86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lurch/jerk/vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lurch/jerk/vibrations

Folks, I'm looking at something going on with my power train, I think. So for a while, I've had a vibration noise at 30, a full on car shake at 60 (only at 60, decreases before/after at higher/lower speeds), and an a vibration effect at 75. I think its towards the back because the Rear Defrost lines are 'blurred' with the windshield from vibration (shake your hand back and forth in front of your face). U joints were replaced about 11k ago, but they were Duralast (in a bind, had to get something). Can't say if this problem was occurring before or after, because the front end was so worn out the car always shook a bit on the highway.

Something that might be related, if I'm driving and I take my foot off the gas too quick the car bucks like there is a delay in the driveshaft. This especially sucks with cruise control, as you set it, and you adjust, it stops accelerating and then rapidly starts again, causing a nice buck.

Driveshaft? Rear? Tranny?

4x4 manual, 3vze like in the sig
Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 128keaton
Driveshaft? Rear? Tranny?

4x4 manual, 3vze like in the sig
I can't say what it IS, but add tire(s) problem(s) to the list of possibilities.

No sig line BTW.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Pick an end and check it out.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I can't say what it IS, but add tire(s) problem(s) to the list of possibilities.

No sig line BTW.
Will do! I wouldn't be surprised if the monkeys at Firestone did something.

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Pick an end and check it out.
Thats the weekend plan!

what would I look for on tranny problems? I'm gonna drop the driveshaft and see if the sloppy feeling persists with just the front wheels

Last edited by 128keaton; 02-23-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 PM

Check for excessive play at flanges. Any binding when turning shaft. T-case is gonna limit checking tranny. not much more I can think of at moment with out cracking things open. Can change oil, watch for any debris in oil or magnetic drain plug. Well excessive debris. Both tranny and t-case.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Check for excessive play at flanges. Any binding when turning shaft. T-case is gonna limit checking tranny. not much more I can think of at moment with out cracking things open. Can change oil, watch for any debris in oil or magnetic drain plug. Well excessive debris. Both tranny and t-case.
This might be stupid..oil in tranny and t-case? Err.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:12 PM

This might be stupid..oil in tranny and t-case? Err.
ooooh... so time to dig into some basics. Yes, gear oil, for tranny do not replace it with any other oils that are NOT "yellow metal safe" I only know of three and couldn't find any at local autozoe or advance. Easiest to use same in tcase but not necessarily unless forward shift but don't think you have one. Think the FAQs link at top of model section should have some basic maintenance.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 PM

ooooh... so time to dig into some basics. Yes, gear oil, for tranny do not replace it with any other oils that are NOT "yellow metal safe" I only know of three and couldn't find any at local autozoe or advance. Easiest to use same in tcase but not necessarily unless forward shift but don't think you have one. Think the FAQs link at top of model section should have some basic maintenance.
no idea how i could do an engine overhaul and not know this!! Thanks! I work all day as a programmer and computer technician but some cars stuff sounds like how I must talk like to other people!

would the fsm have this procedure?

i didn't see any info about this in the FAQ

Last edited by 128keaton; 02-23-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 PM

no idea how i could do an engine overhaul and not know this!! Thanks! I work all day as a programmer and computer technician but some cars stuff sounds like how I must talk like to other people!

would the fsm have this procedure?

i didn't see any info about this in the FAQ
Humbling experience. FSM will definitely be helpful. I'm a flight paramedic and nurse. Gotta love the age of information!!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would put the rear axle on jack stands and see if you can find any issues by running thru the gears. It may at least remove the front end out of the equation. A good front end shop should be able to tell you if your steering has any problems.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 PM

Humbling experience. FSM will definitely be helpful. I'm a flight paramedic and nurse. Gotta love the age of information!!
Replaced the steering stabilizer today helped with some small shakes and my car feels nice going over bumps, rear shocks are next!

Going to take it to a tire shop tomorrow and get them to fix the nail in the tire, plus have them rotated, aligned, and balanced.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM

Looked at the drive shaft today and I can move it back and forth, but the rotation point isn't at the u-joints, but at the T-case and the diff. Normal?