Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lift and driveline questions

Old 04-12-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift and driveline questions

ok, I did a quick search on this and there is a LOT of info on lifts and problems with the drive line. What I'm wondering is how much higher than stock have people gone without having to change their drive line. Would I be better off to build a 2 piece (3 U-joint) shaft, or lower the transfer case. I'm just kind of wondering how much Trouble I'm going to get into once I get everything in. I've been working on this suspension project for over a month and a half now and it's almost ready for finishing. The last thing I want to do is get it finished and find out I can't move the truck without binding a U-Joint.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummm - how much lift are you looking to do here? And what kind?

If you rotate your pinion to have a good angle, you can do A LOT of lift before binding...

Oh - and a 1pc driveshaft is better for lift than a 2 pc...
Old 04-12-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I measured the angle of the drive line, I believe should be less than 11*. Check the flanges as they should be parallel. Ask how I know

Check Roger Brown's site http://www.4crawler.com/4Runner.shtml awesome info here.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine is up 7" right now in the back and I don't have any driveline problems at all. And I still have the 2 piece driveshaft in.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a very hard question to answer. Wear on the transmission flange an drear diff pinion bearings will affect this. For example, I just regeared and once again solved a driveling vibe issue that I had from stock to 2" of lift.

The flange angles do need to be equal and this can be very hard to accomnplish. On a side note, if you run a CV or double cardigan, you can rotate the diff to point at the t-case which increases drive shaft clearance. On a leaf sprung truck, you can have the angles equal at rest but the change in angle that takes place when you accelerate or decelerate can induce vibrations.

Those that are running more that 4-5" of lift without vibes on stock drivelines likely have tight bearings and good equal flange angles. If you have a stock diff at this point, good luck with the vibes but a $500 driveshaft couldn't fix what the new bearings during a regear did on my '89 4runner.

Frank
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very informative

Originally Posted by elripster
This is a very hard question to answer. Wear on the transmission flange an drear diff pinion bearings will affect this. For example, I just regeared and once again solved a driveling vibe issue that I had from stock to 2" of lift.

The flange angles do need to be equal and this can be very hard to accomnplish. On a side note, if you run a CV or double cardigan, you can rotate the diff to point at the t-case which increases drive shaft clearance. On a leaf sprung truck, you can have the angles equal at rest but the change in angle that takes place when you accelerate or decelerate can induce vibrations.

Those that are running more that 4-5" of lift without vibes on stock drivelines likely have tight bearings and good equal flange angles. If you have a stock diff at this point, good luck with the vibes but a $500 driveshaft couldn't fix what the new bearings during a regear did on my '89 4runner.

Frank