Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Maybe a belt squeal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a belt squeal?

On my 87 4runner I've got a squeal that sounds like a belt but it's only when I first start it and only at about 2000-3000 rpm (i don't have a tach so I'm guessing). But once the engines warm it goes away. Any ideas on what it may be and how to get rid of it would be great, thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 PM

mine does this too, this didnt happen till I went through a big water hole
Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
What engine? Could be an idler pulley going out if it's a 3vze, but the only way to know for sure is to get in there & check.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 01-20-2011 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM

It's the 22re, although it didn't do it this morning and it was pretty cold. I'm lost at what it could be
Old 01-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Good chance it is one of the idler pulley bearings. One on the p/s and if you have A/C, on there as well. To check, you can pull the belt, spin the idler pulley by hand and feel for looseness, tightness or grittiness as it spins. Fairly easy to clean/re-lube the bearing (if it is not too far gone) or to replace the bearing. I have some replacement bearings if you can't find any locally.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Ok cool I'll check that today and let you know, thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Had a similar issue and didn't know what it was until the idler pulley for the PS locked up and smoked the belt. It's a really easy fix though since there is a replaceable bearing in it.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM

you might just need a new belt or just tighten them. when the belts are cold (especially if its cold outside) they are more stiff and tend to slip more. as they warm up and become more soft they grip better. if you start the truck and turn on a bunch of stuff that works your alternator more then its going to have a higher load which makes more resistance, more likely for belts to squeal in that situation. i'm doing a belt change this weekend cause when it's cold in the morning (like less then 20) i can't turn on any power accessories until it warms up or else it starts to squeal. could just be loose belts but they are due for a change anyways. good luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:04 PM

I found out my problem is a bad pully. It has a lot of play in it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:51 PM

i've got squeal

I recently bought a 93 4x4 manual 22re, when I first got it there was an occasional squeal when it was wet out. Now it's squealing in dry weather too, it is cold now though. The problem is that it only squeals for a few seconds while I'm driving so I can't get under the hood to pinpoint it. It's most common when I'm coming to a stop or slowing to turn a corner regardless of how far or long I have been driving it happens on short trips and 2-3 hour trips. Usually right around the time I'm engaging the clutch, but it doesn't stop after I let off the clutch. I've noticed no changes with increased pressure on the gas to try to stop it. The squeal used to last about a second or less but now its up to 5-10 seconds at times (still not enough for me to pull over pop the hood and look for it). I'm hoping to solve it before it gets to that point b/c not only is it annoying but embarrasing as well. Any ideas?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by beartrap
I recently bought a 93 4x4 manual 22re, when I first got it there was an occasional squeal when it was wet out. Now it's squealing in dry weather too, it is cold now though. The problem is that it only squeals for a few seconds while I'm driving so I can't get under the hood to pinpoint it. It's most common when I'm coming to a stop or slowing to turn a corner regardless of how far or long I have been driving it happens on short trips and 2-3 hour trips. Usually right around the time I'm engaging the clutch, but it doesn't stop after I let off the clutch. I've noticed no changes with increased pressure on the gas to try to stop it. The squeal used to last about a second or less but now its up to 5-10 seconds at times (still not enough for me to pull over pop the hood and look for it). I'm hoping to solve it before it gets to that point b/c not only is it annoying but embarrasing as well. Any ideas?
Have you tried pushing the throttle with your hand? I don't mean the pedal I mean the actual throttle on the throttle body. Start the truck, let it get to operating temp, open the hood and "goose" the throttle while watching the belts and pulleys. Just be careful not to get your hand in anything angry.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Likely a bearing in one of the idler pulleys. Probably has run low on grease, squeals a while until it heats up a little and throws what little grease is left inside around and that quiets it for the time being. Generally gets progressively worse until it seizes up and fails.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 PM

thanks for the tip, are the idler pulleys replace only or can i fix it before it goes completely?

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Likely a bearing in one of the idler pulleys. Probably has run low on grease, squeals a while until it heats up a little and throws what little grease is left inside around and that quiets it for the time being. Generally gets progressively worse until it seizes up and fails.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Depends on what shape the bearing is in. I usually pull mine every 5 years or so (when I change belts) and pop the bearing out, pry out one seal and clean and grease the bearing and pop the seal back in place. If the bearing is feeling really loose (inside moves around a lot), then a replacement bearing is not that much. I stock some of the common sizes if you can't find any locally (measure ID, OD and thickness to determine type of bearing needed).

Last edited by 4Crawler; 01-28-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 AM

thanks 4crawler, is there a write up for the removal process? i can't seem to find one...i have the fsm but have only found info on the belts, not the pulley itself - maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places
Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by beartrap
thanks 4crawler, is there a write up for the removal process? i can't seem to find one...i have the fsm but have only found info on the belts, not the pulley itself - maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places
See the above photos. Removing the pulley is just like removing the belt. Then pull the bolt out of the center of the pulley/bearing, then remove the bearing from the pulley.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM

few more questions, is there a process for retensioning the belt properly once i put everything back together?

any special tools needed for removing the bearing and seal?

thanks for your help and patience
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Check the tension before you remove it, pressing with thumb in between the long section of belt to see how tight it is now, then re-tension to about that after. I think the FSM lists a tension spec, but usually something like 1/2" deflection with a good thumb press. If putting on a new belt, I usually put it on tighter than that since they will usually stretch a little.

See the pictures above for the bearing removal/install tools. For the seal, I like a small exacto knife to pry the outer edge of the seal loose (see picture above - don't destroy it). Just work around the outer edge like opening a tiny can of paint using the very tip of the blade. I learned how to open up sealed bearings back when I used to skateboard as a kid, saved a boat load of money by cleaning and re-greasing those bearings.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:39 PM

well i took it all apart today and found the bearing to be in decent shape as far as i can tell, i did find that one of the dust covers bent up for some - maybe that's where the horrible squeal came from - here's some pics

looks like someone tried to pry against it, why, i'm not sure

- i checked w/ dealer but they don't sell these so my option was just to hammer it out or drop $200 for a whole new setup, i think hammering worked
...but then i made a poor decision to have the local machine shop hammer out the bearing for me, when i should have just left it alone - this was the result of his hammering...

i know it was an accident...but damn that's an expensive mistake - he filed it all down so i'll see how long i can get by without it chewing up the belt while i try to find an affordable replacement...
for now, i've put everything back together w/ a new belt and so far no squeal, but its warmer out, i'll wait and see if it returns when the temps drop again

Last edited by beartrap; 02-12-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you're pics aren't working there buddy...

Quick Reply: Maybe a belt squeal?