Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Missing connections on back of 3VZE

Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Missing connections on back of 3VZE - Pics

I was doing the U by-pass hose in the back of my 3.slow the other day and I noticed a few connections missing back there.

One vacuum line was just hanging out back there, and it looks like one of the coolant sensors just has no wiring going to it. I also noticed what looks like a thick copper ground wire that was just hanging out not connected to anything.

The engine runs perfect, only problem is the crap mileage, but that's "normal".

Anyway here are some pics, anybody know where that vacuum line goes, I don't want to have a vacuum leak.

Thanks.

Last edited by mmcpeck; 02-22-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The pics do not appear to be showing up.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:07 PM

Yeah, something got screwed up, hopefully this works. Pics are kind of crappy, for some reason my camera overexposes everything.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by mmcpeck; 02-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hope these help, these are from my rebuild two years ago. '89 4Runner 3.0 V6 Automatic. I think you have a broken sensor, there should be 2x vacuum ports on that green sensor. Not sure where your connector is for the second sensor in from the right.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
there should be 2 vacum lines coming off of that solenoid. And i believe it is cold start related. The thermal timer or something of that nature. Could in a way make your bad mileage worse if the cold start injector is not working properly. hope that helps. You could also go to a dealer and ask them what those sensors are back there.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Ok, so in my pics it looks like the small vacuum hose that is not connected is supposed to be connected to where the other vac hose in the picture is connected to, right next to it. That other vac hose in my pic is coming from the cannister. So it looks like, based on Outlaw Mike's pics, that the vac line coming from the canister should go to the top missing/broken vac port on my sensor and then the disconnected vac lin in my pic should just wrap around to where the canister is connected now.

Does that sound correct? Not sure if I explained right.

Does anybody know what that green electrical sensor, the one circled 3rd from the right, is for? I can take the connector off the sensor and see very small broken copper wires on top of it, but I can't find and broken wires anywhere that should be going to it. Does anybody know what that sensor controls?

The vac switch looks relatively easy, I will get a new one of those and replace it and re-route the vac lines. What's the chances that that vac switch/sensor is stuck into that manifold thing back there and breaks off when I try to replace it??

Man this is BS, this engine was pulled apart by Toyota 10K ago for the HG campaign and they put new heads on, and they just didn't replace that broken vac switch/sensor(which they probably broke), didn't replace that broken electrical coolant sensor and obviously didn't replace that bi-pass hose back there, because when I did it, it basically fell apart in my hands from being so deteriorated from the heat back there.

You always figure the dealer isn't a scumbag, but apparently this one was.

Also anybody ideas about that wire that looks like a ground? I am assuming it's a ground and will probably just crimp a connector on it and re-fasten it somewhere to the top of the plenum wher the other ground fastens.

Last edited by mmcpeck; 02-22-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM

Hmm, would have figured somebody would hav an idea what that sensor and that vacuum switch is back there.