86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

makin more progress... ass sag fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
makin more progress... ass sag fixed!

Some of you probably read my other thread about my current revival of a 91 4runner. Quick recap, readers digest version. Bought it for $800 at the end of may. (had it for almost 4 months now). Didn't run for crap, no compression cyl 6. so, step 1 was

It came with some 32x11.50 BFG All terrain TA's on it... Great tread, literally were almost new. These were the absolute WORST tires I've ever tried. I'll take my $100 Kumho AT's over those pieces of crap any day of the week.

So, After reworking the engine, getting it up to par. Redo'ing a LOT of electrical, new front brakes, and new rear brakes along with replacing the leaky axle seals, I finally fixed the tire issue (skipping over a few steps in the middle here). These tires are WAY better

Now, especially after moving up to 33" tires, i REALLY noticed the worn out suspension (granted I noticed it before, and started collecting stuff basically since the day I bought the truck). But now the almost 20 year old suspension started to scream in agony. I had a set of LC coils I got from a bit back, and a set of BJ spacers. I ordered my shocks from top gun customz (not recommended by the way) and got a set of procomp shocks. Those bastards took almost a month from the day they accepted my payment before I actually recieved my shocks. I noticed on the shipping label from UPS they came from "explorer competition" in california (procomp). If they had said they don't actually stock the stuff on their website, I would have just ordered it from summit and been done with it long ago. But finally got the LC coils on (which were a real mugga by the way...) the BJ spacers (which were SUPER easy) new shocks all around, and aligned the pig (which took me 2 trips up on the alignment rack to get it perfect). It rides like an absolute dream now (rough like a truck, but with swampers, you don't expect a cadillac ride to begin with) but I no longer fear the speed humps in my neighborhood that used to bottom out the rear suspension and let me bounce all the way up the street cause the shocks were completely blown out.

End result... I'm very happy with it ESPECIALLY compared to the picture directly above

Tomorrow I will be replacing one of my front axles (inside boot been destroyed ever since I bought the truck, makes lots of awful noises) wheel bearings on both front wheels, and adding a set of aisin free wheeling hubs to help save the new front axle (and the old one that still works) and just maybe pick up a little gas mileage since the front diff won't be turning 24/7 anymore, and maybe cure some of the "dragging" feeling that's been with the truck since day 1. I rebuilt the hubs last weekend, fresh grease, fresh paint and all. Lookin forward to finally getting them on
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Looks really good!!!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
looks pretty good!

how does that thread title make it pass the mods though
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was speaking of my donkey........