Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 88 3.0 is eating antifreeze again!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My 88 3.0 is eating antifreeze again!!

Well, my 88 after the whole head gasket dibocle from a few months back with the local stealership is still eating antifreeze, I dont see a leak, I dont smell it and the oil filler cap is still clean but Ive had to fill the overflow bottle up from 100% empty a few times since the head gasket job was done, I just drove to Baltimore MD to pick up a new to me garden tractor and it drank the entire coolant reserve bottle. The dealership did a pressure test and it held pressure so Im really confused as to where the coolant is going!!!! Any ideas? The truck seems to be running fine and isn't using an abnormal amount of fuel, starts right up and all but is eating coolant. I think Im going to just let it go and eat itself dry, the head gasket job is still under warranty, I have a feeling since they admitted to not milling my heads that its probably related but cant prove it though if the head gasket fails again and Im far away from home I will run it in 2nd gear till I get to the dealership or my house which ever is closer! It sucks because with it eating antifreeze Its constantly in the back of my mind that something is going to let go, its only a matter of time, like driving to Baltimore from Harpers Ferry the other evening towing a small trailer at 70mph on I70, had it lost a head gasket I would have had to pay out the a$$ for a tow etc. Any thoughts on where the coolant could be going or ways to check the H Gaskets?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:33 AM

I'm no expert
maybe the radiator just never got filled and burped properly thus causing the liquid in the overflow bottle to be sucked back end to the rad...I would also suspect a leak,which I didn't smell either at the #1 water bypass tube directly under the intake manifold,I had a slow leak for a while but then the whole tube blew out on me on my way to work, it's worth looking into just my 02 cents
here is a pic of that tube and the red circles show where the metal tube blew out on my 95 3vze(this is a borrowed pic that I added circles to to illustrate where my tube was blown out)
Old 11-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Angry Looding coolant

I have a 94 3vze. I blew the rods from driving with oil leaks at main seal and elsewhere. I had just purchased 6 months. Lemon engine wise. So it was loosing coolant from bottle since day one. Records show head gasket recall was done. I blew it from no oil. I then replaced with remanufactured longblock, plus new water pump, power steering lines, most hoses, intake tubing, a/c compressor because leaking p/s caused a/c clutch to sieze on po, etc , etc. The whole engine bay is like new. Runs like a new engine. Sounds awesome with the Jardine cat back I intalled.
Idles like a purring kitty, Thanks to new idle valve thing that peeps fry when cleaning tb. And since day one of the new enine I still go though the overflow bottle in 2k miles give or take and have to refill. Mech did pressure test, block test, head test cause I was wooried of head gasket issues. New engine had updated gaskets by the way. So pros can't figure where the coolant is going and I can't figure it out. This is not normal right? No leaks can be found, no smell of coolant. Oil changed 3 times already right at or before 3k since new engine installed. Where is it going???

Last edited by SoCalR6; 11-19-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaking heater core? Mine leaks slowly now, but a few weeks ago it was drinking a lot of coolant. I just did the headgasket a year ago too. Mine doesn't leak inside the cab. I was told it might be vaporizing.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 11-19-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM

That's a thought. I'm used to leaky Heater cores smelling like on my 95 vr6 gti, another scourge of the v6 world. I'm a glutten for punishment. I spent so much on this 2wd 4runner! It was the last straw that lead me to ch7. End result was a free 4runner & motor, not my intention but oh well, thanks Visa. I will check that core out. Gotta be an area that is steaming it off and out of reach.

Last edited by SoCalR6; 11-19-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Typing on iPhone sucks