Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Issue with my 86' 4Runner

Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Issue with my 86' 4Runner

Hey guys,

So a few days ago while picking up a set of wheels my 1986 4Runner (22RE, manual hubs (permanently locked in), 5 speed, 2" lift) started making some loud noises, sounded like hollow aluminum rubbing (I don't know how else to describe it, it had that sort of resonance). It sounded like it was coming from the back. I looked under my 4Runner and the only thing i could see wrong was that both my cv's had shot grease all over the front suspension parts (I assume both cv's are worn and will be replaced soon as with the hubs.

The next day, the noise seems to go away and she's back to normal with only the occasional squeak. Fast forward a week to today and now i have this crazy vibration from 20-30mph, i know it's not unbalanced wheels or anything like that. Even stranger than that is the fact that today when i drove her home, it was shaking like crazy at any speed in any gear. The vibration was similar to when you are in too high of a gear in too low of rpms. Its like a whole vehicle shudder.

Any ideas?? I'm hoping it's just a driveshaft as i have a spare sitting in the back.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like a Universal joint or one of the constant velocity joints (considering you said you're permanently locked in). Once those things go bad, they go worse very quickly with day to day driving. Remove your drivesahfts and pivot the prop flange ends by hand in every direction (like a swivel socket). Typically if a U-joint is on its way out they sieze or come close to siezing and the prop flange end will not manipulate properly.

I imagine this sort of testing would be the same for a CV joint. In the event its not a U joint, I'd remove those next and manipulate the joing in every direction while "feeling" for smooth rotation and "play".
Old 04-04-2011, 12:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Seems like the CV's are making the noise/vibration. Since you said the hubs are locked in (permanently) and the CV's have blown grease everywhere I'd look there for the problem. It'd be the same for a blown CV on an ADD equipped rig with automatic hubs, the CV's just keep turning and if they are blown they just keep getting worse.

I have to ask why the hubs are permanently locked?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88

I am wondering the same thing. As already stated, I would look at the CV's, I once drove a car that had a bad axle and it felt like there was a wheel loose the car shook so bad.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
Sounds to me like a Universal joint or one of the constant velocity joints (considering you said you're permanently locked in). Once those things go bad, they go worse very quickly with day to day driving. Remove your drivesahfts and pivot the prop flange ends by hand in every direction (like a swivel socket). Typically if a U-joint is on its way out they sieze or come close to siezing and the prop flange end will not manipulate properly.

I imagine this sort of testing would be the same for a CV joint. In the event its not a U joint, I'd remove those next and manipulate the joing in every direction while "feeling" for smooth rotation and "play".
I will give that a try when i have a chance, it seems like I am always working...

Seems like the CV's are making the noise/vibration. Since you said the hubs are locked in (permanently) and the CV's have blown grease everywhere I'd look there for the problem. It'd be the same for a blown CV on an ADD equipped rig with automatic hubs, the CV's just keep turning and if they are blown they just keep getting worse.

Yeah i'm guessing that the CV's are the cause of the problem but i wonder why it's intermittent?

The hubs are perma-locked because of bad hubs, i have a set of hubs ready to put on but i haven't had the time or space.

Originally Posted by James Woods
I am wondering the same thing. As already stated, I would look at the CV's, I once drove a car that had a bad axle and it felt like there was a wheel loose the car shook so bad.
See above post for bad CV's. I wonder why the axle would suddenly go bad though? I hadn't done any offroading in months nor had i been drivng my 4Runner hard.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I wonder why the axle would suddenly go bad though? I hadn't done any offroading in months nor had i been drivng my 4Runner hard.
Well you said that there was grease all over everything, and if the CV's do not have any lubrication and they are constantly turning they are going to quickly go from bad to good as the bearings inside wear from lack of grease, rather driving on it hard or easy. It does however not explain why your problem is intermittent.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Brian, Brian, Brian......start with fixing the things that you know are wrong! If you already have new hubs then get on it. Doesn't get any more simple than swapping out hubs, literally under an hour with basic tools in the driveway thing. You have destroyed your CV's being lazy. If you think it is coming from the rear it could either be in your drive shaft or 3rd member (which you also supposedly have 4.56's you haven't installed right?)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by yotarob2005
Brian, Brian, Brian......start with fixing the things that you know are wrong! If you already have new hubs then get on it. Doesn't get any more simple than swapping out hubs, literally under an hour with basic tools in the driveway thing. You have destroyed your CV's being lazy. If you think it is coming from the rear it could either be in your drive shaft or 3rd member (which you also supposedly have 4.56's you haven't installed right?)
Ouch *laugh* Sounds like someone needs to get off the keyboard and into a tool box! (just poking fun, no hurt intended)
Old 04-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Ouch *laugh* Sounds like someone needs to get off the keyboard and into a tool box! (just poking fun, no hurt intended)
Sorry, maybe I did come off a little rough. I just don't know what the hold up is. I work 60 hrs a week and have 2 kids less than 5 years old and still mange to spend quality time with my truck.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Sorry, maybe I did come off a little rough. I just don't know what the hold up is. I work 60 hrs a week and have 2 kids less than 5 years old and still mange to spend quality time with my truck.
Ha! I've got no room to talk. I decided to take a year off of work in December, and am single with only a dog to worry about (and the new girl friend) and haven't wheeled more than 5 or 6 times this year. Heck the only thing I've done to my rig is new wheels and tires and that was last month!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

I work 60 hrs a week and have 2 kids less than 5 years old and still mange to spend quality time with my truck.
How gray are you? I have just 1 kid that turns 2 next week and I keep finding a new gray hair it seems like everyday now.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:51 PM

How gray are you? I have just 1 kid that turns 2 next week and I keep finding a new gray hair it seems like everyday now.
lol, I'm getting more gray everyday. I turn 31 in a couple days, feel like I am turning 51.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

I will be 30 later this year and yeah I feel like I am aging in dog years now.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:24 PM

lol, I'm getting more gray everyday. I turn 31 in a couple days, feel like I am turning 51.
I will be 30 later this year and yeah I feel like I am aging in dog years now.
Kids....

I'm 38 and the only reason I have gray hair is because my girl friend is 27........

Last edited by Junkers88; 04-04-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah my wife is 23 and whenever I see something from when I was a kid like the Pizza gnome from Domino's and I say "hey do you remember that?" She just looks at me like I am crazy and says "no, I am not old remember."
Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Well you said that there was grease all over everything, and if the CV's do not have any lubrication and they are constantly turning they are going to quickly go from bad to good as the bearings inside wear from lack of grease, rather driving on it hard or easy. It does however not explain why your problem is intermittent.
Yeah the intermittent thing is peculiar to me.

Yeah i know i need to get on these things but finding the time, well the space rather is the hard part. I really do need to get my lazy butt and start doing stuff. Not to mention i just just moved into my apt so im still getting settled in.

I agree with you 100% I work a good 60hr work week so finding time is difficult.

I envy your energy.