Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mystery 22re problem ! Getting fed up with this engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery 22re problem ! Getting fed up with this engine

For almost a year now I've owned my toyota an 88 with a 22re . I bought this truck because of there very " dependable" motors , the 22re of coarse . After I blew a rod in my first engine I swapped in another 22re . After running it for about 2 weeks problems started occurring . It lost power . Then after changing fuel filter it really started acting up , it bogs and hesitates like crazy . I have youse 1/4 throttle until the revs build up to keep It from bogging too bad . Check fuel pressure , vaccum , afm voltage , timing , everything . Put new tps on and adjusted it .no difference . It also seems to work better when engines cold . I heard you should get your computer re programed after an engine swap so I'm gonna try that soon , get the dealership to do that. I have no clue I'm stumped , even the garage I brought it too is stumped. They believe it has something mechanical that ties into the timing but they started charging too much so I got out of there. Any ideas would be great !
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do the engine codes say? You should be getting some with the problems you are having.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Georgiadave
What do the engine codes say? You should be getting some with the problems you are having.
O2 sensor, tpms , lean mixture, rich mixture, switch signal and knock sensor. The mechanic cleared all these codes but O2 kept coming back because there is not plug for it
Old 11-18-2013, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ilovemymudder
O2 sensor, tpms , lean mixture, rich mixture, switch signal and knock sensor. The mechanic cleared all these codes but O2 kept coming back because there is not plug for it
Also forgot to mention , now when the engine warms up it is dropping idle at a constant rate
Old 11-18-2013, 03:48 AM

What do you mean there's no plug for the O2? You don't have an electrical plug for it or the exhaust pipe doesn't have a spot for the sensor?
Old 11-18-2013, 04:17 AM

If I'm reading your post right, and you have no plug for your 02 sensor, you need to get one. Pick & pull should have one, wire it onto your existing harness that has no plug. Running without your sensor can cause your truck to run very rich among other things. It will run better when it's first started, once it reaches operating temperature, the system sends a signal to the o2 sensor and adjusts the fuel for the injectors based off of that info.

This is from Sidney's thread over at Toyota Nation:

"On average the oxygen sensors should be replaced every 6 years or 100 000 miles or so which ever comes first as stated in the owner's manual, warranty booklet and factory service manual.

Symptoms of a bad o2 sensor are poor gas mileage, hesistation in acceleration, worse emissions, and in severe cases after the stat opens the engine can no longer maintain stable 750 rpm (with manual 5 spd tranny) idle and the engine begins to stall.

The 02 sensor is designed to function once the vehicle has warmed up which is about after 10 minutes where the thermostat begins to open at 190 or 195 degrees Ferenheit depending on thermostat then the vehicles ECU system enters what they call a "closed loop system" then the exhaust manifold's temperature reaches 400 degree Ferenheit (I think)that's where the sensor starts to do it's job which is usually when the thermostat first opens up then the oxygen sensor senses the ratio of air to fuel and sends a signal back to the ECU then ECU compensates by increasing or decrease the open time for the fuel injectors to pump fuel.

So usually the problem of stalling shows up after about 10 minutes of driving or so. Many folks think that the o2 sensor is bad but an exhaust leak can cause excess oxygen to enter the exhaust system thereby fooling the sensor into thinking there is too much oxygen, there are other problems that could cause it to give false reading such as a vacuum leak. "
Old 11-18-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
What do you mean there's no plug for the O2? You don't have an electrical plug for it or the exhaust pipe doesn't have a spot for the sensor?
What I mean is there is no actual plug in for the O2. The sensor is mounted to the exhaust manifold but there is nothing for it to plug into. I have no clue what the previous owner did with it . But it ran fine without it
Old 11-18-2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
If I'm reading your post right, and you have no plug for your 02 sensor, you need to get one. Pick & pull should have one, wire it onto your existing harness that has no plug. Running without your sensor can cause your truck to run very rich among other things. It will run better when it's first started, once it reaches operating temperature, the system sends a signal to the o2 sensor and adjusts the fuel for the injectors based off of that info.

This is from Sidney's thread over at Toyota Nation:

"On average the oxygen sensors should be replaced every 6 years or 100 000 miles or so which ever comes first as stated in the owner's manual, warranty booklet and factory service manual.

Symptoms of a bad o2 sensor are poor gas mileage, hesistation in acceleration, worse emissions, and in severe cases after the stat opens the engine can no longer maintain stable 750 rpm (with manual 5 spd tranny) idle and the engine begins to stall.

The 02 sensor is designed to function once the vehicle has warmed up which is about after 10 minutes where the thermostat begins to open at 190 or 195 degrees Ferenheit depending on thermostat then the vehicles ECU system enters what they call a "closed loop system" then the exhaust manifold's temperature reaches 400 degree Ferenheit (I think)that's where the sensor starts to do it's job which is usually when the thermostat first opens up then the oxygen sensor senses the ratio of air to fuel and sends a signal back to the ECU then ECU compensates by increasing or decrease the open time for the fuel injectors to pump fuel.

So usually the problem of stalling shows up after about 10 minutes of driving or so. Many folks think that the o2 sensor is bad but an exhaust leak can cause excess oxygen to enter the exhaust system thereby fooling the sensor into thinking there is too much oxygen, there are other problems that could cause it to give false reading such as a vacuum leak. "
Ok , I'll be sure to get a plug and wiring for it, but it's not actually stalling just hesitating. I just understand why it would run alright for a couple weeks then start with these issues and it never did these symptoms with my old engine . Which still did not have the O2 plug
Old 11-18-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You need to get you an oxygen sensor in there. No wonder your engine is not running right.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
perhaps dumb question.. was your old 22re running crappy before it went out? No o2 sensor for a system that heavily depends on the 02 sensor data makes no sense.

And how is it that the engine harness doesn't have the sensor wire? Perhaps it's cut somewhere along the line?