Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MegaSquirt DIYPNP Your 22RE - The Tutorial!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ronmar
The ECT(electronically controlled transmission) version could throw some curves into the mix. I am not exactly sure how the Stock ECU interacts with the ECT...

Me neither. All I know is that nothing was funky when I was running MS-II on my 88 that is auto.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure both have the 4 points (22r and 22re) and the 22re dizzy connects to the 22re coil and igniter with a factory plug so it should work?
Will i have to remove the weights? or will it still work with them still connected? as the advance is controlled by the computer? does this sound right?

I'm from Melbourne but i've just moved to Canberra.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie22r
I'm pretty sure both have the 4 points (22r and 22re) and the 22re dizzy connects to the 22re coil and igniter with a factory plug so it should work?
Will i have to remove the weights? or will it still work with them still connected? as the advance is controlled by the computer? does this sound right?

I'm from Melbourne but i've just moved to Canberra.
If it has the counterweights, they will have to be removed. The vacume diaphram rotates the plate that the hall effect pickup sensor is attached to altering it's relationship with the 4point signal rotor, just like rotating the distributor does. No vacume applied, the pickup stays in one place.

The signal rotor can rotate several degrees on the distributor shaft. The flyweights change the relationship of the signal rotor to the distributor shaft(altering timing) based on RPM. You will need to remove the weights. You should be able to reconnect the springs to hold/lock the signal rotor in place on the distributor shaft.

On the non vacume distributor, the signal rotor is fixed to the distributor shaft and ALL the timing control is performed by the ECU. This is how MS will do it also.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mcm375
Ron I have noticed that MS control of the timing via VAST is not perfect, I am seeing a roughly 5 degree variance across the rev range between commanded timing and actual timing.

I am checking this by setting a fixed timing in TunerStudioMS, say 10 degrees, then using my timing light (http://www.equus.com/product_info.ph...tegory_id=1_20, it supports "advance" via strobe delay from 0 to 90 degrees) to dial in the distributor at say idle, but as I open the throttle and engine speeds increase, the timing varies slightly even with the fixed timing configured in MS.

Have you noticed this? My DIYPNP board/pin connections and tune configuration are identical to yours in your guide regarding ignition timing.
How exactly is the timing varying? Is it semi-random, or a fairly steady amount of advance / retard as the RPM changes? If it's the latter, you can probably dial it out by adjusting the spark latency settings; let me know if you'll need help getting this set up.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:23 AM

Jerry from DIYAutoTune.com here-- did you ever get the timing variance you reported corrected? It shouldn't be a problem to correct, as Matt mentioned above there could be a latency adjustment that's needed at higher RPM. I just want to make sure all is well with your setup...
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by FoundSoul
Jerry from DIYAutoTune.com here-- did you ever get the timing variance you reported corrected? It shouldn't be a problem to correct, as Matt mentioned above there could be a latency adjustment that's needed at higher RPM. I just want to make sure all is well with your setup...
Nope but have not messed with it more since posting way back when...

I do need to pull the motor out at some point soon to diagnose an oil consumption issue.

Otherwise, the ECU portion of it is great and has been very reliable.

I did implement a PWM style IAC also, which is very nice to have on this old truck.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Bookmarking!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:18 AM

Any updates on this thread? I just ordered my Megasquirt so it should be going in over easter
Old 04-16-2011, 03:21 AM

fellow Aussie

Hey Aussie22r,Just a fellow Aussie here, Up in sunny (not) Qld. Can you let me know how your MS goes? I converted my 22r to Re a few years back(after I got sick of playin with the 34ADM weber off a xf Falc. I used a corona avante donor,put a cressida 5mge butchered Afm on it and some major porting, decent cam and big valves, and was looking at a LCengineering setup but if you have a success, I'll definitely give it a bash.Thanks.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:20 PM
dno

Originally Posted by ronmar
here is my .02

Eventually, I will do away with the AFM and might perhaps go with a direct drive coil using the hall effect pickup in the stock distributor. But for now, the stock VAST ignition system seems to be working well for my needs. And again, dead easy to get started with the DIYPNP...
Ron, I'm trying to figure out how to do the direct drive coil using the stock 86 distributor. Also, where did you pull power from and send ground to for the wideband?

I'm doing the same project now on my DOA built 22re.

Thanks, DNO
Old 07-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone done any before/after performance or mileage numbers on a MS conversion?
Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 PM
dno

I just finished getting my DIYPNP installed with a PLX M300 wideband on my DOA HP150 22re and let me say this...even with only a no load tune; the throttle response is quicker and it feels much healthier. The only driving I've done so far is with my laptop running VE Analyze Live sitting in the passenger seat making corrections to the tune while I shuttled my baby out of the garage onto the street so I could pull my wife's Honda in. Still more tuning to do.

I started this MS journey because I had an idle miss that I couldn't find.

I ended up pulling the head and sending it back to Tim@DOA after 13 years for some freshening. He installed nitrided valves and updated the port work, and its beautiful work. Tim is a great guy to work with and he knows his stuff. I've been a customer for many years, even dropped by his shop when he was still in Cali and he made sure everything was good to go and running right.

These old motors' restrictive EFI system is 1983 computer technology.

The megasquirt gives us a way to eliminate the weak links and get the most from our engine mods and running properly. The wideband gauge is cool because you can watch as the AFR changes because Tunerstudio makes adjustments.

I believe you have to do other performance mods to see any appreciable horsepower increases with Megasquirt. I have done a few things that should help.

I gasket matched the late model upper plenum and installed a big bore throttle body. Exhaust is a thorley tri-y and 2.5" exhaust.
Head porting is one area these motors really suffer, so the aforementioned porting should really come alive along with eliminating the AFM to allow it to breath.

I will be driving this naturally aspirated for a while to see how it does but now that the computer is up to the task I will be on the lookout for some deals on turbo parts for a low boost setup. Why not...I've had this truck for 21 years and it looks and runs better than the day I bought it.

Last edited by dno; 07-03-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, also running an MLS head gasket
Old 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM

This is an old post- but still relavant I think.

Have a 1990 4runner, and as with all things it seems, mine is different.

Wanted to install the MS in the 4runner primarily for mpg's, 22re auto- I really didn't realize have bad these auto's suck.

My ecm isn't the standard one- probably a changeover year and has the trans controller inside- we tried an 88 chassis ecu bandaid but couldn't get the auto to respond- fix...5speed. Liked that so much got a deal on a relatively low mileage ret/re rebuild and am turboing the old horse- definitely not worth the money, but the cost and uglyness of new trucks in general make me want to keep the rust free 90.

Dumping the vafm, dizzy and going with LS cnp, map daddy, kkk turbo, intercooler, possible water injection, found a set of Cobalt SS supercharged Siemans Deka injectors locally.

One trick that I read about was splitting the injector harness for bank to bank- this was oe on mine.

Should be on the road in aa few weeks.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 PM

Great Thread.......learned a lot of new stuff........................
Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM

FYI Guys-- the DIYPNP is a great box, very affordable and very powerful, and we continue to sell them well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to anyone that's interested in building their own PNP from a kit, build it out right and you've got a rock solid solution that'll do anything you need it to. That said, we decided to go all way for you 22r guys that might not want to build their ECU from a kit and design a full MegaSquirtPNP Gen2 system that'll drop right into your trucks. It's basically everything the DIYPNP is and a bit more, with built in Peak-N-Hold drivers allowing you to run any injector high or low impedance, as well as a much improved knock circuit allowing for noise filtering and bandpass/frequency windowing.

For those of you looking for a drop in install that literally takes less than an hour (maybe as little as 20min for the technically astute) then take a look at the new MSPNP Gen2 for the 22re. Actually, the same model fits a number of Toyotas:

1985-1990 Toyota Pickup or 4Runner with 22RE
1985-1987 Toyota Corolla AE86 with 4AGE
1985-1989 Toyota MR2 with 4AGE
1987-1989 Toyota Corolla FWD models with 4AGE

Here's a link with more info on the features, docs, software, etc:
http://megasquirtpnp.com/

And here they are in the cart: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...2re-p-503.html

As always, thanks for your support, and we'll keep the cool stuff coming!

Last edited by FoundSoul; 04-25-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM

I want to get a pnp unit for a 94 22re
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by cheverlot
I want to get a pnp unit for a 94 22re

Well order one http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...dbfde6bd8f7a65
Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 AM

22re Custom Turbo

I just ordered a turbo kit for my 22re (truck), shes a 93. I heard if you don't exceed 10lbs on it that you will get away without having to tune the ecu or throw a megasquirt on it. Seeing as you have a turbo thrown on yours what did you do to it to get it to run cleanly without sputtering or leaning out on fuel? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-31-2013, 02:44 PM

I no this is a 6month old last post , but I have a completely stock 85 4runner , 22re , 5speed , will the megasquirt gen2 , be worth getting ? will I get better MPG etc.. just wondering , I dont no anything about these .. thanks

Last edited by 85toy4runner; 10-31-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:47 PM

if it is stock, no, not really

Quick Reply: MegaSquirt DIYPNP Your 22RE - The Tutorial!