Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 93'

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 93'

ok so.. ive heard many stories that toyota's are indestrucable. well if so i have done the enevitable. i blew my 22R-E i was driving down the interstate. my rear driveshaft flew out doin about 70MPH over rev'd my engine and blew it. i was sad.. but hopefully if everything goes as planned then this weekend im droppin a new fully rebuilt 22R-E with 0 miles in.. ive heard stories with a new motor like that you cant take over 4000RPM's so i was wonderin the truth behind that. i have no tack in my truck so im thinkin about puttin in a after market tack so i was curious about the redline on my gen. Trucks. so i would know how to use it accuratlly. and also, my speedometer dont work. i have to guess how fast im goin. its risky with cops lol but i was wonderin how i could solve that problem. another thang, my ODO. dont work. so i cant tell how many miles are on the truck it stoped about 70.595 but with me installing the new motor. i was wonderin how could i fix the ODO and or reset it? or how would i go about that. any info would help.. so feel free to help me out.. thank yall!
Old 05-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dunno if there is any fact to this, but I've heard that sometimes those are both on the same fuse. I'd def. do a tach before you even think about breaking in that motor. I do believe the 22-RE's rev to about 5500RPM, at least that's where the red starts. Don't quote me on that, because I've got the V6, and it revs a little higher. I've just seen a lot of 22-RE trucks with tachs, and my dad owned one for a while too.

Last edited by stormin94; 05-07-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 PM

well i gotta buddy that built that motor to drop into i think a 88 rear wheel drive celica. im trading a 81 F100 300-c-straight 6 for it. haha nadda bad deal tha ford got givin to me. but the celica has factory rpm gauges and all thats snazzy .. so i was thinkin about tryin to get that off of him. but not really sure if that would work on my truck. but id really like to figure out how to atleast get my speedo workin
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 PM

My 22re redlines at 5750 i think. I would have to go check the tach for sure...5750 sounds right though. I've hit about 6300rpm...no problems afterwards, but I just dont want to do it again for fear of having something or the whole engine blow. Do some search on here...people have a lot of different revs they've accomplished.

Last edited by 907Toyota; 05-08-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:07 AM

haha ya i was googlin redlines for my truck. ran across this forum. ive done alot of reading tonite. im really learnin alot about my truck actually and i like it. thats why i registered my self on here like 30 mins ago. lol. but hopefully i will get to learn alot more about my truck and actually getta talk yoda talk with people that actually kno. so does anybody have any ideas on how i can get my speedometer runnin right? i mean even if the damn thang would nudge i would be happy ^.^
Old 05-08-2008, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by YodaBoi
haha ya i was googlin redlines for my truck. ran across this forum. ive done alot of reading tonite. im really learnin alot about my truck actually and i like it. thats why i registered my self on here like 30 mins ago. lol. but hopefully i will get to learn alot more about my truck and actually getta talk yoda talk with people that actually kno. so does anybody have any ideas on how i can get my speedometer runnin right? i mean even if the damn thang would nudge i would be happy ^.^

Yeah I just registered a few days ago...I think I learned more about the abilities of my truck in 3 days than i have in 3 years of driving it. Okay maybe not, but this site has deffinately changed my mind about getting a huge a$$ lift and everything. And i love reading all the posts and everything.

As for the speedo, check the fuse if you havent already. then check the wires leading up to it..after that...im not sure . Search around this site more, im sure there are tons of people with the same problem, even though searching is a little tedious. But i'm sure you've already done quite a bit of searching.....
Old 05-08-2008, 12:19 AM

haha well i most def. plan on lookin around alot more. so why not lift them pretty big. i would like to do a nice flex kit with my axles. but im not sure. my 93 has a 3in bod lift on 31's i would like a 4in suspension with 33's mayb 35's im not entirly sure yet on what i exactly wanna do.. but as my truck sits now. ive never been stopped. but if i hit a mudhole doin 20 or so. and spray water if it hits my distrubitor cap it kills it for 5-15 mins then she starts up and is ready for more! haha i love it.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:32 AM

well gas is getting hella too expensive, and in the next few months, im going to be paying for school. Susp lifts are like 1K or more for a quality one. Im actually building a mudder. there arent very many public rock crawling places in Alaska, if any at all. I think all the places that would be good crawler places are in the state parks. Im going to spend my money on lockers and some wider tires, but probably not for another year. Theres some wild mud up here this time of year! sooo fun.
I've never had a problem with my distributor if i hit mud/water at 20+ .....maybe you should make a little splash guard to go under or around it.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:39 AM

oh and pertaining to your original question about the new engine..I'd say treat it like any other new motor, you know, easy going for the first like 1K miles or so...frequent checks for leaks around gaskets and what not. I mean, our good ol' toyotas were all new at one time or another and needed to be broken in properly. I'm sure other people will say differently..But i'd say why spend like 1500 or whatever you're paying for new 22re and have it fail prematurly.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:39 AM

well my buddy i used to mud with had a leather cover for his. it was actually nifty. i would like to get a flexible ruberish hose to extend my airbox filter hose. my buddy had down that and it actually worked as a snorkle. but theres many thangs ive learned an still many to learn. so i wonder if i kept my 3in bod lift. if i could go around and put 33's on it. how dramatic of a power lose would that be. cuase it is my everyday driver.. im just curious an here to learn thangs
Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by YodaBoi
well my buddy i used to mud with had a leather cover for his. it was actually nifty. i would like to get a flexible ruberish hose to extend my airbox filter hose. my buddy had down that and it actually worked as a snorkle. but theres many thangs ive learned an still many to learn. so i wonder if i kept my 3in bod lift. if i could go around and put 33's on it. how dramatic of a power lose would that be. cuase it is my everyday driver.. im just curious an here to learn thangs
Dude, a stock p/u could fit 33x9.50. maybe a little rub on full compression, but probably not much or any at all when you turn. or if you do, pound your wheel wells in a little. I'm sure you're getting like 10.5 or 12.5 though, huh? haha...after reading around here, i guess you need to regear if you go any bigger than 31 or 32s to maintain proper power and speedo reading, etc. Hows your exhaust? stock or moded? and mod your intake. My truck is lacking in power right now even with just 31s, but its in bad need of a valve adjustment and new sparks. I just have finals this week and havent had time for tuning it up.

Yeah I use mine as my DD also...
Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 AM

haha well.. my exhuast is unique. its Y piped and comes out behind both rear tires. with i think 2 2-1/2 pipin with glass packs on each side.. it has its own unique sound.. hopefully with it being the new motor an all. it will run good and strong and will please me. and with it being a new motor i wont have to tune it at all >.< but its basically a brand new 22re for free. so i aint really complining.. an ya im gonna drive this one a lot more carefully than i did with my last motor. haha i actually street raced my truck alot always gettin high RPM's but no more of that.. but would you have any suggestions on good air intake
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 AM

haha..not really man. I havent moded the intake or exhaust yet. But some kind of high flow intake would do..and like you said, a snorkle if you're going mudding or deep water. Cold air intakes supposedly increase hp by like 5, give or take a few, and it depends on what other set ups you have. Search around here more...theres some custom intakes that are pretty sweet.
A free 22re..lucky bastard Do you have HIDs? looks like it from your pic
Old 05-08-2008, 01:06 AM

haha well how im ending up with the motor is.. a guy just build that motor for a celica. well i got givin a 81 f100 300-c-straight-6 so were tradin straight up.. so its basically free haha.. actually i have silver star light bulbs. and Angel eyes. "halos" when you turn your daytyme runnin lights on my halos come on.. if i could figure out how to put a picture in here. i will put one up and show you a close up.. haha i actually have police lights mounted on the front.. pretty badass
Old 05-08-2008, 12:46 PM

Ahh. Nice trade. that'd be sweet if you could get a pic of the halos. I want some HIDs...but converting would be a pain. To do pictures i think you have to have them on like photobucket or some of those kinds of sites...not sure completely
Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 PM

haha actually i had uploaded my pics. just look through and then type in my name somewhere or another its kinda just self explainatory. but i do have a pic of the front. just look them up under yodaboi they should pop up.. tell me what ya think.. haha and ya i actually think i mighta lucked out on it tho. i also kno where 2 other 22-re are forsale.. 1 for $100-0miles i do believe and another for $100 that needs works. would be a fun prject motor
Old 05-08-2008, 12:53 PM

actually.. i just figured it out. here is a pic of the front of my yota. with my angel eyes "halos"

Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM

jeez..100 for a 22re? are you sure it isnt 1000? 100 is cheap for any engine, specifically a 22re! a used one with like 100K miles can go for 1200-1500 here....

Those lights are bad ass. are they bright? i mean my stock ones are pretty bright...but i still have 2 6inch light force and 2 6x8" generic halogens that came with the roll bar. i dont have the 6x8s on anymore though since it doesnt get completely dark in the summer!

Last edited by 907Toyota; 05-08-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey yoda boy why not put your truck specs on your signature??

do you have a 22re in it now?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 PM

ehh.. there not really all that bright.. i mean for what they are ya. you cant drive with them. i was parked under a carport an barley saw them against the wall from about 5-7 feet.. just for show purpose really.. haha well its a feller i kno.. he just wants to get rid of it.. its all just of case of who ya kno..

An bigT haha havent thought about doin that.. but i will go jump right on that .. an ya i do have a 22re its blown.. i cracked my block. but im puttin a brand new one in this weekend! cant wait to get her back on the road and back in the trails!