86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just replaced head gasket on my 3vze and now water is coming out of the back

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced head gasket on my 3vze and now water is coming out of the back

I just replaced the head gasket on my 95 4runner with the 3VZE motor... It starts up and all but when i went to put the water in the radiator, all the water came poured out of the back of the motor and i cant seem to find out were its coming from.. I checked the freeze plugs and they were still there so im just confused now... so if there is anybody out there that can help me figure this out that would be great
Old 07-07-2008, 10:34 AM

this may not be any help but i had the same thing happen on my 22r. there was a cover that extended a water jacket around the back of the engine that i missed replacing a gasket on. the cover was only about 2 to 3 inches high and about four inches long and had about 5 bolts. i dont know if the 3vze has a similar design or not? just a thought
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM

check the coolant distribution block near the rear of the intake. there's about a half dozen coolant hoses back there. dry it up, start the motor and see where the coolant is leaking from.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4RrunnerJ
I just replaced the head gasket on my 95 4runner with the 3VZE motor... It starts up and all but when i went to put the water in the radiator, all the water came poured out of the back of the motor and i cant seem to find out were its coming from.. I checked the freeze plugs and they were still there so im just confused now... so if there is anybody out there that can help me figure this out that would be great
Could have posibly put the gaskets on the wrong sides??? could cause such a thing ive seen it happen to a friend of mine on his accura
Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Blurr
check the coolant distribution block near the rear of the intake. there's about a half dozen coolant hoses back there. dry it up, start the motor and see where the coolant is leaking from.
X2
Old 07-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blurr

Well the thing is that right as i put the water in the radiator i dont even have time to start my car before it start pouring out.. and also in order to get to the distribution block would i have to take off the intake plenum and intake manifold or just the plenum?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:31 PM

and also i forgot to mention was when i went to put the intake manifold on there was a sensor or something right next to the head that kinda looked like a fuel injector and it had a spot to put an electrical connection on and i was never able to find the connector,, is there even a plug that goes on it
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM

and also i forgot to mention was when i went to put the intake manifold on there was a sensor or something right next to the head that kinda looked like a fuel injector and it had a spot to put an electrical connection on and i was never able to find the connector,, is there even a plug that goes on it
Sounds like the cold start injector. The connector is probably under the plenum somewhere, it runs under the plenum with the rest of the injector connectors.

The rear distribution block should be visible from at least the passenger side without pulling the plenum.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

you see water pouring out without starting your engine?

again, i'd clean up the mess, have a buddy slowly fill your radiator while you look closely at the rear of the intake (definitely visible without removing anything) and see where the coolant is pouring out from.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 PM

alright well i will give that a shot right now then
Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

i was looking at the rear of the intake and i couldnt seem to find the distribution block,, im not to sure as to what it actually looks like.. sorry about all the questions im new to the car stuff.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:52 PM

if you have a hole and water is leaking, it sounds like the sensor for the cold start injector, check the left side rear of the manifold while someone pours water in her, see if thats it.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Here's a picture of the water distribution block (with the intake+plenum removed)

Old 07-07-2008, 03:41 PM

that is an excellent picture and I had no idea that was called a distribution block when I went to buy a gasket for it. but anyway I had the same problem after rebuilding my 3.0 and I had had to replace the gasket and re tighten down all the hoses on that litte block before it finally stoped leaking. another thing I missed is the liitle hose under the throttle body that coolant leaked through that eventually ran out towards the back of the engine.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM

o thanks for the picture, thats exactly what i thought it was, im not sure if it was coming from there but it was pretty close, i just took the plenum off right now so now i am gunna b able to get a better look at it, is there supposed to be a gasket over the hole? cuz if so then i never did put a gasket on it
Old 07-07-2008, 03:45 PM

o nevermind that hole is part of the manifold
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM

i found the problem...it was the distribution block,i didnt know there was a big hole under it and i never tighened those nuts....thanks guys
Old 07-07-2008, 04:20 PM

does anyone know what this thing is,, its the one with the blue thing on it and the other blue thing broke off
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (22.0 KB, 171 views)
Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM

does anyone know what this thing is,, its the one with the blue thing on it and the other blue thing broke off
i dont see a pic....
Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 PM

That pic is very tiny, hard to tell, but looks like one of the sensors in the distribution block?

Quick Reply: Just replaced head gasket on my 3vze and now water is coming out of the back