Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Made it to Vancouver, Wa.... BEWARE OF Uhaul DEATH TRAPS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made it to Vancouver, Wa.... BEWARE OF Uhaul DEATH TRAPS.

26 foot truck + double axle trailer + my 4runner on that trailer + lack of maintenance on the uhaul = death trap.

Truck constantly stalled out, steering would go. Nearly hit a semi face-first the first time it stalled out, on a nice twisty mountain pass in the middle of nowhere, in the rain. no cell phone reception, so I had to let it sit for a while and drive out. It stalled out nearly every hour, and each time it would have to sit for 30 minutes before being able to run again.

Ended up driving the remaining 500 or so miles at 15/25mph. What a nightmare, when unloading the truck, found a hole in the roof that they patched with duct tape... so everything inside got soaked, as it was raining nearly the entire move.

I told U haul about it, they sent out 2 tow trucks to pick up the truck and trailer...

The truck was bone dry when I got it... had to get gas just to make it home (about 8 miles), when I saw the sheet... it said it had half a tank of gas.

When I complained about the lack of maintenance on the truck, they offered me a 40 dollar coupon. Made me snap. I spent days calling a bunch of different numbers, being sent to different people. Jerome Hendrickson at 760-245-0196 from the Victorville, CA location tried to offer me a 20% refund.

Its been a week of 3 or 4 phone calls per day, and nothing... I spoke with a guy named Clint Orcutt at 1-800-824-6211, and hes telling me that I need to go through their insurance company, and in a few months I might see a 50% refund on the truck.

I spoke with the corp office at 1-800-789-3638.

Jerome told me that the person that 'inspected' the truck before I got it, was fired before I even contacted anyone about my truck, because of similiar customer complaints.

So if you get bored, please feel free to talk to them on the phone... as often as you want.

Last edited by mnmontana; 02-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
crappy deal!

The most uhaul ever screwed me was not giving me the truck I wanted.....they always had the bigger more gas guzzling rig available for my cross country moves.

I just moved out of Vancouver 10 months ago for lack of work.

I'll hassle em a bit for you after I finish this bottle of whiskey
Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
20/20 or 60 minutes did a show on U-Hual a few years ago. Scary stuff, inside tire on the duals all fubar, bad maintanance etc etc etc. WHen I moved to New York a few years ago they did not want me to inspect the truck. I ended up with one that had 1200 miles on the odometer..it worked out pretty good crosscountry.
It must have sucked driving that thing across the pass between Oregon and Cali...

Oh and welcome to the PNW...wet wheeling, but worth it..
Old 02-22-2009, 12:41 PM

The problem with U-Haul is the individual rental shops wanna keep the "good" trucks local and send the junkpiles cross-country. That way they can avoid the maintenance on the junkers.

The ones that don't do this are suckered into fixing the entire nationwide fleet as they end up with the junkers from everyone else.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM

My parents went thru an almost exact situation with U-Haul 4 years ago, when they moved from Sylmar to Cougar Wa. And they were towing/trailering an Exploder. Took my step-mom almost 10 months of calling, like you, 3-5 times a day, befoe they saw any kind of refund money. Not only did my dad and my uncle have to deal with the constant stalling, but also having to dump 2-3 quarts of oil at every gas stop. I will not deal with U-Haul ever in my life, after thier ordeal.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Man that is horrible!! I was very lucky on my cross country move from VA to WA, but I used a Penske truck and tow dolly. It was a brand new truck and worked great. The tow dolly on the other hand...
Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM

I worked at Uhaul for a very short time, When I first started the store manager told the new hires that it's not unusual for a truck to come in overheating with the belts completely gone or even much worse. We were told that if a customer were ever to ask us about it that we should act stupid, not answer any questions & direct them to the store manager. U haul has gotten very sloppy lately.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
http://central-northern-western-ariz...126&firm=13114

The BBB? Lots of complaints, all resolved. It doesn't say how they were resolved but if you're getting nowhere maybe it's worth a try?
Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is exactly why, when asked, I recommend Penske or Budget.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

uhaul issues

around here uhauls are the first trucks they pull off the road when the police/ministry are doing inspection blitzes and they always fail... a few years ago it was so bad that uhaul moved nearly every new vehicle in the NA fleet here just to deal with it...
oh! and guess who pays for the tickets/tow/storage fees when this happens [you guessed it... the driver aka renter]... you can usually win if you fight the ticket but who has time to come back a year or more later?...
Old 02-22-2009, 03:37 PM

i used them once doing a move, They called and said the truck was ready to be picked up.Got the truck spent all day loading it. They called back around 5:30 p.m and said they gave me the wrong truck,and I would have to bring it back,that the one I had, was for another customer. I told them come unload it, and reload the truck they were going to swap it with. They said they would not do it,that I must return the truck right away.
Heck with that. Finished packing and when on my way.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Uhaul is one of the worst companies in the world, second only to Citibank. I have tried doing business with them 3 times and on the third time I told them to shove there trailer where the sun don't shine. Be thankful you even made it there. Make sure you check your bill and also look at your credit card statement for a while after. They WILL get you.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM

Going to add...
... if you're using one of their trailers- they buy their trailers with the axles at the mid-point of the load, not exactly the best place for the axles to be when you consider dumb-arse people like us ...
... if it's a vehicle trailer with hydraulic brakes, you should be fine...
... if you're using one of their box trailers... ignore their instructions: load the trailer tongue heavy- you want 75% of the weight of the trailer on the tongue of the trailer.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM

Maybe get your money's worth next time lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCRpvvqIC0o&feature=related[/youtube]

Disclaimer: JOKING, don't be an idiot anyone.

Last edited by Matt16; 02-22-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:06 PM

Watch this video, specifically the last minute, they give the cell phone number!! of the UHaul CEO: 602-390-6525. Have fun!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYhofTqsxrg&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 02-23-2009, 03:10 AM

I moved this summer from Whitehorse Yukon, to Halifax Nova scotia, total of about 9600 kilometers. u-haul wanted about 8500 for a 14 foot cube and a tow dolly, plus fuel, and i had to get there in 10 days and not exceed 8000 kilometers, or i'd pay $100 a day penalty and $1.50 per kilometer penalty. the trek also ended up taking us 17 days, we were taking it easy, also pulling a travel trailer

I bought my own cube van from a contractor for 3800 bucks. I ended up putting about 2000 in to it to make it road worthy, still coming in under uhells' rental fee. after burning about 2500 in ga$, we still were cheaper than u-pay, and now i have a cube van i can sell and re-coup some of those expenses.

we would have used national or budget, but they wouldn't do a one way move that far.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Well I just called the CEO at that number... He seems helpfull and friendly.... I told him everything that happened, and it sounds like hes honestly going to look into it... so lets hope he does something.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GobBluth
I moved this summer from Whitehorse Yukon, to Halifax Nova scotia, total of about 9600 kilometers. u-haul wanted about 8500 for a 14 foot cube and a tow dolly, plus fuel, and i had to get there in 10 days and not exceed 8000 kilometers, or i'd pay $100 a day penalty and $1.50 per kilometer penalty. the trek also ended up taking us 17 days, we were taking it easy, also pulling a travel trailer

I bought my own cube van from a contractor for 3800 bucks. I ended up putting about 2000 in to it to make it road worthy, still coming in under uhells' rental fee. after burning about 2500 in ga$, we still were cheaper than u-pay, and now i have a cube van i can sell and re-coup some of those expenses.

we would have used national or budget, but they wouldn't do a one way move that far.
A 9600 km move and you can't exceed 8000 kms? what did they want you to do? stop in Montreal and rent a new truck? LOL
Good deal on the buy and sell plan...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:05 PM

Too bad about your troubles with U-Haul, but welcome to Vancouver. Keep your truck locked up tight and invest in a few anti-theft devices.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
A 9600 km move and you can't exceed 8000 kms? what did they want you to do? stop in Montreal and rent a new truck? LOL
Good deal on the buy and sell plan...
yeah i know, i'm on the phone getting this quote, and she tells me i can't exceed 8000 kilometers, where google maps is saying it's 8400??? we ended up going through northern ontario instead, so we put on a few more clicks and a few more days. we also went through northern quebec, skipping montreal. Plus, we stopped here and there, i mean how often do you get a chance to drive across the entire country??

Quick Reply: Made it to Vancouver, Wa.... BEWARE OF Uhaul DEATH TRAPS.