Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Mechanic Screwed me on my 22RE-C Rebuilt Motor. HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My Mechanic Screwed me on my 22RE-C Rebuilt Motor. HELP?

Well here is the situation well a good friend of the family rebuilt my motor and supposedly changed out all the worn out parts. Now the problem is when he said the motor was done he installed the motor and the motor ran like crap no power and would stall on me he then once again took it out of the truck and after he took it to the machine shop he said the motor was not made standard 10 or something like that. Well the current situation is that all this work was done in the backyard of my house and now the mechanic came last Sat. and left the motor on my back porch saying that it was fixed but he won't return my calls and I have a bad feeling that he did not fixed anything and just took my good hard earned $$$$ so now I am out $2000.00 dollars and don't know exactly what is wrong with the motor he left and not sure if he even changed anything.

Now the options I am thinking is.

1. Sell this motor and get some money back and order a new one.

2. Buy a new LC Engeneering Motor

3. Take it to another mechanic so he can fix the motor I have but because of the situation I am in and that I don't really know anything about the motor and whether he even changed anything the new mechanic could really screw me more by selling me all this parts that I need but I don't know if I need them.

Sorry for the long post I am pissed and don't know what to do please I need ideas or help.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4. Buy a factory service manual, and use this opportunity to learn how to rebuild it yourself

Or if you NEED the vehicle to get around, swap in a known working motor for the time being, and rebuild the other one yourself......
Old 04-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Well I have good news the good for nothing mechanic who did the job called and supposedly will come tomorrow to install the motor is there anything I can do to check that he indeed rebuilt the motor correctly. Thanks for the advise.

P.S. (annoyingrob what kind or turbo is that and what car is it on.)
Old 04-30-2009, 05:01 PM

next time see mike at sunwest in medical lake washington
Old 04-30-2009, 06:00 PM

my hubby said to check the valve clearances but other than that you won't know anything until you install and run it unless you want to remove the oil pan and check the bearings.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Is there some reason you are unable to install the engine yourself..

What was wrong to start with??

It is too bad . That is why I like to do all these things my self I know it is done the right way.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM

I don't know how to do the install myself all I do is basic maintenance like oil, spark plugs ect. I have always paid to have the major work like clutch job or timing belt changed to somebody else. Also is there any visual checks I can do to the engine that the mechanic is putting in to check that he did the rebuild correctly. How would I check valve clearances and also where are they located. Thanks sorry for not knowing everything about our Amazing Motor 22RE-C
Old 05-01-2009, 03:21 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
Originally Posted by Stifun
I don't know how to do the install myself all I do is basic maintenance like oil, spark plugs ect. I have always paid to have the major work like clutch job or timing belt changed to somebody else. Also is there any visual checks I can do to the engine that the mechanic is putting in to check that he did the rebuild correctly. How would I check valve clearances and also where are they located. Thanks sorry for not knowing everything about our Amazing Motor 22RE-C
Take you valve cover off and you will see them all, and you need a screw driver and a 12mm i believe and you want like 0.08 and 0.12 or some ish like that. Get the link from 4crawler he helped me with mine
Old 05-01-2009, 03:42 PM

i never do under the table type mechanical work for that reason. bound to get burned eventually. if your going to have work done, shop around and ask locals. I wish people wouldnt always try and push people who dont know anything about mechanics to just pick up a book and try to do everything themselves. if you dont know what your doing you can cost yourself more money by doing something wrong than paying someone to do it right. some stuff like adjusting the valves or other maintenance i understand but rebuilding an engine for the first time i would only recommend if you have the help of an experienced mechanic. just my .02
Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
you can do it yourself, get some feeler gauges and test the clearance. just take stuff off and keep track of where it goes, and do the job and reassemble. its itimidating but once you do it it flows like butter kid, you got it. just gain the experience and see what you can do, people are here to help.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Well can anyone recommend me a good short block or long block replacement motor for my truck. Since the mechanic was a no show again I am thinking of selling the existing block I have and buy a good quality one. So far all I know of is LC Engineering can you recommend others to see where I get the most bang for the buck without sacrificing on quality. Thanks Again.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't just give up on $2K if it were mine. I'd be finding me a big stick or something.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 PM

go oto jasperengines.com 3 year 36000 mile warranty on a long block. that an a book and you can teach yourself to put the rest together. you have a simple motor to assemble from a long block, and youll be able to say you did the work. as for putting it in, a cheery picker some friends, and above said book, and again. you can say i did it.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
P.S. (annoyingrob what kind or turbo is that and what car is it on.)
Garrett GT40-88, and it's on my Supra.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I wouldn't just give up on $2K if it were mine. I'd be finding me a big stick or something.
+1. 2 g's is alot of money to piss away. why did you pay him if it was messed up? doesnt add up

and if you want a new block id hit up http://www.atk-engines.com/ the company that makes their 22's was previously known as orient engines that had a very good rep, come with a better warranty than jasper, and should cost less.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 PM

It sounds to me like your ready to blow more money on another engine anyways. So whats it going to hurt to try and do it yourself. Look we have all been there at one time being completely overwhelmed at the job we have to do. Trust me there's a lot of people here that will answer any questions you have. All you have to do is TRY! Engines aren't nearly as complicated as you think they are, they are actually quite simple. I wish you the best of luck.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:38 PM

i would have paid him part of the money just enough for the parts and then some then when he was finally finished i would pay him the rest, like wabbit was sayin time to get the stick out and give em the beat down. Wait until all of this engine drama pans out then look and see what ur gonna do. In the mean time do alot of research on the engine and read blogs on rebuilds and fixs
Old 05-02-2009, 02:42 AM

If you end up buying a engine,check out suwest engines in medical lake washington. $1335 with a total rebuild and new head.Mike did my motor and shipped it to Virginia.Its two years old now and not the first issue.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cwaters1184
I wish people wouldnt always try and push people who dont know anything about mechanics to just pick up a book and try to do everything themselves. if you dont know what your doing you can cost yourself more money by doing something wrong than paying someone to do it right.
Quite an amazing bunch we have here isn't it?

I was thinking the same thing.

Under the table or not, contract or not, receipt or not, if the guy agreed to give you a rebuilt motor for $2k then he is bound by the verbal agreement and if he doesn't deliver it you can take him to court to get your money back. The judge might be really interested in the guy working under the table too like that...

Give him a chance to get it running first before you do anything. Chances are it will be fine for a little while anyway. I can tell you that no rebuild is ever going to be as reliable or trouble free as the OEM motor was.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
.......... I can tell you that no rebuild is ever going to be as reliable or trouble free as the OEM motor was.
Unless you blueprint, but that gets expensive.

I've been in a very similar situation before with a 3vze rebuild I bought through a smarmy mechanic. Long story, but in short....I didn't get a good rebuild and not in the manner I'd asked for. I wound up having to rebuild the entire top end myself. The bottom end has been holding up fine. By top end, I mean heads w/cams and valves...all that. The bottom end is the crankcase with crankshaft, pistons, rings, and all.

Anyway, took several months to finally discover the true story of the motor after many phones call, internet searching, and finally the motor burning a valve with scored cams and bearings. The only way you're going to tell if the motor had been properly serviced is to pull it apart a little and start checking tolerances. I mean, it can look clean with the assembly lube and all, but that truthfully won't tell anything. On the other hand, seeing fresh honing marks on the cylinder walls would be a very hopeful sign. Doesn't seem likely anyone would go through the trouble of doing that without doing other things, though. Consider also that if it didn't have power and would stall out doesn't necessarily mean it was a problem with the rebuild. Could be the installation. IOW, there's a number of vacuum hoses and electrical components that if not installed correctly could cause the same problems.

I wouldn't suggest pulling your rebuild apart and checking everything unless you really wanted to take the time and learn. True.....its' really not as difficult as you'd think, but it does require some learned skill and the desire to do so. Keep making calls and/or find someone else who'd be willing to help you out for little to nothing. The motor's already out, so much of the expense and work is already done. (Engine removal is part of any mechanic's service bill). Don't know where you live, but you may try and make posts/start a thread on here......see if some kind Yotatecher would be willing to come out and help. I've met and been able to help someone in my area this way. Same dude was able to help me out when I needed it, as well.

Quick Reply: My Mechanic Screwed me on my 22RE-C Rebuilt Motor. HELP?