Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

More work on my 4runner....

Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More work on my 4runner....

I've had the CEL on for quite a while now and I have to get my truck smogged. It's throwing a code 52, so I'm trying to find the knock sensor for it. Does anyone know where to buy the Denso one?

Anyways, my clutch pedal isn't working right either.
I think the clutch problem is the slave and master cylinder. I just ordered new ones from Marlin Crawler. Should be here tomorrow.

I need a new muffler and Cat also! Any suggestions/tips?
Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 AM

Good luck on the 52 never could fix mine in process of 1uz swap. On the clutch I had a 93 4runner that the clutch pedal bracket cracked on causing the pedal not to have enough throw check it before buying parts.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Dropping the truck off on Thursday to the mechanic. Gonna change the timing belt, knock sensor, PCV valve, the clutch master cylinder and slave. Also changing the oil in the transmission, the gearboxes, and the motor. Going to the muffler shop in the morning to talk to him about new muffler and cat. Anything else I should do will I have it apart??
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Your code is probably not due to the sensor (they're pretty rugged and there isn't much that can go wrong with them), but to the "pigtail" wire that connects to it. I'm pretty sure any mechanic worth his salt will just automatically replace the pigtail, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. As to the sensor, if you're paying a mechanic to dig in that far, well, it probably makes sense to spend the money on a new sensor.

As AZSpeed suggests, check the clutch pedal bracket. You might want to ask the mechanic to do that first (or do it yourself); you may not need the other parts.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM

The slave is leaking fluid out of it. It seemed the bracket was ok. The CEL came on about 8k miles after a new head gasket, valve cover gasket and fixing a bunch of vacuum leaks. The exhaust is getting checked out in the am.

I've read a ton of threads on what the causes could be for the code 52. I've fixed most of the issues it seems. If the pigtail doesn't fix it I'll just keeping plugging away at it!

Thanks for the input fellas!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 PM

Yeah the code 52 pissed me off my engine runs strong had the heads freshened up great compression but after trying new pigtail 3 knock sensors and running new wire back to the computer the only thing left is bad circuit in computer I threw in the towel and am doing the 1uz swap maybe I will look around for another truck with a blown motor and put my engine in and have a beater I was tired of throwing parts at it. One guy said he replaced the computer and still had the code. I was afraid that if I bought a computer and it still didn't work I would blow it up .......spent days taking it apart and putting it back together over and over. I think I could do a knock sensor with my eyes closed.....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 AM

Just had the same problem and although each case is different I would not replace knock sensor you are wasting 250 . Dollars to donuts your pigtail sensor is bad just went thru the same thing last week and when my mechanic got it tore down the wire was missing sensor was there bought new wire and bye bye 52 hello overdrive
Old 03-20-2013, 09:02 PM

Update...
Cat and muffler replaced, helped a lot. Clutch master and slave replaced, the slave was bad. Everything apart now to swap the knock sensor pigtail. Gonna go ahead and replace the sensor as well. Also gonna replace the timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and radiator hoses.....
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM

Update:
So my clutch was still giving me issues and we found a hose coming from the master cylinder with a crack. Fixed that. Water pump was leaking so we replaced that. Also did the timing belt and one of the pulleys was trashed, so we replaced that also. After we got it all back together couldn't get it running right. It seems there is no compression in the middle drivers side cylinder. My Mechanic suggests having the heads rebuilt. Any suggestions?
I took it up to Mendocino National Forest last week. It runs OK on the trails. Just kinda gnarly on the highway going up the hills and only getting 13mpg....