Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Manuel transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manuel transmission help

I have a 1993 V6 4x4 pickup. It has a manuel transmission. I'm trying to check transmission fluid and drain/add fluid. Can't find where to check fluids and add fluids. Any answers. ? Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
http://web.archive.org/web/201210210...nce/2maint.pdf (page 16)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:39 PM

Transmission

Thankyou for the input. But there are multiple variations for this process, my truck is a V6 3.0 4x4 standard tranny. How do I know which one I need to follow instructions for ?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You should have the R150 transmission.

Being this is a Toyota there is no way to know what you have without seeing it.

I find interesting parts all the time

unless you owned the vehicle from new

If you can`t figure this out perhaps get some help
Old 03-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wyoming9
You should have the R150 transmission.

Being this is a Toyota there is no way to know what you have without seeing it.

I find interesting parts all the time

unless you owned the vehicle from new

If you can`t figure this out perhaps get some help
Hey Wyoming, would you happen to know what tranny is in my 89 4Runner SR5 3VZE manual? For some reason my vin says I have an auto and I guess my configuration tag is missing.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 PM

Transmission

Does anyone have an exact diagram for this model ?
Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't even paying attention to the original question. The fill plug is going to be on the drivers side, a couple inches forward of where the two transmission housings connect. Between the bell housing seam and just before the second seam. It is mid way up the side. The drain plug is on the passenger side close to the bottom. It's straight across from the fill hole.

Now listen to me here. It sounds like you haven't ever changed the transmission oil on this particular truck so this is important. Get you a 6 point socket to fit the fill hole and take it out FIRST. I hate the way these plugs are made. You can easily round one off and they do get stuck in there. If you pull your drain plug first and then bugger up your fill plug, you are going to be in the same position that I and many others have been in at one time or another and that's sitting there wondering what you're going to do with an empty transmission that you can't refill.

If all goes well, put your drain plug back in and fill it through your top hole. Most of us use 80W-90 GL5 gear oil but some use 75W-90 synthetic. I think you are supposed to fill it to about half an inch from the top hole. My carport has a little fall to it so when I fill gear oil components, I just park with my fill hole on the low end and then fill it til it runs out, let it drip til it's level with the hole and then reinstall the plug. Torque the plugs correctly. I normally do 30 ft/lbs. The top hole is kind of hard to pour oil in. What I do is pour oil from my gallon into a short Lucas quart bottle and then squeeze it into the hole a little at a time. Can take some time to fill so get comfortable.