Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

MY Runner is Haunted :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation MY Runner is Haunted :(

Ok so i rolled down the gate window today to load some stuff, rolled it back up. drove home then rolled it down removed the items and rolled it back up. now notice the last part, "Rolled it back up" remember that part its important. i went into my house and lived my life. a few hours later i went out to drive to my buddies house and i looked in my rearview mirror and thought the picture i see is all lil too clear and a lil to bright. then notice the window is down. first thought was OH S*** because i got over a K worth of stereo equipment in the truck. went back there and the window wasnt broken out and everything was in its place. i was lost. i KNOW i rolled it up. im so OCD when it comes to my rig especially locking it. i tried rolling it up and it wouldnt go up. so i thought maybe the console switch shorted out from the years of soda and what not being spilled on it. so to test that i opened the gate and hit the up button and heard the alarm beep so the switch was good. shut the gate and hit the button it wouldnt go up but there was no alarm. then thought maybe i forgot to roll it up and it was just frozen down. so drove to my buddies and parked in his heated garage to thaw out a bit. when i got there i heard a clicking from the driver side rear quarter panel. looked in ther and there was a silver box. i hit it and the clicking stoped and i was able to roll the window up.

came back out a few hours later and the window was half way down again and the clicking was back when i tried to roll it up. hit it again and it stoped clicking and the window rolled up. wtf

so im guessing some how that box whatever it is got some moisture in it and is shorting out and rolling the window down.

what does that box do exactly?? besides be a pain in my runners rear
Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 PM

lol i have no idea get a new motor for your rear window
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by thedude42
lol i have no idea get a new motor for your rear window
its not the motor. the window works fine when that box isnt clicking
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM

hmmm then idk i never had a problem with my rear window.... the rear passanger is a totally different story it seemed everytime i fixed it something else on it broke.... 2nd gen windows are insane!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:09 PM

haha im thinking because my quarter panels are rusted through and its snowed alot here and raind and what not that it finally got some moisture in there and is shorting out. i pulled the battery for the night so it wont roll down again and will pull that box out and clean it tomorrow. and water proof it. i just wanna know what it does besides control the back window. my buddy says its gotta do with all the electronics in the back of the truck
Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 PM

sounds like a good idea if the window still goes down without the battery in the brackets that hold the window to the tracks could be slipping well thats all of my $0.02 i hope things straighten out
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM

i hope it doesnt go down. haha. yea i cant wait for summer so i can start working on those rust holes. or more like missing body panels haha
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i think that it might be the control module for the rear window...
tells it when it can open and when it can close with the lock and the windshield wiper...

just do as you said and seal it up... to dry it, maybe grab a blowdrier and set it up to dry for a few hours much like you would do with a cell phone...

and maybe before sealing it up, test it a few times to make sure its totally dry...
Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 PM

sounds like a job for the ghost busters!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:52 PM

You have somehow pissed off Mistress Toyota.......
Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that box is the rear window control box theres a write up on here about how to replace the relays in from them shorting out and doing this its just my though not sure why it would just roll down but i say take the insides out so you can see the motor and everything and just stick a small peaice of wood in there and it should keep it up
Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 PM

im pretty sure i know whats wrong

in my 2000 runner when i first got it, it worked great... except... the keyless entry system. the remote wouldnt contact the brain, so i found out that the brain for the keyless system was in the rear tail gate. so i pulled the thing apart to pull it out the brain so i could swap it out. Go figure i pulled out the brain for the rear window so i put the brain back in and it has never worked right since. What i have discovered is that there are sensors that wont let you roll down the window if your wiper is going. but i have discovered that is also rolls the window up if you turn on the wiper while the window is down. So that is what that stupid little box does. the difference between yours and mine is that they have changed the location in the newer years. SO replace that stupid little box that toyota decided to let their mentally handicapped employees design and you should be ok.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 AM

well what ever i did to piss my truck off im glad it was just the back window and not the head gasket or timing belt haha