Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Made a couple improvements to the truck (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Made a couple improvements to the truck (pics)

I'm gunna be getting dual cases probably next summer so I'll need the room, and I've always wanted bucket seats so I threw some bucket seats out of a 93 Mazda MX-6 in my truck. These were not a very easy swap I had to make all new mounts, but I managed and it was a fun (although frustrating) project to do while teaching myself how to Got a great deal on the seats to $50 for the pair and the slide forward backward and recline

I also modified my Trail Gear dual case crossmember that was sittin in my garage to work with one case. This gave me about 2.5" clearance over the stock crossmember while providing a better surface to slide over rocks on (no more high centering...well as easily ) all I had to do was cut out a notch from the edge of the x-member and grind down another little spot to prevent rubbing.

And before anyone says that TG's website says to not modify it or it decreases it's integrety, that's just a legal thing. I talked to a couple guys on Pirate who have done the same thing and they haven't had any problems. This thing is beef to begin with!

Old 07-06-2009, 12:35 PM

You lucky Suckka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to put duals in mine, but alas i have the stupid v6 so i get to spend a but load more money than you... :down:
Old 07-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im jealous lol. Looks like your gonna have a SWEET set up, dual cases and an e locker.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
You lucky Suckka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to put duals in mine, but alas i have the stupid v6 so i get to spend a but load more money than you... :down:
Yeah that sucks, but you only have to buy the v6 adapter plate right? I can't afford them this summer, but next summer I wanna get a 2 x 2.28 set up from Marlin.

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
Im jealous lol. Looks like your gonna have a SWEET set up, dual cases and an e locker.
Thanks! It's been a long work in progress
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Yeah that sucks, but you only have to buy the v6 adapter plate right? I can't afford them this summer, but next summer I wanna get a 2 x 2.28 set up from Marlin.
I will have to buy a v6 adapter plate, two top shift cases, the dual adapter, 4.7 gears, crossmember, and drivelines again.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:17 PM

I will have to buy a v6 adapter plate, two top shift cases, the dual adapter, 4.7 gears, crossmember, and drivelines again.
Ooooooh gotcha, I haven't decided if I want to spend the extra money on the 4.7's yet, I have a while so I may down the road when I get them (I might as well do it right the first time...) If you build them yourself youd probably be payin the same as me, I'm just gunna buy a set put together from either Marlin or Inchworm. I don't know if I wanna deal with settin them up myself as I've never done anything like that before...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:19 PM

Nice job on making it work for you. I would like to point out one thing though, you might want to get a low profile drain plug. That would suck to shave it off while you are wheelin.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by RaginYota
Nice job on making it work for you. I would like to point out one thing though, you might want to get a low profile drain plug. That would suck to shave it off while you are wheelin.
Thanks! Good idea! I got two when I ordered my TG large diff armor and I'll swap out the fill plug one for the original and use the low profile one on the t case, I need to change my fluid anyway probably They are the same size/pitch right?
Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Hey Raginyota, check out the trip plannin section, you wanna wheel this weekend? I'm tryin to get some guys together to go up Eagle Lakes and Fordyce to the first creek crossing.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
Ooooooh gotcha, I haven't decided if I want to spend the extra money on the 4.7's yet, I have a while so I may down the road when I get them (I might as well do it right the first time...) If you build them yourself youd probably be payin the same as me, I'm just gunna buy a set put together from either Marlin or Inchworm. I don't know if I wanna deal with settin them up myself as I've never done anything like that before...
The 4.7"s will give you triple low if you have the stock front case.

ITs just more gearing options, you will be thankfull, if not though i still think you would like the stock dual cases. Plus you can always ad 4.7's later..

My next thing i might do a single 4.7 geared case in mine just for the lower gearing.. idk yet.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM

The 4.7"s will give you triple low if you have the stock front case.

ITs just more gearing options, you will be thankfull, if not though i still think you would like the stock dual cases. Plus you can always ad 4.7's later..

My next thing i might do a single 4.7 geared case in mine just for the lower gearing.. idk yet.
Yeah, but idk if my front end is ready to handle the torque from a dual ultimate yet (still sittin on IFS) I'd go to a single case with 4.7's, but dual 2.28's is roughly 5.2:1 for an overal crawl of about 100:1 whereas a single 4.7 would be 90:1 for me so it's a little lower and I have more gear options with the 2.28, plus I already have the dual case x-member and all I'd have to do after that is modify the drivelines and I'd make my own front driveshaft and the rear would probably be about $100? I've never priced a driveshaft...
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM

Looking at 80-100 bucks

you will most likely want a cv on the rear shaft..
Old 07-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Looking at 80-100 bucks

you will most likely want a cv on the rear shaft..
What do you mean a CV on the rear shaft? I don't know anything about driveshafts lol wouldn't that be weaker than the stock U joint?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 PM

I don't know if it has anythign to do with weaker. I cannot say what you will need for certain for two reasons, i don't know a lot about driveshafts, and i don't know the specs on your truck, but if the truck is driven on the road when you go duals you decrease the distance between the transfercase and the rear axle which makes it a steeper angle, so you want a cv to get rid of any vibrations. When you get a driveshaft made the person will explain it to you.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM

The seats really go well with the truck.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM

I don't know if it has anythign to do with weaker. I cannot say what you will need for certain for two reasons, i don't know a lot about driveshafts, and i don't know the specs on your truck, but if the truck is driven on the road when you go duals you decrease the distance between the transfercase and the rear axle which makes it a steeper angle, so you want a cv to get rid of any vibrations. When you get a driveshaft made the person will explain it to you.
Ok gotcha! I see what you mean now that makes sense!

Originally Posted by KVRunner
The seats really go well with the truck.
Thanks! I spent a couple hours looking through the local Pick N' Pull lookin for the right seats
Old 07-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
He's talking about a different kind of CV joint- not about an IFS front CV.

This is the CV joint he's talking about, also known as a double cardan joint- there's one on the T-case side of your front driveshaft.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
He's talking about a different kind of CV joint- not about an IFS front CV.

This is the CV joint he's talking about, also known as a double cardan joint- there's one on the T-case side of your front driveshaft.

Ok for some reason I thought that a cv driveshaft was like they have on the Jeeps and there was somethin funky goin on under that boot thing....

Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 AM

i love your truck.

x10 with the elocker now.
^
im jealous
Old 07-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 87AzRunner
i love your truck.

x10 with the elocker now.
^
im jealous
Thanks! It's been a long work in progress

Quick Reply: Made a couple improvements to the truck (pics)