Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Killed my headgasket on my 22re, quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killed my headgasket on my 22re, quick question.

Hey all.. I did something dumb tonight, and left my radiator cap off.... it literally didn't even get into the red and touched the H by the time I shut it off.... Realised my dumb mistake and put a gallon of coolant in it and put the cap back on. Nope, coolant out the exhaust. I'm thinking the PO lied to me when he said he just did the headgasket... I've overheated a bunch of cars and didnt blow a HG... this one just went like nothing..... Anyways....

What should I get before I do the HG job? New timing chain? Timing components? I own 3 JZ cars but never had a car with a timing chain. I'm all for replacing all the things that I need to while it's apart. I'm sending the head out after I get it done... I also might turbo it for ˟˟˟˟s and gigs.

Any advice? What to buy? Helpful links? I'll prolly end up buying a bunch of ˟˟˟˟ from rock auto... unless everyone tells me otherwise. Also might just get an MLS so I know it will never break ever. I plan on keeping this truck forever so any advice will be warranted.

It's a 1988 22re truck btw.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
pull the head have it surfaced and have the valves tested at a shop. Have a valve job and a cut if needed. Buy a DEALER head gasket. Check the timing guides and chain for wear or play. Do a timing job if it needs it. See if the timing components are the original or if it has been done. It is a lot more work on top of the head gasket to do a timing job while you are in there. The head comes off from the top. The timing comes off from the front. You can see what is involved if you look at it that way. Check the cam and get a good look at the cylinders to see what shape they are in. We order from Rock Auto all the time. Big savings on OEM if you know what you are doing, the shipping can get a little crazy though.