Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The mysterious sound....Hey SCOOBY!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mysterious sound....Hey SCOOBY!

My friends -

I have become used to my truck making odd noises that I've never heard on any of my cars I've ever owned in the past...from what I've understood from fellow and past Yotian's it's almost a rite of passage of owning one of these fine trucks. I can pin down almost any sound my truck makes, but this one has me stymied, as I can't figure out if it's coming from the engine, or if its coming from the middle of the truck (a la, the transmission/clutch/etc.)

First the basics: My truck is named 'Frankie Two-Trips' and she's earned that nickname since April when I first bought her from a gent named "Wild Bill" down in North Carolina - who's kinda famous in these parts for having largely-stock toyotas, rock-crawlers, and mud machines. I bought a 1994 Toyota SR5...

At least, I thought I had an SR5...turns out that it's actually a 94 SR5, with a 92 Toyota 22R(E) engine (found that out when replacing the alternator), with the axles off of an 89 Landcruiser, an obscene air intake courtesy of PVC, the front end grille, lights, and interior (seats, steering column, etc) from an unknown year 4Runner, no EGR, no vacuum tubes, rough idle only when the brake is pressed (still can't figure that one out) and a radio that only works if the right bump is hit and the list goes on...Frankie (Frankenstein) gets her name not just because she's been pieced together over time from various Yotas, but also because when you buy parts for her - you're almost destined to make another trip back to the store. She's a 4x4 5spd. Somehow she manages to run, and run really well. I've posted here before for a separate issue, one that you fine folks helped me hunt down when I first got her.

So - this sound happens in two cases...one is when I'm accelerating and the engine spools up, clutch in and there's this sound of like what sounds like a circular saw against metal - it's very light, but you can tell...let the clutch out and she goes. But when I'm cruising in gear, especially 2nd and 3rd, if I get going at a constant rate, say 35mph without the clutch pressed in or anything, the sound comes back and it's constant, and louder, and only stops if you press the gas in a little more, or come off the gas completely.

I'm thinking (because obviously I can't hang my head out the door while driving at speed to locate it, tempted as I might have been to explain to the cop later that I'm one of those crazy Yota guys) that it's the master and slave rubbing together because of low fluid levels, or without a constant flow of fluid. Here's the thing if that's true: I don't have any idea where the reservoir is to check it - most of the caps on the engine have long worn off their writing - so a little help with locating it would be awesome, before I go off to parts geek or rock auto and start ordering parts.

Or could this be caused by the ever-elusive timing chain issue I've read about - because Wild Bill (who is kind of my Gandalf before I set out on my grand adventure with her) was quick to emphasize that when the timing chain was starting to go - I would hear a very distinct sound...as far as I know - this is pretty distinct.

Because I wasn't the original in-putter of the motor, I have exactly zero clue how many actual miles the engine has on it. The odometer - and god knows how accurate it is - says that the truck (in whatever capacity or mechanism it happens to measure) has 208,000 miles on it.

The weird thing about this sound is this: Whereas most sounds on cars precipitate a physical incident that soon follows - this particular one doesn't affect the way the truck drives at all. It still goes into gear, still accelerates pretty decently (hell, at times she even flies!) still brakes, and other than the rough idle when the brake is pressed (and if you have a clue about that one - I'm all ears) I really don't have any complaints - she's as bullet proof (after replacing most of the major components) as she was advertised...

So there you go, Mystery Machine fans - I leave it to your learned knowledge of years of doing this to help me figure this one (or three) out.

And thanks ahead of time for reading through my looong post.

Warmly -

Joel

P.S. The smiley of the lad beating the dead horse is BRILLIANT...I'd just love to know the keys to make that on FB!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 AM

The rough idle while braking is likely the diaphragm of your brake booster. It's creating a big dirty vacuum leak which alters (leans) your idle mixture to negative consequences.

That's the likely answer for that one anyways. Check the vacuum lines first though as ya never want to replace something you don't need too.

The booster isn't a hard swap luckily. I'm using one from a first gen Tacoma I think along with the master cylinder.

Bolted right up.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 AM

somebody built your truck to be extra tough with the landcruiser axles
Old 11-24-2012, 04:24 AM

Your clutch master cylinder is on the firewall next to your brake booster drivers side. It has a smaller cap than the brake reservoir cap. It's right in line with the clutch pedal.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 AM

Pull the valve cover, shine a flashlight down the front of the engine on the timing chain, if the plastic guides are chewed up and the chain is contacting the timing cover. You need to replace timing chain ASAP. The chain can eat through the cover into the water jackets for the water pump.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 AM

Going through the same problem with my 89 p/u can't for the life of me track down the problem only thing left I can guess is throwout bearing
Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
If the sound goes AWAY when you press in the clutch, it could be your Pilot Bearing.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
If the sound goes AWAY when you press in the clutch, it could be your Pilot Bearing.
That's the only time the pilot bearing is spinning, so not likely.

Sounds more like a bearing in the trans or t-case, maybe rear end.