86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mods to improve mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mods to improve mileage?

This seems kinda counter to most mods, but I just got rid of my '01 hyundai (32mpg avg) to get an 88 4runner v6 so I could spend the summer camping and adventuring around cali. Since 90% of my travels will probably be on freeways, paved roads and beaten paths I'm wondering if there's anything simple I can do to improve gas mileage without totally loosing performance.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
1. Make sure your O2 sensor is current (if over 100,000 miles, it needs replacing).

2. Ensure you have no vacuum leaks. There are MILES of vacuum hose going to VSVs, etc. all over this engine. Use a propane torch to check for leaks (UNLIT!!)...move it around ALL hoses, including the ones going down to the front diff if you have ADD. A slight idle-up indicates a leak there.

3. Make sure the brakes aren't dragging.

4. Use a thinner synthetic gear oil (I use Amsoil 75w-90) in the tranny (GL-4 ONLY) and differentials.

5. Basic tuneup is in order....new distributor rotor, wires, plugs, etc. I recommend OEM Denso for all.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 05-01-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM

If it's 4x4 get manual hubs.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Tnrabbit, thanks I'm going to keep that list around. How does one check with a propane tourch? Since it spent this whole last snow season parked and has 261k miles, a tune-up is happening before I even try to move it. Fired up without hesitation though which was quite nice, the wires look like they're in good condition so I wasn't really thinking about replacing them. Any recommendations for oil?
Tex, its 4x4 and already has manual hubs
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 AM

thinking about trying to put in a high gear ratio for 3rd and 4th gear since I wouldn't need it anywhere but on pavement, any tips?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There isn't a awhole lot can be done for the 3VZ engine as far as mpg. They suck no matter how much money you can throw at them. Best thing is a tune up and good small street tires.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:53 AM

From the reading I've done it looks like the best I can hope for is 20 to maybe 22mpg?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 AM

how badly will street tires affect it's offroad capabilities? I don't have much desire to try crawling or mudding (might change in the future) but there are a labyrinth of dirt roads where I live (eastern sierras) that I've been wanting to explore and tons of snow in the winter.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

It's good that you have a locking hubs.

As far as the propane torch goes, you won the engine up then let it idle. While it's idling, turn the torch on then run it around by the vacuum hoses. If you get an idle up, tere is a leak in there. Do this slowly and methodically covering every inch of the hoses.

Gear changes are not going to do much for your mileage.... it will likely only bog you down on the hills.

You only WISH you can get 20 miles per gallon. Expect 15-- if you get better you're lucky.

By the way, whether plug wires are good or not have little to do with the appearance of the exterior.

Tires will be a trade-off. Good mileage is not usually associated with off-road tires. Good off-road traction is not usually associated with great fuel economy.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 05-01-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

The bigger question is why was it sitting all last winter....??

Read the epic 3vze thread in my signature.... print a copy and keep it in your glove box.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 05-01-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take out as much extra weight as you can, remove back seats, all upholstery, carpets, tools, spare tire, etc.

You could also make it 2wd and save lots of weight...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
The bigger question is why was it sitting all last winter....??

Read the epic 3vze thread in my signature.... print a copy and keep it in your glove box.
was told that it was sitting because she got a newer land cruizer and didn't need to drive the yota, plus it needed a new alternator and clutch bled. will do.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:02 PM

not sure about how much weight I can save, might take out one of the rear seats to save weight but I'm also planning to do a lot of camping in it this summer and my hope is to be able to make it 2wks in the woods without needing to resupply, which will mean a lot of weight in water alone.
go in today and couldn't get any of the windows to go down :/ hoping it was just me not pressing the right switch
Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 PM

there is really not much that can improve mileage on the freeway due to massive wind resistance and unsprung weight on the truck. I do know that changing the gearing helps gas mileage at low speeds because the engine does not labor as hard to get the vehicle up to speed. But again, once you are at speed wind resistance is the primary enemy and theres not much to do about that.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:48 AM

Wind resistance goes up as speed squared. Higher rpms also take a hit. Less aggressive tires, inflated to 35psi are good. Loafing along at 60mph/2500 rpm can get you about 25mph. Or better if you draft semis!

I can second changing the 02 sensor. Toyota says every 80,000 miles. I waited until 107,000 and saw a dramatic improvement, so I believe the factory now. Keeping your injectors in good order would also help driveability and mpg.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 PM

I was thinking about changing all my glass to lexan or something light weight... took off my stock running boards for a set of light weight tubular steps. I removed all the carpet out of the back of the runner and plan on replacing some of the stock sound matting with upgraded lightweight dynomat. I have the v6 auto and I know what its like to have bad gas mileage. Go to a local shop and replace all of your fluids with synthetic.
The v6 also needs to breath..... exhaust crossover elimination and an intake mod helps a lot with low end torque and hence gas mileage.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Duffdog
Take out as much extra weight as you can, remove back seats, all upholstery, carpets, tools, spare tire, etc.
Seriously?

Everyone always says to reduce weight in every way possible to get better fuel economy. What they never say is that it will only make a negligible difference in highway fuel economy if it's measurable at all. Why sacrifice the vehicle's function, comfort, convenience, and even safety for nothing?

It will help city economy where you're burning gas to accelerate that extra mass only to throw the energy away as heat through the brakes when you have to stop.

Other than that, make sure the engine is in good tune, keep air in your tires, adjust your driving style, keep the tailgate up, and maybe consider low drag bed cover like a tonneau or Aerolid (if they ever become available). Bed caps are big investment/low return like gutting your interior, so I wouldn't get one just to help fuel economy. One more thing is to install a vacuum gauge and make a game out of keeping engine vacuum up/RPM down while you drive.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 05-05-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All good advice so far. Just remember that the 4runner is a freaking sail to drive and any head wind will just kill it. What I recommend is keep it stock height with stock sized tires on it and drive it like you're much older and more timid than you are until you get off the beaten path. Then drive it like a Toyota. My 89 is getting 16mpg (22re) with the summer fuel and it's lifted and has all kinds of crap on top of it that create more drag. I do drive like I'm 85 though, keep the rpm under 4000 once I'm cruising and listen to the engine to make sure I'm not loading it. Once you drive for a while you'll be able to tell when that 3vz is doing it's best and when it's not. Adjust your pressure on the skinny pedal to accommodate. Since you are talking about using it for camping and hauling a lot of weight I'd recommend some all terrain tires or maybe just some good inexpensive street tires if you don't think you'll be going anywhere crazy. I made the mistake of putting big ol' rock crawler tires on my rig and they eat up my mpg since they are heavy. They are also loud as heck on the highway. If I could do it again I'd have gone with some all terrains or something similar.

Don't lift it. Don't get huge tires and you won't have to regear it. Keep all your camping gear in the cargo area and not on top to create drag.

The great thing about that 4runner is that you can sleep in the back with a few mods. This is what my lady and I do so anywhere you can get that rig into (and there are a lot of places you can go) you can camp in.

Oh and have fun.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:59 PM

Hey dirt driver, if he is gonna go camping off road, the weight savings that he can do without losing safety or comfort will help with gas mileage even if its only by a little. overall it will take a few different things to make an under powered heavy rig like ours run efficiently. truthfully a 5 speed auto from a newer truck would be an expensive upgrade but one of the best for gas mileage if you can get it to work with the older motor.
Weight savings are Cheap and easy to do. I bet I can shave 300lbs and you wouldn't tell the difference on mine
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Weight has not been a factor for me at all. I get the same 280 miles per tank in the 01 weather I'm empty or hauling 400 pounds of work tools. Generator, nack box, saws, and other misc.

But I do get about 220 per tank towing my camp trailer. Big difference, but its 3K and lots of wind drag.

IMO "shaving wieght" is ridiculous. Like trying to stop a train with a parachute lol.

Quick Reply: mods to improve mileage?