Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Matching paint for grey interior.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Matching paint for grey interior.

Anyone painted interior parts in their runner? Looking for best match to factory grey color.

Surely one of you obsessive types have figured this out.

Thanks in advance. I know the jist on painting the parts...prep..adhesion promoter..etc..

Looking for a paint code or color and pics of stuff you have painted. I have a little aerosol kit that works great for this project. Prefer not to rattle can. But will if its a good match.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it came down to it, and color matching bothered you enough, you could just repaint EVERYTHING a new grey color. Rattle can would be perfect for that, while ensuring a continuous, fluid color.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roark
If it came down to it, and color matching bothered you enough, you could just repaint EVERYTHING a new grey color. Rattle can would be perfect for that, while ensuring a continuous, fluid color.
That sounds like more work to me...lol.

Unfortunately...I am one of those people that can tell the slightest difference between two shades.

Surely someone has figured this out.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You can have it mixed for a spray gun or for an aerasol can. I get mine at Oriellys but I am sure other part stores can do the same thing. There is an off the shelf rattel can that is close but custom mixing will be closer. Just take a 6 inch square piece that they can scan. I normally use the kick panels pieces for the sample.

I will be leaving for work in a few minutes and can get the one that I use for my 86 that is off of the shelf. The runner that you seen is the one I had custom mixed. It does very well. Stacey David used interior paint on Ted Nugents Bronco.

Cleaning is the biggest time consuming part and isnt bad at all. The adhesion and spraying only takes a few minutes and I wait an hour or two before installing the pieces. I can get you the code that is off of the shelf that I use, but I think for yor runner, you would be best to have it custom mixed. It is $23 a can for custom mix and will cover a lot since I am guessing you are just needing to do a few pieces. For a complete coverage minus seats and carpet, it is 3 cans for me. I would not recommend for seats and carpet unless doing patch work.

You will need to find the store that mixes the paint. You have a store that mixes it for the other stores and ships it to them. Just ask the one store you like where their support store is located. For me it is 35 miles away but you probably have one within 5 miles of you. I will get the off of the shelf info for you in a couple of hours as I have a can in my work locker.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
You can have it mixed for a spray gun or for an aerasol can. I get mine at Oriellys but I am sure other part stores can do the same thing. There is an off the shelf rattel can that is close but custom mixing will be closer. Just take a 6 inch square piece that they can scan. I normally use the kick panels pieces for the sample. I will be leaving for work in a few minutes and can get the one that I use for my 86 that is off of the shelf. The runner that you seen is the one I had custom mixed. It does very well. Stacey David used interior paint on Ted Nugents Bronco. Cleaning is the biggest time consuming part and isnt bad at all. The adhesion and spraying only takes a few minutes and I wait an hour or two before installing the pieces. I can get you the code that is off of the shelf that I use, but I think for yor runner, you would be best to have it custom mixed. It is $23 a can for custom mix and will cover a lot since I am guessing you are just needing to do a few pieces. For a complete coverage minus seats and carpet, it is 3 cans for me. I would not recommend for seats and carpet unless doing patch work. You will need to find the store that mixes the paint. You have a store that mixes it for the other stores and ships it to them. Just ask the one store you like where their support store is located. For me it is 35 miles away but you probably have one within 5 miles of you. I will get the off of the shelf info for you in a couple of hours as I have a can in my work locker.
Very useful information here, Terry. Good stuff!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coming from a body man, a 100% match is impossible. If you want a perfect match everything has to be painted. Even more so when trying to match old faded parts.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I picked up some paint in a can that was made for plastic. I don't have the can here at work but Im sure it was SEM brand and they offer a brown that matched my interior, maybe they offer a gray as well......check them out and see.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
coming from a body man, a 100% match is impossible. If you want a perfect match everything has to be painted. Even more so when trying to match old faded parts.
Nothing is impossible. People still buy and drive 3.0 trucks and runners. You would think thats impossible.

Thanks Terry. Just painting a radio bezel is all. and an ashtray. Rest of my interior is great.

I just need the paint. I have a little airbrush deal that works off an aerosol can for propellant. Works awesome for painting interior parts with cutom mixed paints. I used it on my 2004 mach1 when I did pillar and pod guage cluters for the boost and a/f and trans temp...etc.. matched perfect with ford paint.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM

I just painted a radio bezel & ash tray that were red in a former life for my 4r, and the dark gray vinyl paint on the shelf @ orly's did the trick to where it's not noticeable short of staring at it from about 6" away.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

It is a SEM brand. It is called Midnite Black. I like it best for off of the shelf but it is the closest I have found. There is another brand that I cant remember that is called Toyota Gray but I think it is for the newer models.
Name:  cap2_zps81f631e5.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  36.7 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-08-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Roark... It makes a nice difference having a fresh looking interior and is easily done. I will say for example that even if you paint the plastic speedometer bezel and the vinyl dash pad, even with the same spray movement, at the same time, the different materials, will cause a difference in shades of apperance. Even from the factory there is a difference in my opinion.

I just use Adhesion Promoter and then to the color. I hear they sell a primer that might help with the shade difference but have never tried it.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM

I actually enjoy painting stuff. You get a whole bunch of instant gratification. Be interesting when its time to use a real automotive paint and a hvlp gun. Im counting on some help for sure there. Kawasaki's thread is gonna be sweet when its painting time.

Bezel should be here soon. Ill start looking into getting painting stuff together here soon. Had a brutal Dr. visit today with some very painful tests. Involved a scope and ma wee wee. Good news though...no cancer...bladder is all good. My bladder irritation deal is directly related to my s1 disc being ruptured. Now Ill get a damn surgery date...cause they cant wait around if there is such nerve damage going on. /end medical rant....lol.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't consider myself to be the obsessive type...
Name:  WP_20140430_21_35_50_SmartShoot_zps870793b1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  61.2 KB

What it looks like

Name:  IMG_0160_zps18a2ad6f.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  130.5 KB

Last edited by snobdds; 04-30-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I know we don't always see eye to eye Hilux but take care of your back and hope you get better soon.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think he see's eye to eye with anyone...but we all need a dog to kick. So we keep him around.

Last edited by snobdds; 04-30-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:28 PM

I told you guys I was grumpy lately. I warned several times...its lackofgettoworkonmyrigitis.

Had a few more razorblade whizzes this evening from my violent encounter at the doctors. 3 women. Plus my wife.
Circling my junk with tubes and scopes. Rough day man.
Not my idea of a foursome.

Snobbs...I found that paint code you posted a few minutes before you posted it. I copied the pic just so you felt useful...not that Im gonna order..I mean use it.

cough thanks cough cough. mumble grumble.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I know we don't always see eye to eye Hilux but take care of your back and hope you get better soon.
Thanks fish. Dont pay me no mind...Im just a wounded grizzly right now. Im swatting at shadows today.