Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Jeep vs Toyota vs IH vs........

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jeep vs Toyota vs IH vs........

Someone answer this for me. Why is it that no matter what you want to build, how you want to run it or how you think it should look/function there is always someone with a different vehicle that wants to degrade your ideas and bash your vehicle? I mean how much difference does it make if I'm driving an 1986 Toy and you're driving an 2008 Jeep or an 1980 Scout? We all enjoy the outdoors, love to wheel and work on our rigs right?

Just tired of the crap from folks that don't understand why I love this rig so much........
Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Someone answer this for me. Why is it that no matter what you want to build, how you want to run it or how you think it should look/function there is always someone with a different vehicle that wants to degrade your ideas and bash your vehicle? I mean how much difference does it make if I'm driving an 1986 Toy and you're driving an 2008 Jeep or an 1980 Scout? We all enjoy the outdoors, love to wheel and work on our rigs right?

Just tired of the crap from folks that don't understand why I love this rig so much........
Well said. I agree 100% my jeep friends always give me crap and i give them crap but its all in good fun. i really hate when people get serious about it or try to tell me honestly that my toyota will never compare or whatever. Its true, in the end we all enjoy the outdoors and wheelin and should enjoy it only with light teasing.

Edit: This is really inevitable when your dealing with opionions though.

Last edited by algranger; 10-20-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just give my friends crap about their rigs for fun, (like them to me) its all about preference, every rig has thier positives and negatives.

The biggest negatives that I agree with people on Toyotas is of them being big rustbuckets! especially in Canada. Besides having slighly underpowered engines, their is not much serious crap talking you can do on a toyota 4x4 stock vs stock (older one anyway).
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM

i give, and joke about everyother brand, but just to joke.

honestly, i have no problem with any other brand. I could care less what you drive.

I prefer wheeling with other toyotas though, for the simple facts.... Of the pictures looking cooler and that if another rig/my rig happens to break, they generally use the same tools and parts.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My roomate drives a Jeep. So the Toyota vs Jeep smack talk is pretty much relentless in our house. It's all in fun though. I love my toyota, but I have nothing against jeeps. I'll even go as far as to say that I wouldn't mind having one
Old 10-20-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 904_runner
I prefer wheeling with other toyotas though, for the simple facts.... Of the pictures looking cooler and that if another rig/my rig happens to break, they generally use the same tools and parts.

I agree with this point above, but also "IT DOESN'T MATTER". Just do it...
Ona trail run recently we had 10 vehicles. 4 cherokees, 2 tj's, a yj, a fullsize dodge and an f250 w/V10, and two 4Runners.
This is typical. We wheel with suburbans, blazers, s 10's, all kinds of jeeps & willys, toyotas (p/u and 4 runner), ramchargers, bronco II's, early and late broncos, IH's, etc...

All of us enjoy getting out there. If it's friends you deal with then ribbing is to be expected. It should never be personal.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:39 PM

out the bone stock jeeps, older yj's and older cherokees, the one thing i think is really cool about our bone stock toyota trucks and 4runners is the ability to run 33's with very little modification. I have buddy with a cherokee and he has 235/75 on there and if he were to go any bigger a tire, he would rub bad. that being said, those jeeps all came with solid front axles. pros and cons.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM

All my friends who have jeeps with 3inch+ lifts on them develop major problems at about 100k miles. My buddys swaybar fell off his jeep with 110k miles when he was driving down the highway, and hes never messed with it... im not even sure how that happens?? Its lots of little things like that that youll never find on a toy.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well said.. i awlays found that cool about yotas fitting big tires... but it does eat up that ifs fast.. idler arms ect...

i say wheel what you got!

and i always got a toyota! but next time its gonna be a cruiser
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 PM

I personally prefere wheeling with different brands because somtimes it is nice to have the big v10 ford there to pull you out of the really nasty stuff, but it is always fun wheeling with yotas to get ideas and compare how they do things
Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM

I started off driving a beautiful 1995 4x4 pickup, should have never sold it, it was one of the best looking and driving things I've ever owned, but I didn't appreciate it, it was my first vehicle, I was in high school, wanted something that would make more of a statement and I didn't have the cash to make it look anything other than a toyota pickup with a nice exterior.

I'm now driving a 1981 Jeep CJ5 and while I love it, it hasn't held up to the years like Toyotas do. I've looked at an 81 4Runner that was rallied and my Jeep and they looked like they were in the same condition, and I've babied my Jeep. What the Jeep has that makes it unique is the fact that it's short, can go anywhere damn near stock, and is so easy to work on, there's a lot of room in the engine bay, and it isn't that common in the first place.

But damn I miss my Toyota, good mileage, indestructible, reliable as all hell, and there's a lot of people out there like you all who are very willing to help with any kind of issues.

As for the other 4x4 makes, ford, chevy, dodge, land rover, gmc, etc. etc...they're fast becoming obsolete with gas prices being the way they are. While being throaty and powerful, I just couldn't afford to buy one and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Its not the rig, its the owner. If they are a dick, then they can bugger off!

I will wheel with any kind of truck, as long as the people are not jerks..
Bashing of different kinds of truck is stupid, unless they have an obvious flaw, then its fun
Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM

No one ever busts my balls. Must be something to do with the guns in the front and rear windows
Old 10-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by NwRunner
All my friends who have jeeps with 3inch+ lifts on them develop major problems at about 100k miles. My buddys swaybar fell off his jeep with 110k miles when he was driving down the highway, and hes never messed with it... im not even sure how that happens?? Its lots of little things like that that youll never find on a toy.
Every manufacturer has their little problems i happen to know a few with yotas (bushings wearing out in the carb, head gasket issues, RUST). No brand is really that bad, but i do prefer Toyota over any other for a number of reasons. I also enjoy teasing eveyone that doesnt drive a Toyota but its all in good fun in the end were all good friends just havin a good time
Old 10-20-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
No one ever busts my balls. Must be something to do with the guns in the front and rear windows
Haha! Maybe i should mount my ass kickin bar on the front bumper..
Old 10-20-2008, 10:25 PM

Bring your knife to my gun fight my friend. It's all about reaching out and touching someone. lol
Old 10-20-2008, 10:37 PM

screw the guns. I'd rather do things the old school way. If I wanna show off, I'll give ya a long 2x4, axe handle, pipe, and see how well ya fare against 1 of my samurai swords. And if some1 really wants to compare firepower, well I can play that game,too.

But I've wheeled with all sorts of trucks, and people. Good natured bantering is to be expected, and fun. Goes with the territory. As long as it stays good natured, it's all good.

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 10-20-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:43 PM

^Oh yeah for the most part offroading people are generally good people. Who else would pull a complete stranger's truck out of mud up the windshield. We've all been there, done that, help a fellow offroader in need out.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Or as I've heard it among my toyota friends, "An offroader in need, is a broken birfield indeed." Lol
Old 10-20-2008, 10:55 PM

I like that. I'll remember that line......

Quick Reply: Jeep vs Toyota vs IH vs........