Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LCE Headers w/Pro Flow Exhaust on 87 PU - Not Satisified

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCE Headers w/Pro Flow Exhaust on 87 PU - Not Satisified

So last night I finally got around to installing my new LCE headers with the Pro Flow Exhaust on my 87 Toyota 22R. I ran into some unexpected issues and am curious if maybe thats why I am not really impressed with the output and sound.

First off, I didn't replace the CAT and forgot to order a replacement test tube so in order to have enough tubing I had to use all the exhaust tubing that came with the header and exhaust system. The problem is that I had to use two pieces of tubing that both had the O2 sensor install hole. I was able to plug one because it came with the plug, however, the tube that came with the exhaust didn't come with a plug, so for now I wrapped metal duct repair wrapping around as a plug. I don't know if this is really going to seal it or not, thats one question I have.

I also didnt have the block off plates for the air injection tube, I have the block off plates that go on the exhaust manifold to plug those holes, but not to go on the actual tubing that wraps around the back, so I just went ahead and installed the air injection tubing back on with the new headers, however I don't know how well the seal is. You can see this on the picture.

I haven't really had a chance to drive the truck around more than 5 miles as a test but I don't see any noticeable HP gains and it sounds a bit between being a rice burner and needing a new muffler. However, I am not sure if its possible to get the low rumble sound on a 4cyl motor with any available exhaust system.

I did order all the block off kits to remove the smog gear from the engine bay, however is there really any benefit to this besides cleaning up the engine bay? I live in IL so emissions testing isn't relevant.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails LCE Headers w/Pro Flow Exhaust on 87 PU - Not Satisified-header-install-1-modified.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I already found the answer to some of my issues, the metal duct repair tape I used didn't come close to holding and it blew out which left the O2 sensor hole wide open so it was a major reason for the sound and lost of HP. Until my order of block plates come in I just bought some exhaust repair tape, it works ok but not great. However until I get that repaired I can't really tell if the header/exhaust upgrade was worth the $$.

Still curious if removing all the emissions equipment will have a negative impact on the wear of the engine. I just rolled over 100k miles and want at least another 100k to feel like the $$ I put into the truck is worth it. It gets addicting trying to get the most out of these little trucks.