Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mass Air Flow Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass Air Flow Conversion

hey so ive been doing a little research, and i found this company that makes maf. im really not sure if theyll work on the 3VZE, but i was hoping to see if anyone has either heard of them, or if they know if this would work. here the link http://promracing.com/mass-air-meters.html
Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Work as in plug and play? No.

Or could you make one work with the right know how? Yes.

What you're probably looking for though is one of the universal MAF conversion kits from split second. http://www.splitsec.com/products/mafkits/MAFkits2.htm
Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 AM

yeah, i need something like that, but i dont need all that equipment. i just want a maf tube and then ill tune it through my EMS.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:55 AM

http://www.lceperformance.com/LC-Pro...-p/1061490.htm
This all runs less than what I saw on the site you posted.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 AM

i already have the intake. the problem is that the afm is too small and not all the air can go in. a maf will allow more air inside.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Asuarez737
yeah, i need something like that, but i dont need all that equipment. i just want a maf tube and then ill tune it through my EMS.
Your EMS? MegaSquirt?

How come you don't know what type(s) of MAF will work with it? And how would I, or anybody else, know if I/we don't know what type of ECU you've got setup???

i already have the intake. the problem is that the afm is too small and not all the air can go in. a maf will allow more air inside.
And what's wrong with just using the larger AFM instead(assuming there is a need for it)?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM

im still trying to figure out which EMS will be good for me. im between megasquirt or AEM. since it says its universal, i figured someone would know what would be needed to be done in order to allow it to work. i was looking into doing a 7mge afm swap, but if i have the chance, i might as well do a maf. i really dont care if its plug and play or if i have to put a lot of work into it.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure about AEM but MS can be adapted to nearly any MAF sensor, but it's not strictly required with MS either- it can run MAP only.
Depending on what you want to accomplish, the MSII with 3.57 board revision would handle most everything a 3vze needs.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-23-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 PM

so mega squirt is better? i plan on racing baja, but i cant decide which ems is better. im going to have extensive work on my engine and ill prob be hitting somewhere between 275-350hp
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 AM

I can't say which is better. Soley considering the price difference I'd lean MS. If you're a fan of DIY and open source, MS.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
so mega squirt is better? i plan on racing baja, but i cant decide which ems is better. im going to have extensive work on my engine and ill prob be hitting somewhere between 275-350hp
just curious here, why not do a 3.4 swap and have more power from the start? and if you plan on racing "baja" what suspension are you running that your going to need 350hp?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:18 AM

wouldn't it be better to go with a MAP sensor setup if you are considering such a radical change to a MAF with a custom ECU ?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM

i cant do a swap, and im going to be running class 6. my suspension is going to be quad front shocks with 16" travel and the rear is going to be custom trailing arms with 20" of travel. i have no restrictions other than i have to keep original tranny and motor. plus i know that with the help that ill be getting with my engine i can surely get major performance gains. as for a map setup, im still trying to figure out which conversion is better, so far ive heard better things about the maf. but im open to ideas
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORE_Class_6
in class 6, youre only limited to 6 cly but it doesnt say you cant do a swap. it also has a width limit and getting 16'' of front travel is going to be getting close to that limit.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:15 PM

yeah, thats wikipedia, but i have the rulebook, and ive talked to the inspectors and they pretty much said what i have to have. you basically have to maintain the same block and tranny that came with your vehicle, and i dont want to have to deal with all this stuff in the swap when i can get a lot of power out of my 3vz.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 AM

the wiki link was just the first one i grabbed but everything i have read on RDC and DR says that swaps are perfectly fine and class legal. ultimately though, its your truck, your decision, and your money. i hope you have better luck with the 3.0 then everyone else in the past has.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 AM

...as for a map setup, im still trying to figure out which conversion is better, so far ive heard better things about the maf. but im open to ideas
Dude...no AFM, no MAF = no air intake restrictions caused by them. A MAP sensor causes no intake air restriction to be concerned about. There's no real argument for a AFM or MAF if that's what you're worried about.
Originally Posted by Robert m
...i hope you have better luck with the 3.0 then everyone else in the past has.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Need I remind you of this?

TRD 3.0L 3VZ Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart Baja Race Engine
Custom-made, TRD Works Engine Built for Ivan Stewart Item number: 110150161562

Own a piece of history!!! This is a custom-built race engine. All parts specially cast, made and machined by Toyota Racing Development's Race Engine shop, the same folks making the NASCAR race motors. Back when Ivan "the Iron Man" Stewart was fully factory backed with a small army of Toyota technicians and engineers, TRD and PPI hand built a limited run of 3.0L engines to dominate SCORE Baja racing and they DID! Capable of nearly 400 horsepower on a full on race tune, these motors carried Ivan Stewart to multiple Baja 500 and 1000 wins. Most of the motors and parts disappeared to collectors or TRD scrap parts bins but this one got away. It lurked in the shadows of TRD until it was put back into action in a Class 7S race truck by a TRD engineer in 2001. He raced a year or so then sold the truck to the Long Beach Racers who campaigned the truck and WON the Baja 1000 on this motor in 2004. This is a winning, strong motor built with Toyota reliability. The Long Beach Racers ran the truck another 2 years and wanted to switch to Class 7SX which allows for 3.4L motors and more competition. During the Baja 250, they spun a bearing and instead of rebuilding the motor, they decided to make the switch to 3.4L. So if you're looking for a high horsepower motor to run or race or you want to put a piece of history on display in your showroom, this is the last chance for this motor to be available. If you could even get TRD to make you one of these, you'd pay a couple hundred grand or more. The heads are one-off castings for high flow with matching intakes, dry sumped, girdled block, etc. If you know racing and Baja racing at that, you know how rare this opportunity is. Auction includes: TRD 3VZ Racing Engine, including dry sump and pump, ECU's and headers. Basically a complete engine that needs a bottom end rebuild. Spare Parts: Lots of spare sheet metal timing belt covers, etc. 3 cam shafts 1 crankshaft 3 dry sump pans 3 main bearing supports / crank position sensor mounts 4 sets of heads 4 intake manifolds 2 injection systems 1 set of valve covers 1 power steering reservoir 6 ignition coils 7 cam pulleys Lots of spare valves and springs, both new and used Braded stainless steel Dry sump lines with AN fittings 160 amp alternator 1 Ultra Filter oil filter can Extra oil lines 15 velocity stacks 2 crankshaft pulleys New distributor cap TIG welded chrome moly motor mounts I have more pictures with better shots of the spare parts I will email to bidders. Sorry, eBay limits the amounts of pictures I can post.
y minus pics but the listing number is there for all to go look into and pick apart.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-26-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM

Mudhippy, I LOVE YOU! ive never seen that engine before and thats a first! thank you for that! so basically youre saying that none of the air measuring applications are restrictive? if so what would you recommend for me to run? i need something thats pretty much fail proof, and that if something were to go wrong, i can easily fix it with the tools on my support vehicle.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:32 PM

His comment was that if you're worried about intake restrictions, don't use an AFM and dont use a MAF. Use MAP sensing instead.

It's a vacuum / pressure sensor that connects to the intake with vacuum hose, and it along with an intake air temperature sensor (can conveniently mount in the stock manifold where the cold start injector would go) can perform the same function as the AFM or MAF. This makes duct to the throttle and the throttle plate the restrictions in the system.

Oh, and MAP sensing can cope with those other power mods like turbo and supercharging far better than MAF can.

To clarify, there is nothing particularly wrong with MAF operation. It can be difficult to find one that has a response curve suitable to the engine without introducing restriction though: too big and you lose accuracy- to small and you lose flow, and you're pretty much stuck with either using one off the shelf, from a factory engine or aftermarket, with similar air-flow characteristics as yours or paying someone to develop / tune one for you.

It's even possible to use MAF with MAP simultaneously, but why the complication? Remember- K.I.S.S.

Check out AEM and MS's information on "speed/density" tuning.

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-26-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM

ok ill look into it! thanks abecedarian

Quick Reply: Mass Air Flow Conversion