Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Locker problem help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locker problem help!

well ii bought this locker Detriot ez locker for my v6 4runner and i end up only with just the gear in the middle but how come the 4 cyl haves both the middle gear along with side gears and i have to used my stock spider gear? also when i replace the spider gears with the ez locker in and puts everything back together im having a problem from the rear axle in insde my diff... so im pretty sure that its the locker that keeps slipping and when it does that it moves my car from side to sides when it slips.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
huh?
have any pics to help?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 AM

Punctuation is your friend. Took me 5 minutes to decipher what you were saying.

v6 lockrite instructions
http://www.gearinstalls.com/aaron.htm
http://www.gearinstalls.com/joshking.htm

Last edited by Matt16; 11-21-2008 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Punctuation is your friend. Took me 5 minutes to decipher what you were saying.

v6 lockrite instructions
http://www.gearinstalls.com/aaron.htm
http://www.gearinstalls.com/joshking.htm

OK for the v6 yota the ez locker doesnt come with the side gear...i have to used my stock spider side gears...thats wat i was told and wat the book says...but the 4cyl yota ez locker comes with the side gear like in ur pic...So like i was saying after i put the locker and my stock spider side gear in the housing...and when i took it for a test drive for about 5-10 mph and all of a sudden its has a big "click" sound comin from my locker in the axle and it sounds like the side gear keeps slipping and when it slips my car moves. i try to redo it the secind times now and it still does this so i don't have a clue anymore.. hope u guys will understand me this time...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 90_4runner
OK for the v6 yota the ez locker doesnt come with the side gear...i have to used my stock spider side gears...thats wat i was told and wat the book says...but the 4cyl yota ez locker comes with the side gear like in ur pic...So like i was saying after i put the locker and my stock spider side gear in the housing...and when i took it for a test drive for about 5-10 miles per hour and all of a sudden its has a big "click" sound comin from my locker in the axle and it sounds like the side gear keeps slipping and when it slips my car moves. i try to redo it the secind times now and it still does this so i don't have a clue anymore.. hope u guys will understand me this time...

That picture is of a V6 third member AFAIK. In that picture what "side gear" are you talking about? Are you talking about the "side gear" that has all the yellow on it in that picture? The big round one?

If you're putting a locker in a diff then you shouldnt use ANY of the spider gears.

Can you take a picture of the things you are talking about on your rig/in your diff?

Last edited by Junkers88; 11-21-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:12 AM

The "side gear" is the splined gear that the axle goes into. I am 99% sure that is what is in the picture.

Did you install the spacers correctly? If I were you, I'd re-read the instructions and take careful note of the intended assembly.

Have you ever driven a vehicle with an auto locker before? There are some quirks.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"OK for the v6 yota the ez locker doesnt come with the side gear..."
True they do not. I personally do not like this because the locker is made of a different metal than the carrier side gears.

"i have to used my stock spider side gears..."
Yes, because you have the v6 carrier

"thats wat i was told and wat the book says...but the 4cyl yota ez locker comes with the side gear like in ur pic..."
Yes, the 4 cyl does come with new carrier side gears, they were just designed that way. They have special teeth on them that line up with the drive gears of the locker. The v6 locker is just a completely different design than the 4cyl locker. IN the pic, it is a v6 case, what you see is the stock carrier side gear, and the thrust washer??(the thin metal ring with the holes in it) They are just laying on the drive gears of the locker.

"So like i was saying after i put the locker and my stock spider side gear in the housing..."
The "spider side gear" is what I reffered to above as the carrier side gears, these are the gears that the axle slides into.

"and when i took it for a test drive for about 5-10 miles per hour and all of a sudden its has a big "click" sound comin from my locker in the axle and it sounds like the side gear keeps slipping and when it slips my car moves. i try to redo it the secind times now and it still does this so i don't have a clue anymore.. hope u guys will understand me this time..."

When you took it apart, did you take out the old carrier side gears? If you did, did you take the thrust washers off of them? If you did the clearances will be off enough for it to be loose. So it will drive straight down the road, but it will make a clicking noise. It definantly seems like something is off. Could it be something to do with the springs in the locker? I would have to read the instructions for that particular locker to tell if everything was installed right. What do you mean when you say your car moves?
Old 11-21-2008, 12:02 PM

Yep. No side gears. Re-use the old ones.

I know that slip-bang-sway thing you describe as "the car moves." It usually only happens about 1/month unless you run different size tires left/right or have a flat tire. Then it happens a lot.

Take the diff out again. This time MEASURE the spaces where the directions tell you to measure. If the gap is too big because you left out, or have worn out the thrust washers behind the side gears, the locker won't work right for sure! You might have to buy new side gear thrust washers from the dealer if you have yours in there and there is still too much of a gap. It happens.

Last edited by leiniesred; 11-21-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by leiniesred

I know that slip-bang-sway thing you describe as "the car moves." It usually only happens about 1/month unless you run different size tires left/right or have a flat tire. Then it happens a lot.

Take the diff out again. This time MEASURE the spaces where the directions tell you to measure. If the gap is too big because you left out, or have worn out the thrust washers behind the side gears, the locker won't work right for sure! You might have to buy new side gear thrust washers from the dealer if you have yours in there and there is still too much of a gap. It happens.
Yep, good thinking

Check the air pressure in the tires. If there is a difference, it can definantly make it try to unlock-lock more often than you want, especially when it is new.

The thrust washers were my main concern.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Ok, they discontinued the EZ locker. I bought one on clearance and had it for about a week and it turned out to have manufacturing defects. The on of the pins lodged in the holes and wouldn't move basically turning it into a spool. Except when i was underload and going straight. it would pop and steer the truck into the curb or on coming traffic. Took it on the freeway and almost killed myself. Don't know what is going with yours, but it sounds kinda like mine did. does it grind the tires going around corners?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:11 PM

red97 I'm glad you cleared that up, I was pretty darn confused and my lack of knowledge about the EZ really showed there. 90_4runner sorry about my misguided post.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 PM

The "side gear" is the splined gear that the axle goes into. I am 99% sure that is what is in the picture.

Did you install the spacers correctly? If I were you, I'd re-read the instructions and take careful note of the intended assembly.

Have you ever driven a vehicle with an auto locker before? There are some quirks.
No i haven't driven a vehicle with auto locker before but i do know that something is not right that's y my car moves when it slips it sounds like something snaps.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:47 PM

When you took it apart, did you take out the old carrier side gears? If you did, did you take the thrust washers off of them? If you did the clearances will be off enough for it to be loose. So it will drive straight down the road, but it will make a clicking noise. It definantly seems like something is off. Could it be something to do with the springs in the locker? I would have to read the instructions for that particular locker to tell if everything was installed right. What do you mean when you say your car moves? [/QUOTE]

Well i didn't take off the thrust washers is that thing like a shim its very very thin right? so u think i should take them thrust washers off all of it?

my truck moves for real its scary to drive that all i can say. it sounds like a snap from the locker sliping.

Last edited by 90_4runner; 11-21-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by leiniesred

well my tires aren't flat and im running 38" tires and i know the locker is not setup for 38" tires but had lots of friends running it like that with no problems.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Alex 400
Ok, they discontinued the EZ locker. I bought one on clearance and had it for about a week and it turned out to have manufacturing defects. The on of the pins lodged in the holes and wouldn't move basically turning it into a spool. Except when i was underload and going straight. it would pop and steer the truck into the curb or on coming traffic. Took it on the freeway and almost killed myself. Don't know what is going with yours, but it sounds kinda like mine did. does it grind the tires going around corners?
yes my cars does almost the same as urs but i dont even want to take it on freeway i'll kill my self or cause accident... But my tires doesn't grind or anything not that i know of.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 90_4runner
yes my cars does almost the same as urs but i dont even want to take it on freeway i'll kill my self or cause accident... But my tires doesn't grind or anything not that i know of.
so it does unlock when you turn? mine went full spool on me except when i didn't want it too, like going straight under high load. .
Old 11-22-2008, 01:18 PM

I have an auto locker and I have NO clue what you guys are talking about... Oh wait, I've got an Aussie
Old 11-22-2008, 02:22 PM

I have an auto locker and I have NO clue what you guys are talking about... Oh wait, I've got an Aussie
indeed!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:09 PM

yeah, i would have gotten one if they made one if they made it for the v-6. lol
Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 AM

maybe i should give detroit a call and see if they can help.