Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Morning Start/Hard Cold Start/Fuel Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:13 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Paperclip is no doubt the better way.
I always stress that our senses are the best diagnostic tools for our classics.
Next is the multi-meter...
Gotta add, third is the paper clip.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, Good morning Yota Techers,

I am not exactly sure that this is related or belongs in my current thread but easier to keep it all in one place maybe.

Monday morning I went to start my truck and it fired up right away but it was not idling right at all, it was jumping all around and staying closer to 4-500 RPMs, but we all know that a cold engine should be idling at closer 1-1200 RPMs. I am afraid that my cold starting issue is returning with the change in the weather, however, I opened the hood while it was running rough when I first started it and I did notice something I had not heard before. There was a clicking/ticking sound coming from what sounded like the inside of the distributor, I am very concerned about that, I know that a bad distributor can make your engine run pretty bad, with misfires and what not.

Is it possible that my distributor is going bad and its symptoms are only really showing in the colder weather?

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ajetski07
... it was not idling right at all, it was jumping all around and staying closer to 4-500 RPMs, ... a clicking/ticking sound coming from what sounded like the inside of the distributor,...
Check to make sure you don't have leaks between AFM / Airbox and intake manifold.
open up your distributor and check condition.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Sure. Localize that sound. You can get a fancy stethoscope for cheap https://www.harborfreight.com/mechan...ope-63296.html , but for something as accessible as the distributor the tube from inside a roll of paper towels works really well.

I used that method (before I got the fancy stethoscope) when my GF said her car sounded like it was chewing up aluminum cans. I found the sound was coming from the distributor (bad bearings), and replacing the distributor solved the problem.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Thanks, RAD, I always appreciate your input on everything.

From the outside, the distributor looks brand new but I know that this can be deceiving, gonna check that when I get home from work today.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:46 AM

Good morning Yotaheads,

I just wanted to reach out and give an update here on this.

I checked for air and vacuum leaks and there was none that I could find, inspecting the distributor and it appeared to be in good order so I made an appointment for after the Thanksgiving holiday to take it into my mechanic and let him have a look.

This morning I had to leave for work before the sun was up and when I fired my truck up the issue was back again, fired right up and the idle was really low and surging a bit. I decided to open the hood and see if I could hear that electrical clicking sound this time, sure enough, I did hear the click and what I noticed this time was my Ah Ha moment! Since it was dark outside I could clearly see a small electrical arc between where one of the wires connects to the distributor and the power steering pump. I tried to just make sure the connections were tight with all the plugs but it was still arcing and stumbling around.

I would say that I am almost positive this is the issue, that will explain the little surges at around 2-3000 RPM's while driving also, it's having a little misfire most likely because of this current draw.

I am going to let my regular mechanic check it out since he is a family friend who I trust and I know he won't lead me to believe it needs more than it does, but I am also thinking I will just get a new cap, rotor and plug set since these items most likely need to be replaced anyway.

Thanks everyone for all of the tips and tricks!!

I will update again once I have a chance to get this further.

Last edited by ajetski07; 11-22-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 AM

... I could hear that electrical clicking sound ....
... I could clearly see a small electrical arc between where one of the wires connects to the distributor and the power steering pump.....
AHA! Perfect proof that our senses are the best troubleshooting tools, followed by the multi--meter.
Curious... which wire would that be? Ignition wire? Could have a crack in the insulation? A picture paints a thousand words and could help you save $$ if we saw it.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 11-22-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
AHA! Perfect proof that our senses are the best troubleshooting tools, followed by the multi--meter.
Curious... which wire would that be? Ignition wire? Could have a crack in the insulation? A picture paints a thousand words and could help you save $$ if we saw it.
I did take a video of the electrical arc this morning but you can't really see anything besides the little blue arc because it is so dark outside. I would say that I am almost 100% sure that it was coming from the number 2 wire on the distributor. The arc was coming right from where they connect and going to the PS pump.

I will try to maybe get a pic of it during the light today as well, but I only noticed this finally today because of it being so dark outside.

Thanks to everyone for there help as usual!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0414.MOV (541.2 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by ajetski07; 11-22-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 PM

If your ignition wire is arcing through the insulation to ground then that means you have no or every weak spark to cylinder 2. That could definitely cause your running and starting issue.

always fix known issues prior to others.

at this point i would say a good set of oem toyota ignition wires is in order, however a picture of said wire would confirm for us giving advice.

do yourself a favor and do not buy parts store wires. Get toyota
Old 11-26-2017, 07:43 PM

Hey Everyone,

I was able to capture the arc in a photo, I went ahead and ordered some new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I am thinking that should do the trick. Connection at wire #2 arching out to the power steering pump.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:20 AM

Hey Everyone,

I was able to capture the arc in a photo, I went ahead and ordered some new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I am thinking that should do the trick.Connection at wire #2 arching out to the power steering pump.
WOW! That's a nice clear picture! Inspecting those individual parts may have saved you some money, but replacing those 30 or so year-old parts makes sense.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
WOW! That's a nice clear picture! Inspecting those individual parts may have saved you some money, but replacing those 30 or so year-old parts makes sense.

Thanks RAD, it just kept snapping shots I figured I would capture the arc in one of them.

BAD NEWS FOLKS, my 4Runner was STOLEN from my home last night most likely sometime around 3am-6am.

Stolen from Sacramento, CA.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 AM

...BAD NEWS FOLKS, my 4Runner was STOLEN from my home last night most likely sometime around 3am-6am.
Stolen from Sacramento, CA.
Oh no!
I hope you get it back.
No theft-deterrent?
Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Well, I had a club locking my steering wheel and what not, but no alarm or anything installed yet.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 829 Likes on 556 Posts
Curious to know what the resistance is on that plug wire and what the spark plug looks like. Something must make it want to jump a half inch instead of the plug gap.

Nice "snow runner' avatar by the way!
Old 11-27-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Curious to know what the resistance is on that plug wire and what the spark plug looks like. Something must make it want to jump a half inch instead of the plug gap.

Nice "snow runner' avatar by the way!

Well Unforunately, we may never know now. Maybe you saw above, but she was STOLEN from my driveway last night.