Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lockers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lockers!

ok now im about to buy some lockers for my 90 toyota p/u 4cyl and i am just wondering which one i should choose. now ive always looked at detroit locker for bout 500 bucks but i also seen two other brands for cheaper. lock right locker is bout 300 bucks and spool locker is 200. and the lock right says its a do it yourself type lockers and all that good stuff. im just wondering about quality like if these two other brands are right there with detroit cause im not doing competition crawling or anything. thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
AUSSIE FTW !!!
Just ordered mine a few days ago...

Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM

Look at the Aussie. Look up Matt16, and read his write up/review on the Aussie. I think it's a lil cheaper than the Lockright, and just as good, if not a lil better. It's also a DIY install, as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Detroit.

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
Look at the Aussie. Look up Matt16, and read his write up/review on the Aussie. I think it's a lil cheaper than the Lockright, and just as good, if not a lil better. It's also a DIY install, as well.
I was talking to scuba about this earlier, but you just made up my mind for me. If an Aussie is just as good as a Lockrite...Lockrite's are crap. Buddy went through 3 in 5 trips.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-22-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM

3 in 5 trips? he's def doin something wrong, mines been through countless trips and i bought it used
Old 12-22-2008, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stagger_lee
Detroit.

I was talking to scuba about this earlier, but you just made up my mind for me. If an Aussie is just as good as a Lockrite...Lockrite's are crap. Buddy went through 3 in 5 trips.
Are you saying someone actually broke an Aussie locker? That would be the first I've ever heard in many hours of internet "research". It sounds like your buddy didn't do the install properly, or perhaps he snapped an axle shaft- that releases enough force inside the diff to destroy the locker, R&P, etc. Aussie Locker have always replaced lockers that break, even those that break due to faulty install.

I see someone has already pimped my writeup, but I'll say it once again. I have found my Aussie to be most satisfactory on my daily driver, I can't personally say anything on locker strength, as my drivetrain is stock, aand I have 31" tires. The link to the writeup is in my signature below.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:34 PM

oh no. I have not read about any issues with the Aussie, buddy broke 3 lockrites. Like I said 2 diferent shops installed 2 different ones, and he installed the 3rd. Maybe my boys just drive like a-holes, but I want something stout that can handle and A-hole driver. Runnerfreak compared the aussie to the lockrite, which freaked me out. I cant justify spending 500-700 on an ARB or a detroit right now, so i was on the fence about the Aussie. Runnerfreak scared me with that comment.

I await Scubas review. I have seen him drive on some videos. lol

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-22-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh no. I have not read about any issues with the Aussie, buddy broke 3 lockrites. Like I said 2 diferent shops installed 2 different ones, and he installed the 3rd. Maybe my boys just drive like a-holes, but I want something stout that can handle and A-hole driver. Runnerfreak compared the aussie to the lockrite, which freaked me out. I cant justify spending 500-700 on an ARB or a detroit right now, so i was on the fence about the Aussie. Runnerfreak scared me with that comment.

I await Scubas review. I have seen him drive on some videos. lol
Oh, I see. The locker is quite a bit stronger than your rear axle shafts from what I understand. How many rear axle shafts have you broken?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM

I like the lockright i have. Haven't had a problem with it. I broke one pin, but it was at the same time i had a broken axleshaft that was driven on. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

The lockright was wort every penny in my opinon.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 PM

904, is your rear end built? My buddy had put a full Longfield set up in there, I wonder if that combined with a lead foot is grenading the lockrights.

Originally Posted by Matt16
Oh, I see. The locker is quite a bit stronger than your rear axle shafts from what I understand. How many rear axle shafts have you broken?
I have always ran detroits. Every other rig I had, had built rear ends 30+ splines and chromoly axles. This time around, I am more on a budget, but I will wait for the goods if I am not sure about something. I have not driven the runner hard enough yet, and wont until I do get rear built and new motor in. To answer your questions no broken axles yet. I am a bit more conservative then those I drive with, but I like peace of mind too, you know. I mean know disrespect to anyone here, much respect to all, just concerned.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-22-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Arb....
Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM

^^T-bag ^^ did you miss this part? I wish. ARBs are the lux.
This time around, I am more on a budget

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-22-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM

904, is your rear end built? My buddy had put a full Longfield set up in there, I wonder if that combined with a lead foot is grenading the lockrights.

My rear axle has stock shafts. Just got some 5.29's put in there. (THANKS ZUK )
Its holding up for me. I do like the lockright, I don't have any complaints for the lunchbox lockers. Im trying to get one for the front end on mine. In reality, i would love an ARB or elocker, but those were out of the question for me.

Last edited by 904_runner; 12-22-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Out of the budget question you mean, like me? lol
Old 12-22-2008, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Lockright and have had no troubles with it at all, and I have no problems recommending it to anyone. If properly setup and installed it should be pretty troublefree.

That said, Lockright<Aussie<<<Detroit. If you have the cash go with the full Detroit. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM

^^ do you guys think having stronger axles and more splines/heavy foot, has anything to do with the lockrights not holding up? I will go out on a limb and say they were installed correctly due to the fact that 2 reputable shops did 2 installs of 2 different units.

Originally Posted by LilPyke
ok now im about to buy some lockers for my 90 toyota p/u 4cyl and i am just wondering which one i should choose. now ive always looked at detroit locker for bout 500 bucks but i also seen two other brands for cheaper. lock right locker is bout 300 bucks and spool locker is 200. and the lock right says its a do it yourself type lockers and all that good stuff. im just wondering about quality like if these two other brands are right there with detroit cause im not doing competition crawling or anything. thanks
We always get off on these tangents so I wanted to make sure OP had ample info. Matts write up was full of good info on the Aussie. He sold me on it till I talked to some of the more hardcore wheelers in my group. I suspect there might be a bit of an ego issue on their part as well, trying to sway me away from the Aussie. I'm still on the fence.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...review-143163/

Last edited by stagger_lee; 12-22-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ do you guys think having stronger axles and more splines/heavy foot, has anything to do with the lockrights not holding up? I will go out on a limb and say they were installed correctly due to the fact that 2 reputable shops did 2 installs of 2 different units.
I can't speak for the people above me, but what I am suggesting is that"If properly setup and installed it should be pretty troublefree. " Which is pretty much exactly what I said above.

What I would say to you, is that if you're breaking 3 Lockrights in 5 trips, you're at a stage of the game where you're going to break just about anything you put in there. Don't expect a scooter to be competitive in MotoGP if you know what I mean. It's time for you to break out the checkbook for parts and driving lessons.

But after all, that's just MHO...
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Its not him thats breaking the lockrites, its his buddy, and if it was me, all those broken lockrights would be enough to steer me away from one...

Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks Scuba. Let me reiterate that these guys know what they are doing, hence putting in stronger axles knowing he has a heavy foot and he's a maniac driver. This is a daily driver though and didn't want a full detroit. Sounds to me like inferior product if it cant keep up, not driver error. Is it wrong to want a heavy duty LSD, lunchbox?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

sounds like hes too heavy on the gas imo. If hes having things breaking constantly i would think maybe super big tires and that being the weakest link of his rear axle since other parts are beefed up.

Just my guess. I for one love the lockright. If it breaks i might be tempted to go with a full detroit. Most likeley though i would replace it with another lockright.

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Lockers!