Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Massive oil leak, can't tell where from.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Massive oil leak, can't tell where from.

Hello so I know that people have made this post before but I'm quite majorly worried about this thing, it's my daily driver and I'm 17, working right now, and when I went out to go get lunch I looked under my truck to see probably a quart or two of oil under the engine. I knew it leaked pretty badly, it's had a past of it but recently with weather anywhere from 30°-50°F it leaks so much more than is acceptable. I did have my timing chain done back in august, and it didn't leak bad immediately then, but it slowly got worse and now it's this bad. He didn't drop the pan or take the head off, I also don't know if he did the oil pump seal. I've done a lot of reading but I'm looking for answers. He did put sleeves on the harmonic balancer but, it's something quite worrying. 22RE, 5 speed manual 4x4, no AC, 145,000 miles. No full rebuild. The entire passenger side is coated in oil along with the pan, transmission, and the front frame and all driveline components for the 4x4 are completely gunked over and soaked in oil.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Those sleeves are junk, they get hot and when you stop the engine it sticks to the front seal and tears it.
Take it off and replace the seal
Old 02-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by SwVa_1stGen
Those sleeves are junk, they get hot and when you stop the engine it sticks to the front seal and tears it.
Take it off and replace the seal
so, it'll tear the front main. Would that have taken a month or two to happen? It started actually leaking this bad more recently, it seems to be leaking the most at the oil pan and the head where it contacts the timing cover. It does not leak from the harmonic balancer, at all. It also seems to leak around the edges of the cover as well. I'm just so stumped on where it's all coming from. I mean it leaked 5 quarts in 4 months!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
You have to face the fact that you had a half-assed job done on the timing chain.

Ocasionally, a lucky guy, ( I would'nt call such a person a mechanic) is able to do a timing job without dropping the pan and/or pulling the head; and getting everything sealed back up oil tight.

You'll probably have to try again. Find someone who will do it right,
Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by millball
You have to face the fact that you had a half-assed job done on the timing chain.

Ocasionally, a lucky guy, ( I would'nt call such a person a mechanic) is able to do a timing job without dropping the pan and/or pulling the head; and getting everything sealed back up oil tight.

You'll probably have to try again. Find someone who will do it right,
Really--doing the whole thing isn't that bad. A friend and I did it, he would slowly work on it, and lazily leave parts around, and then I came over and we finished it because I wanted to get it done as much as he did. About 8 hrs later, it was back together. A miracle. Take your time!
Old 02-13-2017, 02:24 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by 128keaton
Really--doing the whole thing isn't that bad. A friend and I did it, he would slowly work on it, and lazily leave parts around, and then I came over and we finished it because I wanted to get it done as much as he did. About 8 hrs later, it was back together. A miracle. Take your time!

It's all a matter of degree, and of opinion.

There are at least three ways of doing things... the wrong way, the right way, and my way.

All I can say is that things that get fixed 'my way' stay fixed for a long, long time.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by millball
It's all a matter of degree, and of opinion.

There are at least three ways of doing things... the wrong way, the right way, and my way.

All I can say is that things that get fixed 'my way' stay fixed for a long, long time.
Haha. I hope my way is the good way. He has been driving it for 6 months, highway and everything with no issues related to me.