Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My truck is possessed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is possessed.

On my way home today I stopped by a gas station to fill-up and when I turned off my ignition and removed my keys my truck kept trying to turn over. I put my keys back in the ignition and turned it to the "On" position and the truck fired right up, but my check engine light was on. I drove the last couple of blocks home and had to disconnect my negative battery lead to kill the truck. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I have been having some hard starting issues recently as well. The truck is a '94 22RE. Thanks!

-Matt
Old 08-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sound's like you're overheating a bit and suffering 'after run'.
check your coolant level and your thermostat. also, you may have some leaking fuel injectors or a leaking cold start injector, which will complicate / compound the problem since they'll dribble fuel giving the engine something to combust.
As well, maybe try the 'seafoam' treatment mentioned elsewhere in the forums- where you let the engine syphon seafoam (an engine treatment / cleaner) through a vacuum line. This helps remove carbon deposits which can also contribute to the problem you are describing.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-16-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
sound's like you're overheating a bit and suffering 'after run'.
check your coolant level and your thermostat. also, you may have some leaking fuel injectors or a leaking cold start injector, which will complicate / compound the problem since they'll dribble fuel giving the engine something to combust.
I thought that was called "dieseling"?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I thought that was called "dieseling"?
yeah, it's called that also.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

lol, my old carbed Isuzu use to do that... till one day I punched it, floated the valves for a few seconds, then after that it ran better than ever before and never did it again...

the way you explain it sounds like the truck is at least trying to shut off, and that's what my Isuzu did

Only thing is mine would putter down, then kick over and run backwards for a second! Craziest thing I ever seen! The motor actually ran in the reverse direction! Smoke would pour outta the carb and everything!

but then again, look what I found when I took the head off...

I think a sticky valve may have been to blame in my case...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-16-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 PM

the point being that without something to burn, it shouldn't occur.
and an EFI engine should be cutting off all fuel to the engine (though running in reverse adds an interesting spin, pun intended).
if all the injectors are sealing / shutting off fine, then the only fuel the engine would have would be oil, and only hot spots in the chambers or on the pistons would be ignition sources.
...but we're jumping the gun
Old 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM

Coolant level is fine and thermostat was recently replaced. The temp gauge was in its usual spot (below half) when this was happening. I went out and reconnected the negative battery lead (without the keys in the ignition) about an hour after this happened and it started trying to turn over again. Do you think this could be due to a faulty ignition?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:16 PM

so you hooked up the battery and it started running on it's own?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:24 PM

It started turning over but didn't start
Old 08-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

oh, wel then that's a completely different situation...

fault somewhere in the starting circut...

couldn't begin to tell you where though. could be the starter, could just be the selenoid, could be a relay...
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM

could be a short in the ignition switch / wiring.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or it may just not wanna stop running.. its a toyota guys come on!!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM

Update: I removed the heavy gauge cable that runs from the battery to the starter and cleaned up the connection, reattached everything and was able to fire up the truck and turn it off without it continuing to turn over. However, when I turned the key in the ignition there is now whining noise coming from the engine compartment (likely the starter) and I have to hit the throttle to fire it up. Is this a sign of a bad starter or should I keep digging?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just recently replaced my alternator and about a week later it started making a winding noise. turned out to be my idler pulley the bearing had gone out in it. may wanna give that a check just an idea
Old 08-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did this for awhile, it turned out to be the same as in your case, the cable lead going from the battery to the starter was messed up. it was cool though, being the only person in school to start his vehicle by hooking up the battery. wore out the starter within a week though... lol. as for the idler bearing.. sounds like thats ur problem. might as well replace all the pulley bearings... i did that on my truck, and i havent regretted it. just make sure you torque it, then after a couple drives retorque it.. i couldnt figure out why it would come loose the first time.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the input guys! Another quick update: I used my voltmeter to check the voltage at the battery and the heavy gauge cable at the starter and there is no voltage drop so I don't suspect a problem with the cable. There is also no voltage drop in the battery when the engine is off or running, which would lead me to believe the battery is okay. The whining noise I get is only when I am turning the ignition and seems to be localized to the starter. With a light touch on the throttle the truck fires up and runs great with no whining. Has anyone heard of a dying starter producing a whining sound at startup?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM

I had an issue where my starter would kick in once in a while when I was driving down the road. It would grind for a minute, then stop. I couldn't figure it out, so I bought a new starter. Then one night on my way home, it did it agian. So I shut off the truck and pulled over. And it continued to roll over, like you describe. I did the same thing. disconneted the battery, finally stopped. Re-connected the battery it started again. So I climbed underneath again. And fount 2 of the wire down there. One to the starter and another to elsewhere had rubbed against eachother for the last 350,xxx miles and wore through their rubber insulation and were grounding to eachother. I sepearted the wires and never had an issue again. I still haven't replaced the starter or wires. But I did use some Liquid electrical tape so seal them again before wrapping each in electrical tape. I'd check out all your wires before digging to deep and jumping the gun.

Good Luck,
Grant
Old 08-17-2008, 03:25 PM

check and watch for the efi relay and the starter relay they tend to stick

mine did this but not really like yours i would turn the key off and the trucks engine would stay running then i just get out and kick the fender and she would stall lol or if i was on a hill and needed to put in gear i would kick the fuse panel on it then i replaced the relay nothing since then
Old 08-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Well this morning I went down to the dealership and bought a starter repair kit (P/N 28226-64370 and 28226-74070) to replace the starter solenoid contacts to see if this was what is causing my starting problem. After removing the starter and cracking it open I noticed that one of the contacts had been significantly worn down compared to the other and the entire inside of the solenoid was covered in dirt and grime. After blasting the outside of the starter with some brake cleaner and cleaning the insides out, I replaced the contacts and used a wire brush to clean up the bottom copper surface of the plunger. I reassembled and put the starter back in my truck. Now when I start it up I don't have to give it any throttle to fire up but there is still a 2-3 second delay with a nasty whine before the truck starts up.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM

Sounds like your solenoid still isn't disengaging correctly