Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Looking to rejoin 4runner society...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to rejoin 4runner society...

Hey guys, always love this forum! So much great information. I am tentaively looking at re-entering Toy 4x4's after selling 98 T4r. I have located an 88 'Runner with 128k, 3.0, 5spd, RUST FREE california truck (no rust truck in Iowa!? Nice!) Lots of features, one owner, clean, everything works... 'Cept of course the engine. As such I have a few questions. The owner and his mechanic believe the timing belt has jumped. Engine has good spark and plenty of fuel but it won't start. However the truck has been sitting for a year and was reportedly running great when it when into storage. How would the timing belt jump in storage? Also, I was under the impression that the 3.0 is a non-interference engine and as such if the timing belt jumped, esspecially if the truck was sitting in storage or while they were attempting to get it running, the valves should be okie dokie. Is this correct? I get tired of every guy who thinks he knows cars telling me "oh it's junk, the timing belt had to have bent the valves, those toyota motors are junk." Secondly, I've been doing my due research on changing the water pump and timing belt and that leads to 2 more questions, 1. Is it necessary to use gasket maker AND a gasket when re-installing the water pump? And 2. What is a simple way to determine which water pump I have? (Outlet or no) and finally 3. Is it true that a 1st gen will immediately make me look cooler, lose weight, and run faster? Cuz these things are sweet! Sorry for the long-winded post but I'm just trying to figure out what kind of project I'm getting myself into, as well as how much I resally want to pay for the truck initially. Thanks for your patience and sage-like wise advice :-)
Old 02-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/ you can download a manual here and check your parts aand whatever, i dont think you will find many 3.0 fans here......or anywhere. how ever, you certainly will be coooler look slimmer and they come with free super models to ride with you, the bad news, thier backordered right now. when i buy a suspect eng vehicle, i price it in my head as if its going to have to be replaced, if ya dont ya got a deal, if ya do, you wont get hurt. theres plenty of good deals out there