Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My '87 SR5 Pickup with a 22RE won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '87 SR5 Pickup with a 22RE won't start.

My 1987 SR5 with 303,000 miles has a problem starting. The vehicle was running great; however, I smelled raw gasoline. Upon checking, I discovered a fuel leak in the #4 injector - the o-ring had split. I took the upper EFI system apart and repaired this problem and put everything back together. Here is the problem: When I turn the key over, the truck starts, then dies. I turn it over again and it dies again. I turn it over a third time and it dies again. The fourth time I turn it over, it just cranks. If I let the truck sit for a few minutes, the pattern repeats itself - three times it starts and dies, etc...

Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds starved of fuel.
vac lines, pinched line to the fuel filter, ground. electrical connection issue where you did the injector work.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Yes, I agree. When it starts and I press the gas pedal (or don't press the gas pedal), it dies. I shall check all of these. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:08 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Starts, runs a few seconds, then dies, is the classic sign of a VAF-COR problem.

First, you DID reassemble the induction plumbing, didn't you? A fuel injected engine won't run w/o the air cleaner attached. Did you correctly reconnect the VAF? If the VAF is disconnected, the fuel pump will start with the key to STA (start), but it needs the switch in the VAF to keep the COR closed and power the pump. You can check the VAF-COR circuit by jumpering FP to B+.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:21 PM

I shall check that also. I did reassemble the induction plumbing, but it doesn't hurt for me to do it all over. It doesn't take long to do and I did have my son helping me.