Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just got my first 'Yota

Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my first 'Yota

Just got my first 'Yota-kf4y0.jpg

Got this truck with with 22r 170k miles for $3700, wadda ya think good deal or no? Im not a mechanic and I didn't have it looked at by a mechanic but I'm not really too worried about it, maybe I should be whatever. I drove in a strait line and hit the brakes while not holding on the steering wheel and it stopped in a strait line, I put it in 4 low and started turning slowly to see if the 4x4 works and it does and I also ran my finger around inside the frame to check for rust and none was detected Wadda ya think of my truck checking-out skills? What else should I have checked that I still need to check?
power steering but the previous owner installed it, after driving away I noticed ( . . .) that when
I turn tight circles it sounds like something is catching on something, to me it sounds like a piece of
sheet metal being "flicked", doesn't seem like a big deal but tomorrow morning I'll be working on it
for sure. Anybody got any tire size and gear ratio suggestions with no lift in mind? just want a badass
truck that I can drive somewhat frequently, also where can I find some type of list of all things that
need to be maintained and all known mechanical issues, previous owner was saying something about keeping a part of the suspension or steering lubed. Around 170k miles what should I be planning on replacing soon that kind of stuff, pretty much just any general nooby yota owner advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited by OMGitsBigCheeze; 03-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Moved to section where others can post

Welcome to Yotatech

:wabbit2:
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Your popping noise is normal from the front end, run a search and you will find mass topics on it. As far as future plans for lift tires etc search is your friend.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 04-06-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 AM

I took the roll bar off, got new shocks and some 31" mud tires. Should I start planning on replacing the clutch in the future with these bigger tire? What size gears do I need with 31s and no lift?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:48 AM

congrats on your first yota look like you got a good deal
Old 04-06-2012, 07:56 PM

First off, Welcome to Yotatech the land of infinite toyota knowledge. Looks like you got a good deal. Better than what i got but my trucks on its way to being awesome, just slow and budget friendly. Search here and u will find everything u need know. Theres a thread call "what size tires" or something like that, it has a lot of answers to ur questions. I thinks its 410 gears for 31, 488 for 33" tires, 529 for 35s and up. But i could be wrong someone else can correct me if i am

Good luck and enjoy your yota.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by OMGitsBigCheeze
I took the roll bar off, got new shocks and some 31" mud tires. Should I start planning on replacing the clutch in the future with these bigger tire? What size gears do I need with 31s and no lift?
Nice truck man, I like the condition it is compared to the rig I started with a month ago. 31 tires will be great for the truck and as far as clutch to be on the safe side it a good idea to move up to a 1300 ft-lb pressure plate clutch that LCE engineering or Marlin offers (I would recommend marlin for sure). I think you are safe with the stocker clutch, but its all in how you want to drive her. If its daily cruiser then probably not. If its an off-roader for life, maybe. If you are driving rallies like me, ehhhh yeah ya need it.

Enjoy the truck I love mine already
Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 AM

Cool thanks guys
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol 31 inch tires come stock on 4runners you dont need gears or a clutch yet!!!

go and enjoy and wash that nice yota!!!!!! i like your little red truck!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 AM

Thats what I like to hear
Old 04-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're worried about the added weight of the bigger tires on your drive train... ditch the stock steel wheels and get something lighter...

Sweet little truck man.

Some things most people do right away.. oil change, radiator flush, tranny flush, replace front and rear diff fluid, change spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, and lube everything up.

Now you have to ask yourself if you're the kind of guy who upgrades things before they have the chance to break, or are you not gonna touch it till it's broken? For me, it's easier to pull money out of the bank to replace broken parts than it is to "upgrade."
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 AM

regarding the previous owners "lube statement" Do you think he was talking about the fittings on all the joints on the output shafts/drive shafts?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Popping catching noise is probably the front flaps... I've noticed on mine that at certain turn angles the flaps/mounting nuts catch the treads... no big deal nothing to worry about... if it's a gringing noise at full lock it is the steering stops... they come with a plastiic cap that wears away over time... a little dab of grease will take care of it again no big deal...
welcome to the family
Old 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM

I just got some regular black steel wheels with the new tire which are pro-comp extreme muds, not sure how much lighter they are than stock, maybe later ill sell em and get some aluminum ones. So far I've done engine oil, oxygen sensor, shocks, and I've done the rear gear oil but still need to do front, transmission and transfer case. What's the difference between a tranny "flush" as opposed to just draining it out and re-filling it? After that I adjusted valve lash and its better now, I don't think the previous owner put any effort into this rig, plus he was a real douche bag from San Francisco so I pretty much saved this rig from a life of mediocrity.

The current catalytic convertor is welded in(quite poorly, albeit no leaks), from what I've read they are bolted in with a flange from the factory so I'm pretty sure someone at one time stole the catalytic convertor off it. New cat has no downstream oxygen sensor, is this a problem as far as performance? Later I definitely plan a header and all new exhaust system, the airbox/battery swap with the cone filter looks cool too and I'm gonna try to get a 82 supra afm also Pretty sure im gonna go with the magnaflow cat and flowmaster muffler. Anyone got recommendations for header, LCE or NWOR?

BTW, Once I get 10 posts, I'm gonna list that roll bar for sale here. I don't know if the lights work and the housings has little rust spots all over but nothing think couldn't be fixed with a sand blaster or sander.

Last edited by OMGitsBigCheeze; 04-08-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Aviator I just noticed it says you ported your afm, can I do this to a 22re and how does it compare as far as cost/effectiveness goes?