86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Late model Intake, supra afm, and long block

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late model Intake, supra afm, and long block

Finally decided I need a long block, long story but at 365,000 on mostly original parts I don't feel like farting around with things one piece at a time. SO on to the question and help part of my posting. I have search and can't get a straight story out of any of the posts. First question what do you suggest changing with the long block? What upgrades would you suggest with the engine? What exhaust do you suggest(stock one is a little holy)? What years can I pull the late model intake swap off and what parts will I need to get with it(can't find a clear idea in my searches)? What years can the Supra AFM be pulled off of to work with my truck? Oh and I have to stay smog legal CA. Thanks for any help guys ever little bit will help. Oh last thing money is not an issue really but I do want to save a little

Last edited by CitrusTheDragon; 01-30-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM

'82 Supra only. Part on the AFM is 43110.
edit: I believe the complete part # is 22250-43110.

I installed one on my 92 and had no issues. I even had to smog it last month and it was VERY clean (after I installed a new cat -- old one was WASTED). It will pass the visual as it is a "stock" Toyota part...says Denso on it and all.

I had to run a different air filter set-up on it. I was using a Downey intake and just hogged out the opening to match the size of the larger AFM.

At any rate, bottom line is the part info above and that i had NO issues with CA smog.

Also, I have a wideband. My part throttle readings are about 14.2 or so. So, I am running slightly rich at cruise, but not too rich to cause an issue. I have not adjusted the AFM yet, but may tweak it a bit in the future to get it closer to stoich.

Last edited by tgergen; 01-06-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Just a suggestion since this is what I plan on doing if my 22re ever hits the crapper: go to Dave'z Offroad and pick up longblock. He's very reputable and local to us. He also carries an exhaust kit that includes a new CAT and is cheaper than any exhaust shop I've gotten quotes from - planning on getting one sometime this year because mine's like swiss cheese. he also carries the TG header, but don't think i'm going to upgrade my header unless it's a Tri-Y design for the low-end since I hardly ever rev into high RPMs.

as for intake I have no suggestions. stock intake works for me. i'd rather not put a cone filter on my truck out of personal preference and because I might go snorkel someday. perhaps swapping intake with the battery would be my suggestion so there's less distance and connector tube not going over the radiator. you gotta remember that with ALL the performance mods you can do, you're not gaining much hp and will spend lots of $ to get them...i'm cool with stock rebuild that will give another few hundred thousand miles.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When you ask about the late model intake, are you saking about an AFM swap or the late model upper intake swap, or both ?.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he means both the newer model intake and the AFM swap... i think
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
When you ask about the late model intake, are you saking about an AFM swap or the late model upper intake swap, or both ?.
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
he means both the newer model intake and the AFM swap... i think
Yep your right I am doing both. In fact I found a remand 82 Supra AFM for 148.98+tax

I am not looking for power up grades I'm just looking to do a little better then stock. I am buying everything brand new or remand. Working for a shop I am getting killers deals on thing so the big bucks thing will be stuff I can't get through my shop or our vendors.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
maybe a head and cam from engnbldr too? should be pretty sweet when you finish
Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM

my long bock comes with head and cam already
Old 01-06-2011, 05:05 PM

I think I read somewhere I can use a TB out of a supra too but don't know what year, I think when I am don e with this I will write a tech tread about how to do an upgraded 22re with bone yard parts but first I gotta find out everything that can be done a test it out to see if I am happy with it
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 PM

I have the upper intake and throttle body off of a 90 22RE, and the larger AFM from a cressida. I plan on doing the battery intake swap, and swap in the late model upper intake this summer.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM

I have the upper intake and throttle body off of a 90 22RE, and the larger AFM from a cressida. I plan on doing the battery intake swap, and swap in the late model upper intake this summer.
What about a TB off a supra or cressida
Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
my opinion? quit trying to look for performance upgrades. you'll never get what you want, and you'll find in the end, completely unsatisfied... save your money.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
my opinion? quit trying to look for performance upgrades. you'll never get what you want, and you'll find in the end, completely unsatisfied... save your money.
I have to replace all these parts any ways why not upgrade while I'm at it
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
What about a TB off a supra or cressida
The throttle body off of the supra might work, but not sure. The throttle body off of the cressida won`t work.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Actually the upper intake swap from a 90 up 22RE will make a difference, the later model upper intakes have better air flow because its not angled down in the front, and add in the larger AFM and you should see a noticable improvement.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 PM

The throttle body off of the supra might work, but not sure. The throttle body off of the cressida won`t work.
Why won't it work???
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by CitrusTheDragon
Why won't it work???
The cressida is a 5M-GE engine, the intake mount is different than the 22RE, you could probable make an adapter to make it work.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Actually the upper intake swap from a 90 up 22RE will make a difference, the later model upper intakes have better air flow because its not angled down in the front, and add in the larger AFM and you should see a noticable improvement.
The funny part is I am doing this just to do it. If I get the power gain great but I thought since I have to change the parts anyways I probably should have a little fun and try some upgrades, maybe I'll get better fuel mph
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 PM

The cressida is a 5M-GE engine, the intake mount is different than the 22RE, you could probable make an adapter to make it work.
See thats funny I read a post that said it should work. In fact the guy says he used one off of a cressida

http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=7543.0

Last edited by CitrusTheDragon; 01-06-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
because you need to pass smog. you're not gonna see any increases in power what so ever, so whats the point of screwing with it and jeopardizing your legality?

Quick Reply: Late model Intake, supra afm, and long block