Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

just got a job at chrysler, might have to sell the yota :~(

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got a job at chrysler, might have to sell the yota :~(

i proudly drive my toyota around detroit metro area, all the while getting glares for driving a non-american vehicle. i'm sure this happens somewhat elsewhere around the country, but NOTHING like in detroit metro. people here have an intense hatred for foreign vehicles. it's bad. i even notice a massive difference when i drive 3 hours west to western michigan. it's BAD here.

but anyways, here's my dilemma. i just got a job at chrysler, i start on thursday. i LITERALLY will have to park across the street because of my toyota. chrysler doesn't make much product that i'm interested in, but even if i found a jeep or something that was acceptable, that would mean i would have to sell my 4runner. this sucks. i don't know what to do. am i the only one on yotatech that works for the american big 3?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 AM

just slap jeep badges on ur 4runner.............. appearently some ppl don't know the difference anyway. (yes iv been asked the question "is that a jeep?")
Old 11-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is you driving a "non-American" vehicle going to cause problems with the job you do or just with the dimwits that you work with?

If someone tells you to park your vehicle somewhere else because of the brand then that could be considered discrimination. If your co-workers are making comments or rude gestures then that is a hostile work environment. Lawsuits get started from crap like that.

I'd park right in front.

I do understand your situation though. If you have to park across the street to keep the job (especially in this economy) then park across the street. You could even tell folks that you're just driving the "ricer" until you can save up enough for a new Dodge Diesel.......
Old 11-03-2009, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tell the boss to consider it subliminal motivation for Chrysler to make a better product.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dude, no worries. with an older style grille (84-85) and a couple gold bowties, you can make it look just like an old S-15 mini-Blazer. do it like this:

if in doubt, just keep adding more plastic $#!+ from jc whitney til you can't tell the difference.
and if anyone actually does figure out its a yota, tell 'em its chevy powered. just don't open the hood.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 11-03-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Everytime i have driven around the Nissan Plant, Saturn or GM plants in my area i have always noticed other brands of cars parked in the lots. I really doubt they will give your crap or demand you park elsewhere in order for you to go into work.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Just tell em you only drive your yota when your dodge is in the shop.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 PM

Yeah dude, no problem at all:

Old 11-03-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by wilshire

Haha, I like it!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cover your truck in tarps and tell people it's a prototype for a truck that's better than anything Chrysler presently makes? Lots of those covered up cars driving around Detroit.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-03-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ayoung101
just got a job at FIAT, might have to sell the yota :~(
Fixed it for you. What if you drove one of these would they do the same?

It's a foreign car, made by their owners...D-Oh!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM

if somebody gives you crap about it...make a lawsuit out of it...i hate it when people act like that towards me just because i drive a yota...i don't have anything against dodge chevy or ford...i've pulled out more full size fords and chevy's than anything else though......and i've also seen more ford pickups and chevy pickups broke down than any other vehicle..

i drove a 2002 dodge diesel 4x4 6spd for about 2 yrs.....it was the best vehicle i've ever drove...and i will buy another...i'd trade all 3 of my toyota's just to get a '98-'02 dodge diesel 4x4 QC SB 5spd or 6spd...i won lots of truck pulls at my school with that truck..and only got it stuck once...burried it up to the frame...lmao..it had crappy A/T's on it though
Old 11-03-2009, 01:05 PM

Has anyone ever told you you're such a redneck?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Is you driving a "non-American" vehicle going to cause problems with the job you do or just with the dimwits that you work with?

If someone tells you to park your vehicle somewhere else because of the brand then that could be considered discrimination. If your co-workers are making comments or rude gestures then that is a hostile work environment. Lawsuits get started from crap like that.

I'd park right in front.

I do understand your situation though. If you have to park across the street to keep the job (especially in this economy) then park across the street. You could even tell folks that you're just driving the "ricer" until you can save up enough for a new Dodge Diesel.......

well, mostly the dimwits i'll be working with. but chrysler has "competitive vehicle parking" spots (not just toyota, fords and GM vehicles would have to park there also). it's just one of those things that people deal with around here, since 4 out of 5 people in detroit metro are involved with the auto industry. if i'd park right in front, i'd get keyed, windows broken, tires slashed. . .not so worth it. i've been using the excuse for driving a toyota that i've had it since back in college before i moved to detroit (true) and that it was free to begin with (not true) and that my next vehicle won't be a toyota (unsure if this is true or not) for a few years now. my last job was at the dodge viper plant (which is a VERY small plant, and therefore a VERY small parking lot, so the "competitive parking" was just in the back corner of an already very small lot, so it didn't matter) so i'm somewhat used to the hassles. but at my new job it's a pretty good walk.

one BIG bonus for driving my truck is that no one ever wants me to drive to lunch cuz "that thing might not get us back!" hahaha, idiots.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
Everytime i have driven around the Nissan Plant, Saturn or GM plants in my area i have always noticed other brands of cars parked in the lots. I really doubt they will give your crap or demand you park elsewhere in order for you to go into work.
they do, and they mean it too. (i've been in the auto industry for the past 4 years). tennessee is VERY different from metro detroit in regards to attitude towards foreign vehicles.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude Chryslers sucks ... jeeps are horrible with weak axles..

id just park in the foreign car parking .. then ask anyone if there 20 year old peice of americian trash works as good as your yota
Old 11-03-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by wilshire
awesome!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
then ask anyone if there 20 year old peice of americian trash works as good as your yota
ha, i've used that exact argument MANY times. basically say "show me a 20 year old american truck with as many miles that can take the abuse i give my truck and still run as good as my truck for $1000, and i'll buy it."
Old 11-03-2009, 01:28 PM

naw man, you don't want to mess with those auto workers when it comes to foreign cars. i'm surprised they gave you the job.

Nate's got the right idea. clearly that's a picture of another guy who's driving a yota to a domestic auto plant. says chevy, it's a chevy!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
so you're going to sell your yota to help save you the walk across the street.....? :o

Quick Reply: just got a job at chrysler, might have to sell the yota :~(