86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

killing the truck. POWER!! 22re plow truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
killing the truck. POWER!! 22re plow truck

Hi all, I was wondering I'f anyone could give me some feedback on somethin...
my truck is:
1992 Toyota pickup 4x4
New rebuilt engine 22re
5 speed
6 1/2 ft western plow.

My problem I have is I don't have enough power to run my plow pump long enough for plowing for a chunk of time, about 10 mins of straight plowing drains battery fast, if I run it to much it drains the battery to much and kills the truck.

I have a few plans to fix it

Dual batteries: but where to put the second one.....

HO alternator: short on money so need to find something cheap

Any info to help on this subject or opinion on how to fixs this problem would be great

Thanks ahead of time
Old 12-22-2012, 12:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just how does it kill your truck??

Something is either wrong with the charging system of your truck or the motor of the plows pump.

Now i run the best battery I can get from Interstate perhaps your battery is weak

Do you have a hard time starting your truck as well??

Bottom line the stock charging system in good condition should have no problems.

While the dual batteries and high output alternator are great for doing a lot of winching for the little use of moving your plow up/down left/right I think it is overkill!!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:37 AM

I have an 88 with about the same setup (fisher plow). I just converted it over to electric/hydraulic. I am able to plow with no big issues. However, all of my electrical components dim when using the plow. Therefore, I just bought an HO alternator off ebay (120 amp Denso rebuild). I just got it yesterday so I haven't installed it yet. However, I expect it to drastically change the small issue I have. $104 or so shipped! Not too bad considering. Plus I have been told by two different builders of these that I will not be required to upgrade anything additional (plug and play). I'll let you know when I get it hooked up.

I doubt the dual batteries will help too much if you claim to be killing the truck in 10 minutes... Basically you would be killing your secondary battery in 10 minutes and then killing your afterwards. The 60 amp alternator probably wouldn't charge fast enough considering how much your plow seems to be drawing...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-4RUNN...ad92a5&vxp=mtr
Old 12-22-2012, 05:21 AM

Would have to agree I had same plow in my 94 pickup 22re as well, that set up never let me down. I only did a few driveways but I never experienced the battery drain. I always plowed in 4 lo and the truck still had the original clutch in it when I sold it with 180,000 miles on it.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 AM

Thanks everyone. It kills my truck by draining the battery to fair...I know my biggest problem is my alt is getting weakand is probably chunk considering it worked and plowed good last year. But I'm looking to upgrade my system with a good alt and possibly dual batteries And ya let me know how that alt works.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:06 PM

I plan to install it soon. 2-4 days depending on time. I will definiately let you know.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Thank you. What type of alt do u have on it now that is working fine?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would just get the ho alt batteries are expensive and a second battery would just mean you could plow for 20 mins and the ho alternator could mean you could plow for a long time
what i dont understand maybe need to educate me on plows but the only electrical load should be when you are going up and down right which would be a winch on for what 5 seconds at a time something doesnt sound right but i have never had any exp with a plow setup so i may be wrong
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM

The biggest thing is I know my alternator is weak so that's why it dies right away..I tested that. And yes the electrical loads are when lifting up and left and right, not lowering. Ik a good stock alternator will work with just dimming my lights underload.

I'm just looking to overcome that and seeing what everyone would recommend to do.

Most people running plows are running a dual battery setup, I'm just wondering where I should put the second battery if I do (probably move both to the box). Which Ik will help a lot with a GOOD stock alt in my truck

Alternator I'm just looking what i can get for a HO for relatively cheap. Otherwise ill throw a stock one in

Thanks again
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just go to a yard get one of the GM Alternators there are lots of threads telling which ones are the best .

Buy or build your own brackets no doubt the most expensive part!!

Problem solved

No matter what alternator you use with a dual battery set up it has to be set up to charge the batteries separate. A dual battery isolator is the way I went years ago.

Like have the plow run off one battery and the rest of the load off other battery.

If you have not all ready done so it would not be a bad idea to replace all your battery cables and terminals and the wire coming off the Alternator B terminal. These things go bad from age
Old 12-23-2012, 04:17 AM

I had the same problem on my 91. I ended up changing the alternator with a stock one and puttin an optima red top in the truck. It has been very good so far, tho I cannot use the plow pump for extended periods of time still with out dimming of components.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 AM

I agree with the gm alt it would be fairly cheap to get one from junk and i think te bigger ones output twice the toyotas measly 60 amp
Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know where I can find where the tread about using gm alt is? I was thinking about this from the start...I have a few laying around
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 AM

i would go to google and searchgm alt swap then put yotatech after your search ive had trouble with the yotatech search engine unless the new setup is better havent had to use it yet but just start ressearching and eventually youll find the thread where somebody did a write up about it.
i need to upgrade my alt from my calculations when im driveing down the road at night with head lights, 2 100w offroad lights, ecu taking its power my alt is maxxed from that and i want more lights so ill have to figure something out
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Check this out. It has a ton of info. I am going to go this route as well. There is also a thread here of a dude putting in a Jaguar alternator that is a 120 amps on a 22re. It has the same plug as ours so it might be made by Denso.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Peterbilt17
Thank you. What type of alt do u have on it now that is working fine?
I have just an Autozone replacement 60 amp. I have plowed for over an hour straight without killing my battery. But, just like you my lights dim when putting the plow pump under load. I looked into ALL of the alternator options. I just didn't like the idea of buying a bracket or making one to use either a junkyard GM alternator or buying a new one WHEN it would appear that a direct fit 120 amp Denso rebuild exists. Again, I will get back to you in a couple of days (balancing x-mas duties with my 2 little boys and wife) on how this works.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13563006681482
Old 12-23-2012, 08:57 PM

That's everyone again. I think I might go the gm swap way. I already got my top and bottom brackets fab up ( took about 20 mins). I have a few alt sitting around that fit my new bracket but I'm trying to figure what amp one to run. I have a 60,80 and possibly a 100 laying around. Which one would u guys recommend??
Old 12-24-2012, 04:23 AM

I had a 96 F250 that had the 5.8 liter gasser with a Meyer plow that I bought that way from the dealer. I believe the stock factory alternator was a 95 amp job. If it was me, I would go with 100 amp alternator basing it on how my truck worked when plowing. You have the figure also that the battery in my Ford was bigger than ours also. Probably at least 725 cranking amps....I'd go with the 100 amp alternator to keep up with the electrical demand of a plow pump.