick trip to a local park and back. Came back the next day, and nothing.

When I turn the key ON, all lights come up, radio, etc. When I go to crank the engine over, all the lights dim, but there is no clicking from the relays--nothing!!!

As soon as I let the key back to ON, all interior electrical comes back on. I tried cranking the engine with the lights on, and they did not flicker at all.

So far:

1. Checked the battery connection. It is clean and solid.
2. Check if solenoid is getting power with test light.
o Took off the small wire that attaches to the solenoid
o Hooked up a test light (I don't have a multimeter) that goes between the wire and a good ground
o Turned the key to the start position, test light went on, so THERE IS POWER going to the solenoid.

I would like to try jumping the starter, but I am not exactly sure how to go about it. I have looked at a few posts about the process, but none directly reference the orientation of the starter solenoid which is found in the 22RE setup. I have read plenty about applying 12v to the small wire on the starter, but the small wire is covered with a rubber boot and uses a male/female clip, also the heavy wire coming from the battery is covered, so how are you supposed to touch the two together using a wire, screwdriver, pair of pliers, etc?

Questions:

1. Where is the starter relay located?
2. Does anyone have detailed instructions on jumping the solenoid, namely in a 22re engine?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I wound going through all the fuses. Using my owners manual, I pulled out some fuses, all were okay, and reinstalled them. Just for the heck of it, I flipped the ignition switch to on, i pressed the clutch cancel switch, and it lit up.

I fired the engine, and it wouldn't turn over, but at least now there was electrical going to the starter. So one of the fuses I pulled, restarted something.

The car had a very rough start, but finally caught. I kicked a huge amount of smoke out of my exhaust pipe. It was all white smoke. I let the car idle for awhile, drove around the block, and it smoked a little upon acceleration. After that, everything seemed to be normal, however, one of my headlights was out...soooo, not sure if I am wading through some larger impending electrical disaster, or if all is well.

I am going to go change the oil today, and hopefully set things right.