86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Let's hear some recovering/towing stories

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's hear some recovering/towing stories

Lets see some pictures and hear some stories of yota's pullin, I know these trucks aren't hardcore tow rigs but I've pulled out much bigger rigs than my own with my old rig.
Last weekend my buddy sunk his jeep and we tried to pull it out with an '86 3/4 ton dually that got stuck. My buddy's yota pulled him out, everyone thought there was no way it could but the yota prevailed. The toyota (stock) was the only truck not to get stuck out of the 4 rigs we had. We had to call a wrecker to winch the jeep out. These trucks flat out amaze me.
The stuck jeep
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296467
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296513
The Dually w/ new mudterrians trying to extract the jeep
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296552
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296639
Blake's toyota saving the day
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296709
We had to use a bobcat to move the chev into position so he exit the mudhole
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296830
Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
[IMG] photobucket [/IMG] Put those around your image links so that we dont have to click stuff. I hate clicking stuff. lol
Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 AM

thanks man, ill try it, sorry new to posting pics.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:46 AM

Last edited by 92sr5yota; 04-09-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:58 AM

Try using the "IMG for Bulletin boards and Forums" link code, you can paste it directly in.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recovery on Scott Turner Rd near Elbe hills

I did not even know this guy he posted a thread on NW-Wheelers.com asking for help. I was the only rig to show up, I had just swapped in a motor and was looking for an excuse to put it to work. I found out alot about the motor I swapped in and was glad to find the defects on this recovery trip before a hardcore wheeling trip.

The pictures dont do it justice! The guy was in about an 8' drop off the road. It took all my recovery equipment to get him out. If I did not have a winch, snatch block, bag of shackles, receiver tow points, three stretchy straps and tree savers,choker straps the recovery could of never happend.

Can you imagine trying to recover a flipped yota in snow?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:08 AM

Ok I got pulled out by a chevy LOL One for the chevy guys

Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 AM

I was recovered by a 4runnerdads trusty warn winch Thanks man

driving too fast (4hi 3rd gear LOL) on this snow covered trail lost control of my rig and it veered into a big root ball for a soft flop

You can see my tire marks in this picture where I drove up the root ball
Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Plumbrbob
I did not even know this guy he posted a thread on NW-Wheelers.com asking for help. I was the only rig to show up...
Lemme get this straight, this guy dumps his truck 8 feet down the side of a road, climbs out of it, gets to the road, walks home, gets on a computer, posts a thread and only then did someone come help him out?!?! WTF?

Kudos to you for that pull out though (that's what she said)
Old 04-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Last edited by 92sr5yota; 04-09-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 PM

Not a vehicle recovery but here's my old rig pulling my ice shack to the lake, it handled surprisingly fine, except going up grades.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM

wow! why would you wrap the strap around the bumper when you've got a perfectly good reciever??! that's a good way to lose a bumper!

that guy in the dually didn't look like he really knew what he was doing....

my story:

a buddy of mine has a 3/4 ton chevy on 36" TSLs. we were out riding around the day we had just put the tires on and he wanted to see how they worked. and it was one of those trips where the mud is either too shallow that you absolutely can't get stuck, or it's so bad that there's no way you're making it out alive. so i find a little flag pond, and i cut a trail through it, i get half way through in 2wd and can't go any farther, i put it in 4lo, back up about 2ft, and pulled it forward and got out. no big deal. so my buddy in his big truck goes "now let me show you how it's done" "ok, show me how it's done." he gets stuck in 2wd, locks it in 4wd and still can't move. now he's stuck, and sinking deeper. he keeps trying and trying. so i hook my strap up to him, and by now he's damn near framed out. i give it him a pull. he moves a little bit, but slides back into the hole. so i back up even closer, and pull a little bit harder, he moves more. by the 4th try i had him pulled out. i start messing with him "what happened man?" "i thought you were gonna show me how it's done?!" he's all embarrased, "shut up man!" tries coming up with excuses like "you're truck weighs less than mine" "my truck was just too heavy for that hole" i come back with "well, you've got twice the cylinders and 3 times the power.... and you're tires are bigger than mine, so what happened?"

after all that we parked for a little while, drank some beer, and what not. he goes to start his truck up, won't start. starter is bad. so i had to pull start him backwards to get him running again.

i never let him live that one down. and not once has he had to pull me out.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Stupid Fan Bracket!Let's hear some recovering/towing stories-allens-pics-027.jpg
Old 04-09-2009, 03:27 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
yeah that dually has no idea how to pull a stuck rig.. pulling perpindicular to the rig is only making it worse for both rigs.

~My story, or i should say my bro's. We were out camping in eastern washington, a 5 hour drive from home. We dicided to try fishing another lake the last day of the trip so I hook up the boat to my rig and he takes off in front of us. Keep in mind the roads where we were were very primitive gravel roads. For some reason he decieded to "race" us there. And as i watch the dust trail growing behind my bro's 98 4runner i turn to my friend and say man he's gonna roll if he doesnt' slow down. He's goin to fast. We turn around the corner and just as we get around the turn. Guess what i see. The bottom of a 4runner and my bro poping his head out of the passenger side window. we end up using the anchor rope from the boat to tie to the frame and i unhook the boat, line up and give him a tug. In the process of the runner coming to sit on all 4's the outboard motor in the back of his rig sticks the prop out the rear pass quarter glass. We took a look at the damage and end up bending the running boards out of the way, and reseting the bead on both driver side wheels. God i wish i had pictures. oh and a year and half later he rolled the same rig a second and final time.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 92sr5yota
Lets see some pictures and hear some stories of yota's pullin, I know these trucks aren't hardcore tow rigs but I've pulled out much bigger rigs than my own with my old rig.
Last weekend my buddy sunk his jeep and we tried to pull it out with an '86 3/4 ton dually that got stuck. My buddy's yota pulled him out, everyone thought there was no way it could but the yota prevailed. The toyota (stock) was the only truck not to get stuck out of the 4 rigs we had. We had to call a wrecker to winch the jeep out. These trucks flat out amaze me.
The stuck jeep
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296467
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296513
The Dually w/ new mudterrians trying to extract the jeep
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296552
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296639
Blake's toyota saving the day
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296709
We had to use a bobcat to move the chev into position so he exit the mudhole
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/w...g?t=1239296830

Can you please imbed your photos by clicking on the little yellow mountain sunset icon. Id like to see your photos, but i'm not going to go to click on each one of those links to see them. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:18 PM

i pulled a jeep out of some mud ruts it was high centered on. It was cool.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
Lemme get this straight, this guy dumps his truck 8 feet down the side of a road, climbs out of it, gets to the road, walks home, gets on a computer, posts a thread and only then did someone come help him out?!?! WTF?

Kudos to you for that pull out though (that's what she said)
YUP you got it

He floped it around 4am according to his story partying in the woods I figured. Him and his buddy hiked out and went home they called their buddys but they were a bunch of jeep cheerekees with no front drivelines, no winches, not even a recovery strap LOL Around 3pm I showed up to recover him. It took every single peice of recovery equipment I had to get him out nothing was sitting on the bench my hi-lift jack even went to work.

When I got him back on all fours he needed gear and motor oil to get the pig home and I supplied 2 quarts of motor oil and 1 gal of gear oil. He was also Hydro locked with motor oil but he had his own tools.

I did it for a couple slices of pizza and some pepsi that was my payment Oh and a few hours of swapping build and wheeling stories good times.

Karma my freind Karma, the weekend before I performed this act of kindness a guy who I only meet twice for a breif number of minutes towed me home for free when I spun a bearing. I offered him $200 bucks and he refused it by not taking me to the bank. The crazy thing was he left his yota at Tahuya while towing me home. So he had to go back and get his rig then drive back home, roughly a 4 hour tour.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
definately not my story, but my favorite example of crazy compound winching:

Toyota Landcruiser wrecker vs. 23000kg excavator

"This is one we did a few years ago. An excavator weighing 23000kg (~51000lbs) got stuck far away from the nearest road. Because the ground was very soft, the only wrecker we were able to drive there was our Toyota Landcruiser. We also had a frontloader and another excavator at our disposal. We used them as anchors but all pulling was done with the 2500kg (5500lbs) winch on the Toyota!

Yes the excavator crew were quite sceptical to say the least, but very impressed when they saw for themselfs that it worked!"

+

= winner

Last edited by corax; 04-09-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM

tha HEEP guy ant real smart is he?????
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
early this winter we were partying at my friends house. we were in the middile of a major lake effect snow event. we were all bs-ing about trucks when this girls bf started talking on yota's. His dislike of toyota's and his general pompous attitude made a few of us not like this kid at all. he picked up on the vibe and left unscathed...30 minutes later we get a phone call, dude lost control in the snow and ended up in the ditch...Karma... he was off the road 20-30 feet in a bunch of saplings. Penn-DOT's plow driver wouldn't pull him out so he called me, the kid didn;t think it i would pull him out to the point where at first he didn't even have his jeep running. then my drunk buddies started yellin at him to "get on it". i pulled him out w/ out spinnin a tire, the plow driver scraped the berm to bare dirt , then procedded to do doughnuts around the jeep to a crowd of drunk buddies hollerin and laughing. just another notch on the steering wheel! The kid comes over to my truck and says "thanks man, i owe you like 36 beers"...he never even bought me ONE beer!

I pulled my buddies recalled tacoma out after he got stuck hot dogging it in three feet of snow in my friends yard. Took years off my clutch and cracked my frame..woops! after that event, I bought my current ride (88 4 runner) for 700 bucks and my buddy traded in his truck the next day for a 9,000 payment on a brand new tundra super cab ugly monster. Idiot.....he still doesn;t believe that me pulling him out cracked my frame...

Quick Reply: Let's hear some recovering/towing stories