86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Knock Noise from exhaust pipe exit

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock Noise from exhaust pipe exit

Hey guys new here first post so i hope I'm in the right area, anyways i have a 91 4x4 pickup 3vz and i was 4 wheeling at the beach yesterday all went find i went down want steep berm and heard a clunk like something hitting my undercarriage but other than that nothing out of the ordinary shorty after the berm i pulled off the beach when up a little steep sand hill and stopped on top then reversed out when i starting pulling forward again to leave the beach my truck starting bogging out and loose power drastically i made it to the road but when ever i let of the gas for too long or went to an idle it would die. id start it back up and go a little bit forward over and over till she died completely. I hopped out and checked my sparks and fuel pressure all fine had to wait for someone with a ratchet set first tho so after sitting for 30 mins or so she fired up and drove home but now it making a ridiculous loud noise from the exhaust kinda like a card in a bikes wheel but way louder and obnoxious. From out side it almost sounds like my motor is kicking if i drive by. I assumed it was metal flapping in my muffler because it always had a big hole it since i got it, so i got home and sawed it off but the noise is still there. Hasn't had any problems running since i started it back up from the beach but just making so much noise. Its coming directly out the exit of the pipe no sound from the cat or motor or any heat shield just straightt out the pipe. i looked down it with a flashlight and its clear see straight to the cat. Any ideas? also i cleaned the intake which had a bunch of crap in it
Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You removed your Muffler and you now have a loud exhaust ?? Interesting ??

What supports are left holding the remains of the exhaust system??

Vibrating around hitting something ??

Did the exhaust manifold break yet ??
Old 01-06-2017, 08:28 AM

it had a hole in the muffler so it was already loud removing the muffler didnt make it any louder at all and it didnt remove the raspy noise, all the supports are holding except for the two rubber bushing at the end holding the tails pipe becuse there no tail pipe to hold there anymore and ive gone up and down it isnt hitting anuthing
Old 01-06-2017, 09:10 AM

Sounds like you cracked your exhaust manifold. The hole changed the reading to your O2 sensors and that could be a reason why your truck was dying for awhile there. Just a guess though, but I would
poke around the manifold and see if you did and damage.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:07 PM

i got a code 25 today so that would make sense for my o2 sensor ill look it over in a moment i drove it today and theres minor power loss and the sound is almost like metal flapping but i dont hear any noise coming from up by the manifold or cat. i was thinking of switching the cat anyways but ill check out the manifold first could the cat going out cause noise out my exit pipe? i have had bad cats before but the noise allways came from the cat itself

Last edited by askidy; 01-06-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:15 PM

manifold seems fine