Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Leak around front housing where housing and motor attach

Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak around front housing where housing and motor attach

I have some leaks that I'm trying to pinpoint first before tearing into them. I have searched and found some good info but still not quite sure where they are coming from. I have a 95 4WD 5 speed 4runner with the 3.0 in it and R150F tranny. The first pic is of oil dripping off the housing that bolts to the engine just behind where the oil pan sits. It's on the left side as looking forward. The next pic is of the other side. The valve cove gaskets were replaced a week ago with fel-pro and there is no oil leaking form them upon checking. Everything is just as clean as when they were cleaned before putting the new ones on. Is it possible that the cam seals could be leaking from the back? I did clean the oil off off the housing after installing the gaskets so that I could monitor and make sure they were not leaking. However, in the second pic I did not clean the hoses off but the housing was wiped down and oil cleaned off. Thanks for any and all help!
Attached Thumbnails Leak around front housing where housing and motor attach-front-housing-left.jpg   Leak around front housing where housing and motor attach-front-housing-right.jpg  
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Looks like typical valve cover leak to me.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:33 PM

No, not typical valve cover leak... Valve cover gaskets were replaced a week ago and ARE NOT leaking. They've been checked and are clean as can be. At first after they were replaced I thought maybe some of the left over oil from when they were leaking was dripping down and it would slowly disappear as more would drip every time the engine was hot and slowly eventually stopping. However, that's not the case. If it is the cam seals, whats the best way to deal with that? I really don't want to have to take everything back off again if possible.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Ok. So it WAS valve cover leak, but you fixed that, so now it just LOOKS like V/C leak. Lol.

One thing you can try is to clean the area and wait for signs of origin.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:57 PM

i agree. clean the whole area and keep checking for the leak to re-appear and itll be easier to follow it back to the source.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Yes, was a valve cover leak but those are fixed and no leaking from them whatsoever now. I've wiped down everywhere that I can reach and oil keeps reappearing in the same spots in the photos. I'm not sure what symptoms to look for if it is the cam seals and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. It's so hard to see between them and the firewall as there's virtually no room. The problem with following the oil back to the top or wherever it's coming from is that I cannot see up there no matter how I angle or position myself. Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM

leaking rear seals are known to show oil around the bell housing and the back of the motor but so do alot of other leaks. are you sure its oil and not some other fluid?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Not sure if I understand what you're saying... What exactly do you mean by leaky rear seals?
Old 09-29-2012, 06:05 PM

I had oil in the same area it turned out to be head gaskets, I hope yours is just rear cam seal but if it is there is a cap at the back of each cam held on with 2 10mm bolts remove that and you can remove the rear seal though if you just add lots of sealant to the cap and reinstall that should stop your leak
Old 09-29-2012, 07:08 PM

After further looking it appears that my cam seals or the general area they are appears to have a bunch of oil and residue built up. Slowley23, just how do you get back there to take those bolts off and how do the cam seals come out? Do they slide up or just what? Hope it's not the head gaskets! That's scary s*%t!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 AM

I'm not sure how to get at with heads on I did mine when I did the HG's. The 2 bolts hold on a round plate once removed the seal slides out but the rear cam bearing cap may be clamping the seal, I would if ya can remove the plate apply heaps of sealant to that and reinstall, not sure if it can be done with intake plenum still on or not
Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 AM

Yes, it leaks after driving. I read a post where someone supposedly removed them with the valve covers in place by using a suction cup to pull the plates off. I will probably try that or something similar as I don't really want to take everything back off. I thought I was pretty thorough in replacing everything else I could when I replaced my valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago. Didn't even think about replacing the camsahft plugs. Problem was I was starting to have soo much oil residue on everything from leaky covers that I couldn't tell if anything else was leaking. Wasn't too bad of a job and only took 5 1/2 hrs taking my time.