Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My Supercharger build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Supercharger build thread.

Ok, let me start of with a few things before I get goin here, just to make them clear. I'm not really a good write-up writer, so bear with me. I suck at explaining things, I'd rather just post pictures, lol. And second of all, I am NOT a professional at welding or fabrication, it just happens that I have access to just about every machine out there except CNC. I have been working on my project truck for the past 6 months or so. For those who know me, than you know my truck, for those of you that don't, it's a 2wd truck that I am building for intent of drifting and track racing. That being said, I apologize in advance for doing this on a 2wd truck and posting in 4x4 forums, but the other sites are kinda boguzz!

A little info about the truck:
It's a short bed 92' Pickup, 2wd 5spd, 22RE. The motor was built by me about 6 months ago now (about same time as bleeder and harleydude). It's rebuilt as the stock 22RET, and YES this is all going to be done on stock cast pistons! The parts are from EB, using the 268 cam with the O/S head with 6K springs (to revv), and has stage 1 porting. Motor was fully balanced at the local engine shop. Compression is 7.5:1. Before finished with boost, it will have ARP head studs, but does not at the time of this build as of now. Running a NAPA clutch that is rated 15% stronger than stock. Have had no problems with it so far, but I am also not putting much power to it yet. I am also going to be running a CX Racing intercooler, 24x4.25x7 with 2.25" intercooler piping. Expected boost lost is .5 psi.

The exhaust is a stock manifold and down pipe, sent to 2 1/2" exhaust, gutted cat (have a test pipe that is not installed), to 2 GSXR1000 exhaust pipes. The supercharger that is going to be used is a Eaton 'Hybrid M62'. It's the design of a M90, but the size of a M45, so I guess people call it the Hybrid M62. It's from a Mercedes. These superchargers are good superchargers, they are wanted my small motor guys. They are designed for small 4 cylinders, and are good for up to 2.4L motors. From the research I've done, good for 230 crank horsepower. More than what I'm trying to build, so I am ok with these numbers.

Because I am using a supercharger designed for Mercedes, and trying to use it on a Toyota, there is obviously going to be a lot of custom fabrication to be involved. And yup, there is. Lol. Before I had even started wrenching on it and building, I had to, believe it or not, do quite a bit of math and design work. I first had to figure possible mount points for the blower. This might just be me, none of my friends really like the idea, but I wanted to have the blower on top of the motor coming thru the hood, like the old school big V8. But, because of design (or lack of), I just couldn't make it possible unless it sat 10 inches above my hood, which I just didn't want. So, mount point is going to be driver side of the motor.

I could not use the stock SC manifold from Mercedes because it's a big huge mess piece of garbage. So, I have to start out with some 3/16" steel, and make my own manifold for it. I had to make a plate that can bolt to the SC, that way I have something to weld to when I'm creating the intake and outlet.

I purposely have not made progress on this, because I have to wait until the SC in mounted, so I know which angles and directions the inlet and outlets need to be. These two templates show you what it looks like, both from the SC side and the maniold side. The one with the orange and black what the inlet and outlet look on the manifold. Where you see black is the air flow.

This piece is what the inlet and outlet will look like. Imagine the two black circles are the two pipes. Pretty simple.

And this is where I am at right now. I have been spending alot of time having to make a custom pulley. There is no pulley out there in this world that I need, so I have to make my own. I got a stock standard pulley, and put it on the lathe and milling machine to cut it up. I have to use only the alternator belt for the 22RE pulley, the rest will be my own.

This is where all the math caught up to me. I had to do lots of calculations to be able to determine which size pulley will make what PSI of boost. For this project, and I building this system to make 7 PSI. I had to find out what the stock Mercedes pulley size was, how much PSI they run, the RPM it was spun at, etc. It was actually alot of stupid work. But in the long run, the size pulley that I am running is 7.82", and was originally from a Chevy Astrovan. I had to take the Astro pulley, and put it on the lathe to cut out the hub. I have to make my own in order to be able to attached it to the stock 22RE pulley. This is the pulley this morning, after cutting out the hub.

I am using more 3/16" steel as the metal for my hub. I had to ROUGH CUT a circle, that was 5 1/8" in diameter. I have not put it on the lathe yet, but this is what it looks like. If you look closely, you can see the black circle in Sharpie. Lol.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2138842_n.jpg

This is the steel plate on the back of the new pulley

And this is what the pulley is going to look like.

Those last pictures are of a few hours ago. I am working on this in a process, final product to be running and driving withing 2 months from today. Like I said, I'm not a good writer and I don't ever do write up, so bear with me. I will take pictures and keep you guys up dated. I just figured if I didnt start a thread now, I'd be too lazy and I never will. Thanks for looking and following!

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 04-14-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
deffinetly an interesting build. Good luck with all the custom work
Old 04-14-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. that will be sweet. I have always liked the idea of forced induction. it is just so badass. lol
Old 04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
COOL!

Can't wait to see some action videos of this truck sliding around a corner, all the while hearing the whine of a supercharger

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM

good luck man, im super excited to see how this goes. by the way if you plan on drifting this truck, your gonna need allot more weight in the back to balance the weight distribution so the truck has a center pivot point instead of trying to make the rear wheels pass them self as soon as it gets slideways..(slideways is a word invented by me about 18 years ago and is copyright protected, but you can use it)
Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM

Looks cool! Any chance we can have a video of what those motorcycle pipes sound like? I gotta hear that!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might need a traction bar with those lowering blocks.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:53 PM

The truck needs lots of things still. It's a work in progress.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 PM

Good luck with this project. A lot of guys in the V6 Mustang community started fabbing to swap the Eaton M112 SCs from Cobras onto the little 3.8L. The one thing they have never been able to do was get the intercooler set-up into it without having a redicilously tall cowl hood.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:32 PM

oh yea, and post a damn clip of your exhaust sound already..
Old 04-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Might need a traction bar with those lowering blocks.
he should ditch the blocks altogether and 4 link it with coilovers.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Robert m
he should ditch the blocks altogether and 4 link it with coilovers.
x2 That would give way more adjustment capability which he will need for any kind racing if that is what he wants to do.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:17 AM

How are you going to control fuel delivery? Stand alone injection?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 AM

4 turbo RX7 injectors, and a Walbro 255 pump I am going to set the timing at 8*. I'm going to TRY stock ECU, only because I want to put an end to what everyone wonders. Around here, and alot of times on the Celica forums, people are always asking what can the stock ECU handle in terms of boost. I've seen it done a few times with 6lbs. I am going to try stock ECU and what it can handle, and I will report back to anyone that wants to know. If the stock ECU can't handle it, I am going to run the new MS-III.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:14 AM

Ya but you have to tune it for the boost presure but stock ECU is untunable. What happends when you start making boost? Are you just going to run a heavy fuel curve and hope for the best (crank the AFM open and see what happends?) The O2 sensor will not let you do that. It will force lean and defeat the purpose. Your best option is to go with a Turbo ECU and hook it up like a turbo 22re.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 AM

*Subscribed* Quite the endeavour, good luck with this!
Lots of questions come to mind, but I'll just wait and see how things progress.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
Ya but you have to tune it for the boost presure but stock ECU is untunable. What happends when you start making boost? Are you just going to run a heavy fuel curve and hope for the best (crank the AFM open and see what happends?) The O2 sensor will not let you do that. It will force lean and defeat the purpose. Your best option is to go with a Turbo ECU and hook it up like a turbo 22re.
I cannot tune the stock ECU, I know this. But you set the base timing at 8*, and run the AFM thru the inlet on the SC. That will tell the ECU how much air it's sucking, and it will adjust itself to an extent. Like I said, I don't expect it to do much, but I want to do it to clarify for myself and other. I've seen people run 6lbs on a stock 22RE ECU. Also, my truck is a 92, it's a 2 plug ECU, totally different than a RET ECU from 86. I am running a wideband AEM UEGO right now with the stock ECU, all I have to do is keep an eye on the lamda make sure it doesn't drop lean and I'll be ok. I know a thing or two. Please keep questions and comments coming as these keep me thinking and designing.

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 04-15-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
*Subscribed* Quite the endeavour, good luck with this!
Lots of questions come to mind, but I'll just wait and see how things progress.

Ask em now, for I might not ever answer them if you don't. And who know's, maybe you see something that I'm missing.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:13 PM

How can you be running a wide band now? The ECU is only looking for swing not a value so a wide band is doing nothing.

Really does not matter anyway because the ECU is going to be going full rich to try and get the mix right (if it can). Your time and money, lets see what happends
Old 04-15-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
How can you be running a wide band now? The ECU is only looking for swing not a value so a wide band is doing nothing.

Really does not matter anyway because the ECU is going to be going full rich to try and get the mix right (if it can). Your time and money, lets see what happends
Ok, look. I'm not going to argue with you in this thread. That's not the point. The wideband is set up now just for visual reference, and will remain that way even when boosted. It's there for me to look at in reference to see if I drop too lean. I'd rather the ECU run it super rich than lean. Like I said, I don't really care how the stock ECU performs. This is an experiment to see what it can handle. If it doens't do well, or work at all, it gets MS-III.

Last edited by Erik Beeman; 04-15-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: My Supercharger build thread.