Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Low oil pressure, hot engine I Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Low oil pressure, hot engine I Need Help!

Hi

I have a 94 4runner V6 3.0

Im stuck right now the problem im trying to fix is an overheated engine/radiator which i think causes my oil pressure to drop

Ive gotten the following replaced
My Oil Pump
Had A Gasket replaced with a new radiator
Put in a new thermostat
Replaced 4 of 6 spark plugs (2 i couldn't get too)
Distributor cap and rotor

This all started to happen on a 12 hour trip from new york the car tends to overheat after 10 minutes of driving - I think it is overheating the radiator feels super hot but my temp gauge i think is bad and it reads normal
oil pressure is fine while driving but drops big while idling
also while idling car shakes like its gulping for live every couple minutes

I checked my water pump pulley and it won't budge

what should i try next

Feel free to email me at simpsons721@yahoo.com
Thanks to anyone who helps -Matt
Old 03-16-2008, 05:11 PM

also my car is 2wd
Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's easier for people to post replies on here than e-mail you directly, but I guess it never hurts to put it.

What makes you think your truck is overheating if the gauge is reading normal? IF the gauge works, which it does if it reads normal, then I wouldn't necessarily think you're overheating. Also, it's normal for oil pressure to drop when you idling. If it's dropping to zero, then you probably have a connection problem with the sending unit. If your oil pressure was down or not present, you'd know it very quickly.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
water pump pulley wont budge??? Did you take off the timing covers to get to the water pump to check it? I think you are referring to the rad fan bracket that the belts ride on. Those bearings go out all the time. If that bearing is seized then the eng fan wouldnt turn resulting in overheating. Also if it really is your waterpump that wont move...that should be self explanatory. What psi reading are you getting for you oil press? Did you put a manual gauge on it to check?

Last edited by toytech76; 03-16-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:39 AM

thanks for the replies
first off i think my car is overheating because my radiator feels really hot after 10 minutes on the road and when it idles during that time my car will shake every 20 seconds also where is the sending unit on my car
i didnt take off any covers to check the water pump i have just heard that if the outside pully with the belt on will budge the water pump is broken im a noob when it comes to this that is why i appreciate your help
i also didnt check my pressure with an oil gauge im trying to keep my cost down do you guys know a cheap place to get one. thanks for everyones help so far
also do you have to pull the engine to check the water pump
Old 03-17-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hows the coolant in the rad? Should be right up to the top.
My truck also idles with zero oil pressure, and if your heat guage is in the middle it is working properly.
Are you sure your idle is set properly?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by simpsons721
thanks for the replies
first off i think my car is overheating because my radiator feels really hot after 10 minutes on the road and when it idles during that time my car will shake every 20 seconds also where is the sending unit on my car
i didnt take off any covers to check the water pump i have just heard that if the outside pully with the belt on will budge the water pump is broken im a noob when it comes to this that is why i appreciate your help
i also didnt check my pressure with an oil gauge im trying to keep my cost down do you guys know a cheap place to get one. thanks for everyones help so far
also do you have to pull the engine to check the water pump

Radiators get really hot when you operate the engine. To your unprotected hand, it will feel really really hot even if it is operating normally. In your case, you should trust the gauge and not your hands. If it is belching steam and coolant out the overflow, it's probably overheating.

You can't just reach in and grab your water pump. What your friends are telling you about play in the WP shaft is true, but really doesn't apply in a practical sense to your rig. Typically, a bad water pump is witnessed by a coolant leak coming from the very front of the engine.

Harbor Freight Tools carries a universal oil pressure testing kit for around $10.

Last edited by zlathim; 03-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 AM

coolant is right to the top
also how do i know my idle is set properly also how should my idle be set properly (what do you mean by idle)

my car definetely belches when idle and has been driving for a long time

and for the water pump if it is broke do i need to pull the whole engine to install a new one (basically how hard is it to install a new water pump)

thanks again to everyone
Old 03-17-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The water pump replacement is a fairly involved job. You will not be required to remove the engine, but you will need to disassemble a bunch of stuff to get down to the WP. Plan on installing a new timing belt at the same time, as you will need to remove it in order to pull the WP.

Hopefully someone can post a link to the manual so you can read up before taking on this job.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by simpsons721
coolant is right to the top
also how do i know my idle is set properly also how should my idle be set properly (what do you mean by idle)

my car definetely belches when idle and has been driving for a long time
By idle I mean when it's running in neutral.

I had similar issues with the chugging at idle before I found my idle screw.

If it is 4WD the idle should be about 950 when it is all warned up, and I think 750 for 2WD...correct me if I am wrong

The idle adjust screw is on the EFI...I cant find a pic, but it is not that hard to find, it is a flat head just kinda off by itself. There is a link for a manual for your runner stickied at the top of the threads, that will tell you where the idle adjust is and how to get to the water pump.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:41 PM

Just thought I'd throw this out there....I've read in many other postings regarding engine cooling that the engines can develop an air lock which stops coolant from cycling through the engine. Maybe try squeezing the upper rad hose while the engine is running, this can 'burp' the collant and force the air bubble out.....
just a suggestion
Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM

thanks again for the help
my car idles at 7500 rpms while in drive
when i find the idle screw how should i adjust it (what am i trying to achieve by adjusting it) my car is 2wd
i will also try to burp my engine
if there is any type of radiator leak does that mean my water pump is bad
Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 AM

i still need help anyone please i might even hook up a brand new ps2 game or used ones
Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 AM

If your car is idling at 7500RPM I would shut 'er down in a hurry.

Here is a link to the manual for the water pump.

If the coolant leak is near the front of the engine and internal (not a hose) than you my have a bad WP.

Sounds like you have no problems so far though.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/engine/109waterpum.pdf

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/engine.html

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/index.html
Old 03-19-2008, 09:46 AM

Dont mess with the idle screw, not truely and idle screw, its more of a mixture screw and youll have more problems. The idle control valve is what controls your idle. But make sure that the intake is clean around the butterfly. Very common for those to be dirty and make it not idle properly. Use a toothbrush and some intake cleaner to clean it. If you use a steel brush it will scratch it